cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

commodore2
Adept I

Windows 10 locks up while trying to install AMD driver

I've been trying to resolve this problem for two days now. The problem started when I upgraded to windows 10 Anniversary and realized that the OS replaced my 16.8.3 driver with a much older one. The driver became unusable and I seen that in the device manager my graphics card name suddenly changed from M200x to 8850m.  I've been in this situation before and succesfully resolved it with the "show and hide updates" tool from Microsoft. Also using DDU and the installer from Guru3D. Even rolled back the previous version of Windows 10 which didn't help. After that I made a full clean install of the OS and the problem is still present. I'm really getting fed up with Windows 10 now. This is just only one irritating bug asside a thousand more...

My specs:

Inspiron 3537

8GB RAM DDR3l 1600Mhz

AMD Radeon HD 8850m

Intel Core i7 4500U

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Windows 10 locks up while trying to install AMD driver

These are the drivers for your laptop > Mobile

Turn off (check task manager) all anti-virus/anti-malware/personal firewalls, etc when downloading or installing them. Your Intel graphics must be updated first. Follow the guide > Laptop graphics update...How to

0 Kudos
warsun
Challenger

OK.I am gonna explain this as my friend tried to install this.

He just got the RX 480 Power Color edition.

PowerColor RED DEVIL Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 AXRX480 8GBD5-3DH/OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0...

Right out of the box the graphics card would not load.He had a Intel i5 2500K at 3.6Ghz  An 8GB of 1600Mhz ram.The graphics card before was a GTX 560-ti.on System start up of Windows 10.The computer crashes an will not start.My friend had to install the old graphics card an manually install the latest driver.After this the system would crash ever time the computer started windows 10.But the graphics card will run now.How do we stop the crashes?

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

This post is about a laptop computer. You should start your own thread...

0 Kudos
goodplay
MVP

For win10 tips, fixes, etc....

tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html

Scroll down to "windows update" to start with(there's a few options).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
commodore2
Adept I

Thanks ya'll! Will try the suggested methods for updating, and installing drivers. In the meantime my computer works with the driver for my HD8850m provided by Dell (did an uninstall using DDU, and after restart I installed the driver provided by Dell without a lock up thereafter an other restart and voilá it works) . Will reply to this thread if I find a sufficent sollution for this issue.

0 Kudos