cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

asdf23451
Adept III

Will the Adrenaline 2021 drivers finally fix the driver issues with Windows 7?

Seeing how the RX 6000 series will be coming out soon, I think it'd be a great idea if AMD will fix the Navi (RX 5000 series) driver issues on Windows 7, like the random freeze soon after logging in, stuff randomly getting laggy, laggy transitions in and out of a UAC prompt, Ctrl + Alt + Del, logging in, etc, before the new cards launch. The new cards are a variation of Navi, so they will likely experience these issues too, unless fixed.

0 Likes
16 Replies
satanael
Adept III

i gave up on drivers i believe it is a architecture issue IMHO.

0 Likes
ctlz79
Adept I

Honestly not going to happen, and if you even mention ESU patches for the OS, as you keep screaming about on reddit, I'm gonna laugh so hard I'll bust a blood vein. 

Windows 7 for home users not Enterprise is EOL. And no longer supported by Microsoft, and most Game Engines and software do not even support the OS anymore. 

Face it, Windows 7 is DEAD, and I highly doubt AMD will support it past the 5000 Series. I'm surprised honestly they allowed the Ryzen platform to even work on Windows 7, considering they knew it was coming to an end.

> and if you even mention ESU patches for the OS, as you keep screaming about on reddit, I'm gonna laugh so hard I'll bust a blood vein.

One, ESU patches are actually something that can be used

Two, I'm not the one screaming about them on Reddit, I'm the one that proved that Windows 7 updated to 2016-09 is still safe.

> Windows 7 for home users not Enterprise is EOL. And no longer supported by Microsoft, and most Game Engines and software do not even support the OS anymore. 

One, EOS != EOL

Two, plenty of things are no longer supported by their creators, does it mean their bad? No.

Three, most game engines and software support the OS, and for the software that doesn't, which I maintain a list of over at MSFN, about 78% of "unsupported software" works either by default or after a simple modification or two.

> Face it, Windows 7 is DEAD, and I highly doubt AMD will support it past the 5000 Series. I'm surprised honestly they allowed the Ryzen platform to even work on Windows 7, considering they knew it was coming to an end.

One, Windows 7 is not dead, hell, even XP is alive, considering millions of people still use it to this day

Two, Ryzen 1000 came out when Vista was still supported, and most of the drivers work on Vista without modification (They kinda borked Vista compatibility with an AGESA update, but that's another topic for another time)

Three, I'd be alright if AMD does a Nvidia and updates the drivers, but leaves the higher end 6000 GPUs unsupported. As long as the issues are fixed, I'd be alright with it

0 Likes
asdf23451
Adept III

20.11.1 drivers were released, also 20.Q4 drivers were released too.

20.11.1 hasn't fixed any of the issues. Still waiting for a Windows 7 20.Qx.x release since 20.Q2

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Don't buy AMD gpus to work with old games or old hardware/software. Their driver team can't keep up with recent bugs, and you think they will have time for some old hardware/software combinations that 1% of people use? It's extremely low priority and will probably never be done. 

0 Likes

If the card is COMPATIBLE with Windows 7 (what state AMD), it doesn't matter how many people use the system (anyway, I do not want to believe that 98-99% users of Radeon use Win 10). It is their responsibility to fix the problems with gpus on Windows 7.

Nowhere in your purchase agreement says they have to do that lol. 

0 Likes
asdf23451
Adept III

20.11.2 released today, and it fixed the UAC lag, and supports the 6800XT on Windows 7.

I see this as a massive win.

Will have to do more testing to see if graphically accelerated content gets laggy randomly, but so far so good.

0 Likes

@asdf23451 wrote:

Will have to do more testing to see if graphically accelerated content gets laggy randomly, but so far so good.

Hmm, it seems I have random lags often, but I jumped from 20.2.1 to 20.11.2, so it might have something to do with that.

0 Likes

So the issue of everything getting laggy after a bit still occurs, just experienced it, but will give AMD drivers another chance when I boot into another install.

0 Likes

@asdf23451 wrote:

So the issue of everything getting laggy after a bit still occurs, just experienced it, but will give AMD drivers another chance when I boot into another install.

So I was a bit busy recently, but I finally did the testing in the other install, and discovered that AMD drivers do have the issue on the other install. Going to make yet another bug report, and hope that the issue gets fixed.

0 Likes

Installed 20.11.3 two days ago, but got too busy to test.

Laggy issue still not fixed, will eventually get around to testing and reporting bug on 7 install, since my main OS technically isn't supported even though it's still NT 6.1 based

0 Likes

20.12.1 does not fix the issue, but I've temporarily(?) replaced my 5700XT with a GTX 1080, so I don't know if I'll be able to make any posts here

0 Likes

@asdf23451 wrote:

20.12.1 does not fix the issue, but I've temporarily(?) replaced my 5700XT with a GTX 1080, so I don't know if I'll be able to make any posts here

Might be something to do with my board, as it also happens with the GTX 1080, although it happens significantly less often.

I need to do some research, and this should be the last time that I update this thread, unless anything changes.

0 Likes

And on the Reddit thread you started about this several people said it had to do with hardware other than your GPU, and now you believe it ... Way to harass AMD over something that isn't even their problem.

0 Likes

@ctlz79 wrote:

And on the Reddit thread you started about this several people said it had to do with hardware other than your GPU, and now you believe it ... Way to harass AMD over something that isn't even their problem.

Then explain why my 970 never experienced it? Is it a new Nvidia driver issue? Does my board hate modern GPUs? Am I just insane and this was never an issue?

0 Likes