cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wolf_509
Newcomer

windows 10 , Vulkan , Doom ( engine has Crashed )

Guys please i need help , i want to play Doom , i was searching a lot for a solution all effort went in vain

Game was running before using AMD driver 17.5.1 + windows 8.1 Perfectly without any tiny single issue but i had to move to windows 10

Game crash on startup as you see in the image below :

System Specs :

Windows 10 ( updated )

CPU : FX-8320 ( Stock clock )

GPU: R9 270X Sapphire Dual-X ( Stock clock )

Ram : 8 G.Skill ( Stock clock )

AMD Driver : 18.5.1 ( recommended by AMD auto detect )

Please i need help , i wanna play doom for sake of anything boring AMD

** Note : i can play the game with Open-GL but i face many drop in frames and performance is bad so i wanna play normally like before Y_Y

AMD.PNG

Waiting for feedback urgently please

0 Likes
12 Replies
noodles59
Miniboss

Reinstall Doom in Win10 would be a good idea (if not already done)

Switching OS on a current installation can be troublesome

i made fresh install for Windows 10 + fresh install for doom ( still nothing works ) , anyway i will try older drivers than 18.5.1

0 Likes

This User is having a lot of problems with DOOM also concerning Vulkan: Why latest driver for 7950 doesnt work with vulkan?

0 Likes

Try 18.3.3 or earlier. They work fine on my older cards HD 7950, HD 7870, R9 380X.   My RX 580 however works just fine with the new 18.8.1 played for well over an hour tonight to test. I still however can't run the last few drivers on my older cards.

0 Likes

i got your point but strangely AMD made huge advertising for doom , they should support it especially with Vulkan for at least 4 years after release as it was main selling point and also big point of advantage over Nvidia ( really i faced issues with AMD drivers more than i can count result i am so disappointed that i bought AMD video Card )

0 Likes

Unless this never gets fixed I don't think this is a purposeful attempt to end support. I think it is a bug. I think their team is overwhelmed with issues and too little help. Not an excuse I know, I feel the same and am in your boat too. Keep hope though and don't write them off. Nvidia breaks games on old cards too, read their forums it happens all the time, they however fix them quicker but typically only on popular games. They have a long list of indie and older titles that don't work too. IMHO AMD historically does a way better job of continuing support of indie, old games and old hardware. Just please keep submitting the issue reports for every version that comes out that does not fix the issue. If enough people complain they fix it quicker as they realize it is a driver not user issue. I am not completely convinced this is even a driver issue. I can tell you some other things I have done and you might want to try it too. I disable full screen optimizations, run high performance profile, disable all telemetry and notifications, disable all Windows gaming features in settings and lastly I disable the overlays for any games having issues. You might see if by any chance any of that helps. At the least it will keep you from getting knocked out of your games in general as much.

To add to what I already said specifically about the last few drivers on the last 4 drivers. It isn't just vulkan that doesn't work on 3 of 4 of my cards. The entire driver package does not work properly on the RX 380x it black screens and locks as soon as Windows loads. On the HD 7950 and 7870 it runs windows but crashes with video and any 3D. I run  DDU and install 18.3.3 or earlier they are all fine. This is 3 different installations and all are fresh installations of Windows 10 64 bit.

I think they are so focused on making the current cards they are selling (RX 5xxx and Vega) work they are not doing the checks needed to insure they are not breaking things on old cards. It sucks they don't even acknowledge this issue exists in driver release notes. I know they have to know. I have supplied them easily over 100 complaints in issue reports with links from this and other sites, plus sending stuff to AMDMATT too.  I personally wouldn't have an issue with this if they would just simply release new beta drivers that claim to only support the newer cards until they can get their unified drivers working across the board. I truly believe they are doing what they can, but with better communication and taking ownership of their issues, they would be doing way less harm to their reputation and stop the bleeding in the user base. My best guess has been for over a year now that the driver team for graphics has got to be just plain understaffed and or lost key personnel. I think they need to bring in some fresh talent of programmers to help with this issue. I also think they ought to release a driver from before all this started with current game updates and let the users decide if they even need all these features they add that are breaking thing. My belief is that overall very few even use these features. Most people just click an icon and play the game.

0 Likes

That is something that you hadn't mentioned before. So you are also having issues with Vulkan DOOM.

If this is just an issue with one game and it doesn't affect other vulkan games, don't expect a fix, at least right away. Unlike the DX9 bug that affected a huge range of older games that AMD immediately fixed as soon as they became aware of the problem.

0 Likes

I didn't say I had a problem with Doom, I don't I just can't even test it with the latest drivers as they won't run. I have a problem with the last 4 drivers as a whole package on 3 of 4 of my cards and I would say I have probably mentioned this in excess of 25 times over the last month.

0 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that point. You are having troubles with AMD Drivers itself not related to DOOM.

Misread your comment.

0 Likes
wolf_509
Newcomer

tried older driver nothing works and used vulkan files which was working with windows 8.1 still not working

i Gave up for real

i got my enough from faulty drivers from AMD , i gave up , going to play using OpenGL no damn options

0 Likes

It sounds like DOOM needs to come up with a new Vulkan patch that will make the latest Vulkan runtime libraries compatible with the game or there is some sort of conflict with other 3rd party or Windows apps or features on your computer.

pokester​ has Vulkan DOOM running on several computers without any issues and even one with the latest AMD Driver installed.

Can you download DXDIAG.zip  and upload it in your post. Sometimes that gives clues to what programs are having critical errors with or with Windows Reliability Report which give more detail issues with errors.

Can't promise you anything but I can alert you as to what programs or files that are having errors with.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

I am using the same CPU (FX8320) and a RX570 (latest driver/ Win10) and Doom is working nicely even on ultra settings..

I wonder OP gotta hardware problem not driver!?

0 Likes