cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Stripes
Adept I

Win7 driver for RX 6600

Hi everyone. I finally upgraded from an MSI HD7850 to a GIGABYTE RX6600 Eagle this week, but after installing the RX, I discovered there is no Windows 7 driver support for the non-XT 6600 (but there IS a driver for the XT card, which sadly does not work for me). The card is advertised as supporting Windows 7, which is why I chose it. (I am not going to "upgrade" to 10, simply because I don't like the UI at all, and some of my programs are not compatible with it).

Will there be a driver released for Win7 x64 soon, or should I return the card to Newegg?

Thank you

1 Solution

Interesting it seems like AMD has finally stop supporting Windows 7 with driver updates.

If you read the Window 7 Driver for the RX6600XT it mentions that Windows 7 is now considered to be Legacy with no more driver updates. The last Windows 7 Driver is from 09.27.2021.

Screenshot 2021-10-07 192150.png

So it seems you won't get any Windows 7 drivers for your RX6600 GPU card since none are listed at the official AMD Download site.

I believe the reason why is because the official Release Date for the RX6600XT was on 08/11/2021 before Windows 7 was moved to Legacy status while the RX6600 Release Date was on 10/13/2021 which was AFTER Windows 7 was moved to Legacy Status.

So you either can update to Windows 10/11 or return your GPU card.

Just surprised that Windows 7 RX6600XT driver doesn't work with your RX6600 GPU card.

EDIT: Went to the Release Notes for the RX6600XT Windows 7 driver and it mentions that driver is only compatible with the RX6600XT and no other GPU cards including the RX6600:

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Interesting it seems like AMD has finally stop supporting Windows 7 with driver updates.

If you read the Window 7 Driver for the RX6600XT it mentions that Windows 7 is now considered to be Legacy with no more driver updates. The last Windows 7 Driver is from 09.27.2021.

So it seems you won't get any Windows 7 drivers for your RX6600 GPU card since none are listed at the official AMD Download site.

I believe the reason why is because the official Release Date for the RX6600XT was on 08/11/2021 before Windows 7 was moved to Legacy status while the RX6600 Release Date was on 10/13/2021 which was AFTER Windows 7 was moved to Legacy Status.

So you either can update to Windows 10/11 or return your GPU card.

Just surprised that Windows 7 RX6600XT driver doesn't work with your RX6600 GPU card.

EDIT: Went to the Release Notes for the RX6600XT Windows 7 driver and it mentions that driver is only compatible with the RX6600XT and no other GPU cards including the RX6600:

Wow, that is annoying. It is a shame AMD would do that. Your answer was quite possibly the best answer I could have received though. Thank you for going the distance and looking into this as much as you have. I sincerely appreciate it.

I am sorry about you situation but it was informative for me also. Now I know that AMD has finally made Windows 7 legacy and won't be supporting that OS with driver updates anymore.

If you want to verify what I said you can always open a AMD Support ticket and asked them yourself about Windows 7 and the RX6600 GPU card from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

EDIT: I noticed that even Gigabyte Support doesn't offer a Windows 7 AMD Driver version on their Gigabyte RX6600 Eagle website.

0 Likes

Welp, looks like I will be putting the card up on eBay. Probably going to avoid AMD products from now on. Thank you again for all your help.

Screenshot_20211021-060827_Email.jpg

I note that AMD released a Win 7 RX 6600 & 6600XT driver on the 11th February 2022. 

assiduous_0-1657761736040.png

0 Likes
Paxmax
Journeyman III

Aww no. this is really a let down. I just bought a RX6600 for my older gaming-/surf/server-rig.

I was attracted to the low powerconsumption and drivers was available for Win7.

When I put it in I experienced weird flashes/colored blank-outs from the bottom up sometimes/intermittently when mouse pointer moved over from one web link to another, or moving from one highlighted object(mouse pointing to it) and go to another object: upon reaching next object you may sometimes get a blanking for one or two frames of everythink below highlighted area.

I tried 3 different cables, 2 different monitors, I even bought a new RX6600 thinking the one I got was bad. Nah.. same issue. PowerColors own "recommended driver" for win7  was the RX6600XT only version which refused to install. AMD's own Win7 RX6600 driver produce this vertical blanking of anything below highlighted object.

It will be more than a decade before I give AMD any more money, what a farce of a brand. My current new gaming rig is a Ryzen... will be the last AMD product I'll buy for decades, useless! pieces! of! crud! Back to Intel and Nvidia. Sorry Team red, ye blew it.

0 Likes

what's the problem with upgrading to 10 and 11? nvidia and intel don't have new drivers on windows 7 either

Because I'm pleased with how well it runs with the external hardware and network, security functions. Figuring out how to migrate to Win10 will be an uneccessary pain worth many 100's of Euros or dollars to avoid. It's running oldish printers, oldish cameras and oldish fileserver functions... + it doesn't consume a ton of power doing it. It's only pulling about 40-45W in standby... + its proven time and time again ability to just stand there for weeks and do it's tasks without fuss, and keeping security running while I'm away it's nice. It's otherwize hardware circa 2012, getting that to jive with Win10 can be a challenge... and definitely something I want to kick down the road if possible. Also some simpler older games,  I highly doubt would run under Win10. It's also the only computer that has a CD/DVD drive.

0 Likes