cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: Window 10 20H1(2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + GPU latest bios completely fix black screen/blue screen/screen freeze issue.

20.5.1 is stable

0 Likes
zantsu
Adept III

Re: Window 10 20H1(2004) + AMD 20.5.1 software + GPU latest bios completely fix black screen/blue screen/screen freeze issue.

No it's NOT.

Uninstalled 20.5.1, installed 20.4.2 without adrenalin (Adrenalin on 20.4.2 won't install on Win 20H1) no issues for a week.

20.5.1 is not stable.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

20.5.1 is stable on 3 different motherboards, B350, X470 and X570

Check for the latest BIOS, and install all windows updates

0 Likes
zantsu
Adept III

B350 (GB AB350m Gaming 3) here, Latest Bios (F50a), All updates from windows.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

I'm waiting (Forever apparently) for the next version from AMD that fix all the issues introduced with 20.5.1.

20.5.1 simply doesn't work no Sapphire RX5700 Reference Model on W10 20H1.

In the meantime I continue using 20.4.2 without being able to install Adrenalin, but without any problems occurring.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Update Tuesday is close at hand, perhaps by then some improvements are coming but I don't recommend you hold your breath.

I mechanized backups as I have had problems galore with BIOS bugs, driver bugs and widows bugs.

zip supports the command like so it is possible to zip up files to a secondary disk in case windows blows up

need to specify full paths which does make for some long calls etc

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me...

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

aethelbert wrote:

Samsung Chronos 7 i7 laptop. Intel HD Graphics 4000 and AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU. Licensed Windows 10 2004 + any AMD software (20.5, 20.7, 20.4, etc). There is no Firmware or BIOS update from Samsung for this model. After seven years of use, only works if AMD GPU is disabled on Device Manager. If I enable, Windows freezes, with or without an external monitor, either plugged into VGA or HDMI ports. If I reboot, windows cannot even start. It does stuck on loading. Need to force shut down, enter on recover, safe boot, disable GPU, and then windows starts and works again. Tried windows 8 (original from computer), the same. Ubuntu does not tell me if there is a problem on GPU. It simply works fine (I believe it is not using the GPU). Any software you could imagine I use from AMD get stucked on 70% installation, after the first reboot, just after the GPU is recognized on Device Manager (driver installation). I've tried also DDU... the same... Opened up the laptop, took off cooling system, changed old and dry thermal paste. The problem continues. Clean formatted and reinstalled Windows several times... same problem. I cannot even find a software the can tell me if the GPU has died. It appears on Device Manager, which tells me it is working normally. But load drivers by enabling the GPU simply freezes the system. I've tried everything you all told here... Any other hint, PLEASE!!! Change a very good laptop, which works very well, just because a faulty GPU could be the death of me...

You machine is Sandy Bridge so it's very unlikely there will be a new BIOS update for the machine.

aethelbert
Adept I

Do you know how can I be sure my GPU is dead? I'm tired of trying making it work and wasting time, but at the same time, throw out the towel, without knowing for sure the problem is hardware, and not software, would be a drag...

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

aethelbert wrote:

Do you know how can I be sure my GPU is dead? I'm tired of trying making it work and wasting time, but at the same time, throw out the towel, without knowing for sure the problem is hardware, and not software, would be a drag...

The integrated graphics are integrated into Windows 10. HD 3000 is very basic with WDDM 1.0 support.

As for the R9 M200X is of equal vintage but drivers should also be available on windows update.

0 Likes
aethelbert
Adept I

As I told, drivers are not my problem. There are tons on the web and on AMD website and, believe me, I've tested  many of them. The issue is that, as soon as the driver is installed and the GPU is recognized on Device Manager as an AMD device, instead of a generic Video controller, windows freezes. So how can I know if the issue is software or hardware? Is my GPU dead, despite being present and recognizable?

0 Likes