Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Windows Not seeing switchable graphics

Yes, that is the driver of which I was speaking, of course. Sorry if I was clear enough to be completely understood when I said I used the manufacturer's driver. I'm sure you're used to completely tech-numb people posting here who have no idea what they're talking about, so I don't blame you, but while I don't do tech anymore, I worked as a resource analyst running a B2B tech support department for a software company.

I did my homework and quite a bit of troubleshooting before I came here. I need to dive deeper with someone than drivers and I need to bounce around ideas before assuming this is the card.

So, I ran the scan, good idea, and there were no integrity violations found. No real insights there.

I'm still not convinced it is a bad card, though, because don't you think there would be an error in device manager? Windows reports that it is working normally in the device manager, and Adrenaline can see it as well. If it was the card, my thought here is that the Dell Hardware scan would have picked that up.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow is using the high performance GPU for rendering as it is set to High Performance.

However, as the 560 is a headless GPU (it has no video display connections),the game will only be able to see the integrated GPU as it is the integrated GPU which is physically connected to the laptop display.

I see the same behaviour on my AMD Switchable Graphics laptop, so this is expected.

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you!, That explains why the Discrete GPU is not seen. Good to know for the future.

kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

This answers many similar posts....thanks amdmatt Now the question is...how do we bookmark this post/reply? I can't find the 'bookmark'...

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just to be clear, not all AMD mobile GPUs are headless, some of the higher end models have display connections. But typically all of the low-mid range GPUs are headless and are the most commonly seen on these forums.

I think you can only bookmark the thread.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

Yup...I had my blocker on...can see it now

madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

That's not the issue, unfortunately.

As I mentioned... whether I run task manager or hwmonitor, it isn't running when I have a exe listed as high performance running, including wow.

I'll get you all a screen shot when I am on that machine later, in case there's a question of what it looks like when the RX560 or any other card isn't being used.

So, while I appreciate the idea, unfortunately that isn't the answer.

What's next? Any ideas how to actually trouble-shoot this? To reiterate the questions:

If it was hardware don't you think there would be an error in device manager?

Windows reports that it is working normally in the device manager, and Adrenaline can see it as well.

If it was the card, my thought here is that the Dell Hardware scan would have picked that up, also.

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

@All...

I'd love for this to be easy, but it isn't. If it was, the smarter folks on the Blizz forums, the microsoft forums, Tom's hardware, or Dell forums --- or even AMD Email support --- would have been able to figure this out by now. That's why I''m giving this forum a try. 

I get wanting to go to the most obvious first. I do. We always reboot FIRST and check the batteries are in the right way FIRST, right? Makes sense... but we're waaaay beyond "working as intended."

But, please, it is a waste of all our time to not read the list of things happening before discussing bookmarking a non-answer for this issue.

I mentioned in the first post that it isn't running in task manager. I'm hopeful that's self explanatory, but, yes, you SHOULD be able to see the performance in the graph in task manager or hwmonitor. And while there is a spot for the Rx560 (so, Windows knows it is there, just like it does in device manager), there is no activity when there ABSOLUTELY should be. I hope that's more clear than the first post when I mentioned this.

As I mentioned in the other reply, I'll get you guys a screenshot later so you can see what it looks like in the task manager performance graph or hwmonitor when there's no activity and the integrated is VERY busy in case you've never seen that.  

0 Kudos
madbendystrawz
Adept I
Adept I

Oh and I don't want you all to take that the wrong way... I said "the smarter folks" I didn't mean in comparison to anyone here... I just realized how that must have sounded.

I meant the ones who answer and help the less technically inclined on those boards.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

I can tell by your answers that you are not a noobie in computers.

By the way, by your answers what I see is a very frustrated User

Just for troubleshooting purposes. Download a free Diagnostic program that I like using mainly because it is the only program that tests PSUs.

It is called OCCT (Download​ ).  The PSU Test is useless for a laptop. But I was wondering if it will see the RX card and if it does, try and run the GPU Test in full screen with the "Errors" box marked.  See if the GPU card is actually working by using the test.  Not sure how OCCT works in a laptop. So any information will be useful in the future if you decide to try it.

Or you can download any other diagnostic test that you are familiar with to stress test the Discrete GPU card in you laptop.

0 Kudos