cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Vortix
Adept I

Windows 11 PC does not shutdown after Driver installation

After installing AMD Driver the pc is unable to shutdown, the monitor goes black but the fans,light etc are still active. If i deinstall the AMD Drivers i can shut it down. If i install a new version of windows, i can shut the pc down, but i get the atiadlxx.dll error wehen trying to install the AMD drivers. When installing the drivers with DDU to fix that problem, the pc does not shut down anymore.

Does anyone have an idea to fix that situation. Any fixes that require a restart cant be done, because the pc does not shut down.

7 Replies

With no information at all concerning your Computer setup including Make & Models the only thing I can say is that when you shut down Windows, Windows is either waiting for a program to end or is trying to stop a program.  Thus the computer never shuts down because Windows can't stop a process or is waiting for a process to end.

For instance if a program is running a scan and you shut down Windows at that time, Windows won't shut down until the scan finishes or Windows is able to stop the scan from continuing as an example.

So by uninstalling the AMD driver and Windows shut down normally seems to indicate that the AMD driver is waiting for the GPU to do something or is stuck in some sort of cycle which prevent Windows from shutting down.

Once you post your GPU Make & Model and Motherboard information and Windows & AMD Driver version installed someone might be able to give you better advice.

NOTE: As for the Atiadllxx.dll error this website give some good tips on how to fix that situation: https://www.howto-connect.com/atiadlxx-dll-windows-10/

Nature and Causes of Atiadlxx.dll error windows 10

Usually, damaged windows system files are responsible for the Update Atiadlxx.dll Windows 10 Error. Corruption in the system files entries may threaten the well-functionality of a computer. Additionally, various events can cause this error to occur. Let’s have a look at the causes:

a) Corrupted entries related to atiadlxx.dll in the registry.
b) Malfunction or faulty hardware system.
c) If the latest update of atiadlxx.dll file overwrites the old one.
d) When one program uninstalls a dissimilar program using atiadlxx.dll files.
e) Infection of atiadlxx.dll files due to malicious invaders like spyware, Trojans as well as other malware.

These activities are responsible for corruption as well as a deletion of entries in windows system files. There is information in the system files that help usually for well functioning of an application. Due to the corruption, information in the system files goes missing and throws the Update Atiadlxx.dll error windows 10.

I would first run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell : SFC /scannow  to repair any corruption in Windows 11.

Then I would use DDU with the Internet/WiFi disconnected and the AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD deleted. Then install the AMD driver and see if everything now work normally.

Mainboard: MSI tomahawk b350

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor - 6 Cores
RAM - 32 GB

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Primary/Discrete
VRAM - 8176 MB - GDDR6 1750 MHz
Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Device ID - 731F
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 2398
SubSystem Vendor ID - 148C
Revision ID - C1
Bus Type - PCI Express 4.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x16
BIOS Version - 017.001.000.049
BIOS Part Number - 111
BIOS Date - 2019/08/08 03:54
Usable Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1905 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 448 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 14.00 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0
Software Version - 2021.1005.1236.22698
Driver Version - 21.30.25.05-211005a-372545C-RadeonSoftware
Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1634
Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01510
OpenGL® Version - 29.20.11000.14761
AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.21
Vulkan™ Driver Version - 2.0.198
Vulkan™ API Version - 1.2.188
Windows Version - Windows 11 (64 bit)

I already did the fixes for the atiadllx.dll problem and i was able to solve it, it just ended with the current problem. I hope that i have included all needed information

0 Likes

First and best solution is to enter safe mode and rollback resent driver update that causes the problem or another solution is to try to restore system using restore points try and tell us what if that fixes the problem.

0 Likes

Already tried that, found no old driver that does not have that problem

K20DADA
Journeyman III

I have the same issue. B450 Auros Elite Mobo, 2x8gb trident z rgb @3000mhz , 3600x, rtx3060. Win11 Pro.
If i install the chipset driver from AMD site or from the gigabyte support page, i get the same issue where the pc refuses to shutdown and sometimes restart. If i uninstall the chipset driver, everything is fine again and runs perfectly fine. I dont need to have it installed as the cpu runs fine without it at a 4.2ghz boost while gaming. However, with the chipset driver the cpu boosted to 4.4ghz while gaming.

0 Likes

Excuse my post, I figured out that it was a Nacon controller software that was causing issues for me and not the actual Chipset driver, after uninstalling the controller software the pc was back to normal even with the new chipset driver

0 Likes
Vortix
Adept I

My pc recently randomly regained the ability to shut down and restart, which allowed me to install new drivers. I have no idea what allowed this to happen since I had done nothing with my PC that day.

0 Likes