Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Windows Not seeing switchable graphics

Okay.

Have you tried other games and been able to verify that they show GPU usage on each GPU in Task Manager, depending on whether the application profile is set to Power Saving Or High Performance?

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

Yes... highly frustrated... AND not really with you guys. More with Dell but I'm overall cranky at this point. lol

I will try that for sure. Thanks.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

I would first follow amdmatt​ advice first. He is one of the Moderators for AMD Forums and works for AMD and his title is Technical Support Engineer.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

I checked Task Manager on my switchable graphics system. Both display devices show as AMD R7, when in fact the second is an R9 M385. I started Fifa 18 and set the profile to Power Saving and Observed GPU usage on the first AMD R7. I then exited the game and switched the profile to High Performance mode and observed GPU usage on the second AMD R7, which was positioned below the first.

Looks like Windows Task Manager cannot see the headless GPU either.

To be sure the High Performance GPU was actually being used, i measured the FPS and it was much higher when the second AMD R7 GPU was getting used and the profile was set to High performance mode.

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

I honestly don't have anything else installed on this machine other than Chrome and Open Office. I got it in April as a gift to myself so that I could raid more efficiently than on my work dell that only has the R5.

I expected to eventually install other games, but I've been insanely busy with work.

Do you have a recommendation for a game that doesn't have a gazillion gig download that would be an easy test? Would something simple like plants vs zombies or Luxor do it? I have an external DVD drive I can hook up and install little games I have around the house (My Mom in her 70s also games, but she likes those kinds of things now so we have tons of them).

Power settings I have tried, and there is no change.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Do you have the laptop power plan set to performance.

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

I went in to test again in Wow. I am getting something different this time, but I did run a few scans and trouble-shooting steps yesterday and haven't had a chance to test in game until today.

A new clue may be that while I am showing GPU0 (R5) and GPU1 (RX560) listed in task manager performance, BOTH are showing that they have 526MB dedicated and 3.7G shared.

While last time nothing was happening at all on the RX560, now they are showing the EXACT same thing in usage at this moment, and the usage is all in the 526 dedicated.

The RX560 shouldn't HAVE 526MB dedicated, should it?

I'm set to direct X 11 in game right now, because 12 gives me like 9 fps.

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

Just in case (from adrenaline):

R5:

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

Device ID - 9874

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 07E2

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - CE

Bus Type - PCI

Current Bus Settings - PCI

BIOS Version - 015.048.000.070

BIOS Part Number - 113-C75100-031

BIOS Date - 2016/09/13 06:01

Memory Size - 512 MB

Memory Type - DDR4

Memory Clock - 1200 MHz

Core Clock - 800 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 19 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 2.40 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

RX560

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - Radeon(TM) RX 560 Graphics

Device ID - 67EF

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 07E2

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - C5

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.050.000.000

BIOS Part Number - SWBRT01017.001

BIOS Date - 2016/10/18 23:38

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1500 MHz

Core Clock - 1053 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 96 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 6.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

So, you know, my question is:

R5 Has 512MB dedicated (my apologies for my above typos... I'm multitasking... always) and 3.7 shared in the RAM. K?

RX560 is 4G Dedicated

Now, is there a reason why Task manager would show the R5 usage on my RX560 now?

Now that I see this, I'm going to run hwmonitor again.

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

I gave a lot of thought to what Mark said about the display, and then re-read the post that was updated by Mark with more info. Thanks. 

So, I did a few searches and decided to try TechPowerUp GPU-z.... because I KNOW this isn't right. 

The results were interesting.

Once I launch Wow, the RX560 launches in TechPowerup, too, JUST like it shows up in adrenaline. However, look at the results:

https://imagebin.ca/v/4KTZOin4tdDN

NOW, look at the R5.

https://imagebin.ca/v/4KTaVinngn9m

This doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to me. I mean, the results make sense but why they are what they are does not. It has 100% of my RX560 used and just a wee bit of R5.

In Wow, I've shown before that I have only the R5 and autodetect available. Now, there is zero difference in the display and crap FPS between autodetect and R5 in game. I have to play on low settings and I get about 9-10 FPS in DirectX 12, about 30 in Direct X 11. I can switch and apply between the two with absolutely no difference.

So, amdmatt​, you're saying we're back to this being Blizzard? That it is normal for this card to not show anywhere? Is there anything I can do on MY end that can make it so it isn't maxing out this card and using the R5 instead?

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

Sorry I called you Mark. ooops

0 Kudos