cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

suraji
Journeyman III

windows 10 suddenly stops working/hangs. AMD Ryzen 3 2200g processor, ASUS A320M-K motherboard, SAMSUNG EVO 860 250GB SSD, HYPERX Kingston 2400 MHz RAM

Hello there,

I bought below config and now it becomes headache for me about which drivers and software versions I need to install with this config as on date.

My Config :-

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g processor,

ASUS A320M-K motherboard,

SAMSUNG EVO 860 250GB SSD,

HYPERX Kingston 2400 MHz RAM

Currently installed driver

Radeon Software349 MBAdrenalin Edition 18.5.15/23/2018

BIOS version 3803

windows 10 already updated.

if anyone know recently updated driver versions that will help me to sort this issue

0 Likes
6 Replies

try updating the Motherboard BIOS and CHIPSET and see if it works better with the latest AMD GPU Drivers: PRIME A320M-K Driver & Tools | Motherboards | ASUS USA

BIOS

Version 40112018/05/027.97 MBytes

PRIME A320M-K BIOS 4011
Update AGESA 1.0.0.2a + SMU 43.18

Chipset

Version 5.12.0.382018/04/18372.43 MBytes

AMD Chipset driver
AMD AM4 Chipset Driver V5.12.0.38 for Windows Win10 64bit. (AMD package version is V17.40.3765, VGA driver version is V23.20.840.0)

hello elstaci,

thank you for your reply

as per your suggestions I have updated my bios version from 3803 to version 4011, but in case of amd chipset driver it shows, I have currently installed version 18.5.1 and recommend for the same version as shown in below snap.

pastedImage_1.png

so its bit of confusion here that I have already installed recommended driver, while downloaded latest driver are seems to be of old version (mentioned as local driver in above snap 17.7). so I stopped installing it and hopefully decides to check my luck on bios updates only.

this issue usually happens once in day/couple of days, so first i need to monitor this week whether it comes again or not with this updated bios solution.

0 Likes

Hi,

If you have installed AISUITE III you will need a newer version which has changes to cope with the Spectre bug fixes in Windows 10.
AISUITE III was crashing and sometimes causing Windows 10 hang on my Asus Z97  i7-4770K system.
I managed to find a fixed version of AISUITE III which works for me by going to the ASUS ROG forum and getting a download from there.

Other than that I suggest you try running MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool​  on your RAM (1 stick at a time) or download
SiSoft Sandra tool to detect issues on your PC System.

Bye.

hello colesdav,

i have not installed any AISUITE.

i checked in last week and i do not found any issue with windows 10 (not sure since my office workload i do not used it more in last week. 2-3 hours a day on windows and also busy in installing ubuntu 18 along with windows 10) but now same happening with linux.

i installed kubuntu 18.04 along with already installed windows 10. it has kernel version 4.15* and same problem happens with kubuntu. i tried latest kernel updates but still getting same (system freeze) with every kernel.

this is first time i am facing issues with no specific cause. i hope some stable updates will resolve these issue but don't know when those stable updates will release for my config.

0 Likes

Try disabling fast startup...it has solved issues like this before. Be sure to reboot your computer after the change.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode

"When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all."

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

Reduce the Size of Your Hibernate File if You Only Use Fast Startup

If you don’t use the hibernate option but do use fast startup, you can reduce the size of your hibernation file, which can grow to several gigabytes in size. By default, the file takes up space equal to about 75% of your installed RAM. That may not seem bad if you’ve got a big hard drive, but if you’re working with limited space (such as an SSD), every little bit counts. Reducing the size cuts the file to around half its full size (or around 37% of your RAM). To change the size of your hibernation file (by default located at C:\hiberfile.sys), hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin).

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS as much as possible these days as I try to get away from Windows 10.
Both of my Ubuntu installations have the option to run KDE plasma desktop so ~ Kubuntu install.
Both those OS versions are very stable and I cannot remember one instance of those OS freeze or lock up on me in normal use in past 6 months on machine with only AMD Graphics Cards installed.  

Did you run  MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool  on your RAM?
You did not mention that.
If you have bad RAM it will wreck Kubuntu or Ubuntu or Fedora or Centos other Linux just as well as Windows.

I do not have any experience at all running or building  AMD Ryzen or Threadripper PC yet but I believe it works well with Linux

based on what I have been reading / watching online. Maybe the Vega iGU is causing problems on these new processors in Linux?

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS has AMDGPU drivers built in and I have had no freezing issues with my AMD cards if I just run with the already pre-installed AMDGPU driver.
I am also running the AMDGPU-PRO driver with Vulkan and ROCm options now and again no random freezing.

Bye.

0 Likes