cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lj3712
Journeyman III

Re: Why was support for "Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics" removed on 26.20.15029.27016

Confirming same issue with 20.4.2 WHQL drivers on a Vega M GL laptop (2018 HP Spectre x360). Error 182 when trying to upgrade from the last WHQL release (20.2.2). Comparing the INF and XML files in the driver distributions, Vega M support (any variant) seems to have been removed. 

Was this intentional or a mistake?

snapilica2003
Journeyman III

Re: Why was support for "Radeon RX Vega M GH Graphics" removed on 26.20.15029.27016

Also came here looking for this. Now that Windows 10 v2004 has launched with WDDM 2.7, there is no way to get the latest drivers for my video card.

As multiple websites reported Intel is now sending Vega M GH/GL owners directly to AMD for driver updates:

Download Radeon™ RX Vega M Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 64-bit for NUC8i7HNK, NUC8i7HVK 

The above link is directly from Intel, saying that we need to download the driver from AMD website. 

You can't possibly drop support for a card that has been released for less than 2 years now... 

kingfish
MVP

Make sure you update the Intel driver (from Intel support) first....before installing the AMD driver.

Drivers & Software 

0 Likes
jd_212
Adept I

Kingfish why are you replying, what are you saying?

Do you know how drivers work in windows ?

the driver (.inf file ) that references the hardware ID to support the GPU in the current driver is gone. Support for the RX Vega M was removed on the beta driver, which means it will not be in the next alpha or normal WHQL driver.

Attempting to install it last or first will fail regardless because 20.4.2 removed support.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

It would be nice to know the reason. By all means do ASK AMD, we are all users like you in this USER TO USER forum. So you can ask AMD here:https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form   Also it may be possible a moderator may know. Any idea on this amdmatt

This was a very uniques niche product to begin with. Being that it was integrated by INTEL not AMD. It is on Intel to offer the support so also ask Intel about this stopping support. 

This is the really bad thing in general with laptops. Support stops short of what the customer expects from their purchase and I agree that is really bad. 

This is really not any different than the Apple computers that ship with AMD GPU, those drivers are all supported by Apple not AMD. 

I absolutely get everyone's frustration. Do contact the appropriate support departments and if you get an answer please relay it back here. 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

A possible explanation to why it is gone may be that AMD only added this support in a limited way in an earlier driver since Intel abandoned the product. 

AMD has a history of having several forks of their drivers. It may be that they switched forks and an unintentional result is that branch did not have support. 

I would ask that specific question to AMD and ask them to check if the current drivers should still support your product and if not why? I would also ask Intel why they are not supporting THEIR product. 

Contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
deerod
Journeyman III

Same card as OP. Every Adrenaline 20.xx driver fails to install citing error 173 (no AMD graphics hardware detected). What is the latest working driver? 19.12.xx causes Origin to crash on launch, among other problems.

lj3712
Journeyman III

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-pulls-driver-support-for-intel-kaby-lake-g

Hmm. So Intel doesn't want to support it further, presumably because of Xe, and AMD doesn't want to support it further because not enough money. Lovely.

For anyone wondering, 20.4.1 *does* work, but I haven't tried it with the Windows 10 May 2020 update yet. I guess there's no time like the present.

EDIT: Yes, 20.4.1 works with the May 2020 update. Now, the question for the later drivers is -- have the INF files simply been redacted, or do they actually not have support anymore??

(I used the term 'redacted' for a reason -- we're probably not going to get a straight answer from *anyone* on that.)

fredwck
Adept I

The latest working driver for me is actually the one that Intel put on a specific page for M GH that doesn't redirect to AMD's latest softare: Downloads for Radeon™ RX Vega M GH Graphics, which is the same as Adrenalin 18.12.2 directly from AMD site except the Intel version didn't have AMD link server?! That version solved the problems I've had when I installed Adrenalin 20.2.2 from AMD. I guess some similar but not really compatible driver was installed with 20.2.2

I can find the .inf files from the 18.12.2. Does anyone here know if you can install Adrenalin 20.2.2 software but use the .inf drivers from 18.12.2? This is because AMD Link seems to need the latest Adrenalin software to connect.

deerod
Journeyman III

Frustrating news on the AMD driver support dump, if that's official. Keep us posted. 

I did the AMD driver wipe, and followed fredwck‌'s lead and first installed Intel's 18.12.2 before installing 20.2.1. So far, all subsequent versions will not install for me. 

Origin appears to be working now (it would not launch on 19.12.xx). Red Dead Redemption 2 will not launch. I've exhausted all of the forum solutions there, so I suspect it is driver related. I've yet to install Win10 v1909. I'll report back after doing so. 

0 Likes