cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

johny66cz
Journeyman III

Windows 10 is still installing 16.9.2 WHQL

Hello, I have a problem three weeks, my Windows 10 is still installing 16.9.2 WHQL driver (it looks like 16.6) . I did a clean installation of Windows and I installed the latest 16.11.3. After connecting to the Internet, Windows is still installing old drivers. Thank you for your resolve.

0 Likes
11 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: Windows 10 is still installing 16.9.2 WHQL

What graphics card / APU do you have?

0 Likes
pinheads
Adept III

Join the club. We are all suffering this problem of Microsoft Windows Automatic Update installing older GPU Drivers even though you may have installed the latest WHQL or Hotfix. There are numerous threads on here about it and take no notice of any of the suggested tweaks to stop it from happening because they really don't work. This really should be something that is sorted out between AMD and Microsoft. If AMD stop providing Drivers to Microsoft then Microsoft can't pass them on to us.

0 Likes
vonchen
Miniboss

I have this problem last month, Windows 10 ask me to install an AMD driver update from windows update which is 16.6 when I uninstall and trying to install a new driver.

What I did is let it installed first , then unplug network cable, remove the 16.6 things and install new driver again.

Then I set this option to "No".

Device install settings : Right click StartMenu->System->Advance option->hardware->Device install settings

If it not works for you try this tool from Microsoft :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter#bookmark-1607

The first way seems only works for Windows10 Pro(works for me), for other version of Win10 I am not sure.

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

DDU Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.3.0  can permanently stop win10 updating your drivers (any version of win10 i presume).

0 Likes
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

16.9.2 is the last WHQL certified driver. Microsoft Update will only recommend WHQL drivers, it will never suggest a Hotfix driver.

redfury
Big Boss

He wants ,or maybe needs ,latest BETA driver.

0 Likes
johny66cz
Journeyman III

Thanks for the answers.

I have RX 480 and now I have the newest 16.11.4 and I had the same problem.

That didn't help - Right click StartMenu->System->Advance option->hardware->Device install settings - set NO

DDU didn't help too.

But thanks for this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter#bookmark-1607

It helped.

"Select the Driver tab, and then select Roll Back Driver" it helped, but I lost clean installation of the newest hotfix.

Better is use that app and hide update. You have to hide update during downloading AMD driver.

Finally, I am happy. Sometimes I hate Windows 10, but the best Windows for gaming and other things.

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Looks tricky...Wat will happen when AMD will release new WHQL driver?

I was sure that DDU can handle this, unless you press that button (marked red )

DDU.JPG

0 Likes
pinheads
Adept III

"Recommends" Lol. Windows 10 doesn't recommend anything! It just occasionally downloads a Driver during an Update. I've have already had Windows roll back a Driver to an older version than the one I was already using despite the fact it was WHQL. For example, I've had my 16.9.2 WHQL Driver, which is the latest Signed Driver downloaded manually from the AMD Downloads page replaced by an older Driver, 16.6 during a daily Windows update.

This is getting seriously annoying. Why aren't AMD acknowledging this is happening instead of popping on these forums patronising us by telling us things that are basically nonsense!

Just look at the amount of threads and comments about this issue and all over the internet too. AMD, please get something sorted out between yourselves and Microsoft.

0 Likes