Newcomer

Windows 7 x64 freezes when I install RX470 Driver

Specs:

Windows 7 Professional Edition x64

Intel i7-3930k CPU 3.20GHz

16.0 GB Ram

279GB Hard Drive

x79 extreme4 Motherboard

I have recently recieved a Radeon RX470 GPU as a gift and am trying to install it, replacing my Geforce ti 560. I used DDU to uninstall any graphics drivers, turned off my computer, and physically installed to graphics card. When I turned my computer on, it started up fine and the new GPUs fan was running & lights were on. I then downloaded the newest AMD driver for my card, and proceeded to install. Everything seemed to be going fine, the installation finished and I was prompted to restart my computer. I did so, and once I reached the "please wait..." screen before the account selection screen on windows, my computer hard froze. I shut it down and booted it up in safe mode, where it did not freeze. The driver seemed to be installed as my device manager was now recognizing the GPU. I uninstalled the driver, hoping it was simply a corrupt download, and booted my computer up again. Since the driver was uninstalled, it did not freeze. However I wanted to be safe, so I used DDU again to make sure it was totally uninstalled. This also caused my computer to freeze. I shut down, booted up, no freeze. I attempted to install the driver one more time. This time it froze while the driver installer was detecting my device. I looked up to see if there were any incompatibilities, and there are none. I thought maybe this was a hardware issue, but the freezes only happen when AMD driver files are being dealt with. I do not experience anything of this sort when I have my geforce gpu installed, which I do as of now. Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply

Is your computer fully updated?

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes