cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

paup
Newcomer

Windows 10 doesn't boot with recent Radeon drivers?

A couple months ago after a game told me I needed to update my drivers and did so to the latests version a Windows update kicked in shortly after and my PC refused to start up the next day. Windows boot will show an infinite spinner.

I've since learnt that this is because for some reason Windows 10 does not work together with the latest AMD drivers. Unfortunately somehow the combination of driver update and Windows 10 update at the time for some reason corrupted the last restore point and I was forced to format my PC. Then on a clean Windows 10 installation I immediately installed the latest AMD drivers and rebooted to immediately be stuck in an infinite spinner on boot. Now with the option to use a restore point to pre-driver update. So now I'm stuck with drivers from 2017 that Windows automatically installed during installation.

Yesterday Windows Update apparently decided these are too old and install a newer version of the AMD drivers. So the whole issue started again. Luckily I could revert to a windows restore point. I think I now have the update disabled using Microsoft's "wushowhide.diagcab" utility (downloadable from Microsoft site). But this issue is sure to come back next time Windows Update decides my drivers are too old. What can I do?

I found threads from other people with similar issues, but not of the proposed solutions fixed it for me. Most blamed software, but the issue occurs for me even on a clean windows install. So it must either be the driver, windows or driver for other hardware that screws up

Radeon RX 480 (working drivers according to device manager: 22.19.162.4 (date: 24/04/2017)

Windows 10 (currently v1909)

AsRock H87 Pro4

I have 2 monitors connected one via DisplayPort and one via DVI

0 Likes
0 Replies