thanitos98
Journeyman III

Windows 11 Chipset Drivers not installing

So I am on a fresh copy of Windows 11, I have:

X570-Pro (Bios is latest at 4021)

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 

Windows is installed on a Samsung M.2 driver

Currently running Windows 21H2 OS Build 22000.282

Been trying to update my drivers for the chipset and it keeps failing. Gives me error code 1603

I ran:

SFC /Scannow

DISM repair online

Uninstalled PSP drivers

AMD Ryzen power plan fails to install

AMD PSP Driver fails to install

See below snippet, not sure how to attach files to posts yet sorry. 

MSI (c) (44:FC) [09:44:55:397]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: AMD_Chipset_Drivers. Product Version: 3.10.08.506. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (c) (44:FC) [09:44:55:397]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (44:FC) [09:44:55:398]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (44:FC) [09:44:55:398]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603

0 Likes
2 Solutions

I  have the same MoBo with a 3700X processor and was able to update without any issues.

Try using Microsoft Install/Uninstall APP and uninstall all of the AMD Chipset drivers that are listed plus deleting the AMD installation folder at C:\AMD.  Now see if the Chipset installs correctly.

If not then try installing the Chipset using the same Microsoft App.

Also make sure all of Windows 11 updates are current via Windows Updates.

If that fails you can try AMD explanation for error 1603 and use their tips even though it is really made for the Graphics driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603

View solution in original post

So I had already tried to remove all drivers with the Windows uninstall/install app. I tried it again and the only AMD items remaining were the AMD SMS Bus driver and AMD Ryzen Master. I uninstalled both those things then rebooted and the install worked. I honestly think the issue was AMD Ryzen Master preventing the installation. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies

I  have the same MoBo with a 3700X processor and was able to update without any issues.

Try using Microsoft Install/Uninstall APP and uninstall all of the AMD Chipset drivers that are listed plus deleting the AMD installation folder at C:\AMD.  Now see if the Chipset installs correctly.

If not then try installing the Chipset using the same Microsoft App.

Also make sure all of Windows 11 updates are current via Windows Updates.

If that fails you can try AMD explanation for error 1603 and use their tips even though it is really made for the Graphics driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603

So I had already tried to remove all drivers with the Windows uninstall/install app. I tried it again and the only AMD items remaining were the AMD SMS Bus driver and AMD Ryzen Master. I uninstalled both those things then rebooted and the install worked. I honestly think the issue was AMD Ryzen Master preventing the installation. 

Possibly but I also had Ryzen Master installed on my PC and the latest AMD CHIPSET installed without issue. In my opinion, most likely it was the SMS Bus Driver that you uninstalled.

But glad you were finally able to install the latest AMD CHIPSET which suppose to fix the Windows 11 flaw for all AMD processors.

0 Likes

I have a similar problem.  On windows 10 the power plan fails to install.  I tried removing Ryzen Master and the install still fails.  I've posted this before and received no replies.

0 Likes

@Theresa1 

Try using Microsoft Install/Uninstall APP and remove all the AMD drivers and also delete the AMD CHIPSET installation folder at C:\AMD.

Afterwards see if it installs successfully.

The Microsoft Install/Uninstall APP worked for some Users in the past here at AMD Forums. You can download the tool from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-r...

EDIT: Read you original post and I believe the AMD CHIPSET installs the Ryzen Power Plans automatically. Also make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update.

0 Likes

There is an install utility for Ryzen chipsets,  This Ryzen utility fails to install the power plan drivers, and states this is so when it is run.

0 Likes

It is possible you have some left over fragments from the last Ryzen chipset installation that is causing the error. That is why using the Microsoft Install/Unnstall app is useful. It removes any traces of the previous program including Window's registry entries.

Also can you please post your complete Computer information. Is this a laptop or a Desktop computer?

Mine is a custom built desktop with a 3900x and 6700xt graphics card.  The power supply is unknown.  The Windows is the latest of Win 10.  Bios is current according to Asus.

Was doing a search and found this post. Had a issue with a folder missing and was not able to install or uninstall the AMD chipset drivers. The windows uninstaller worked. Installed the chipset drivers after using window uninstallers and that did the trick.