cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

andrulko
Adept II

Re: Why was "RX 5700 XT Random Black Screens When Gaming" Thread locked?

Hi there,

I was also surprised to see our good old thread closed

Anyway, I did upgrade driver in the morning (without any DDU, just selected "Factory Reset" and unchecked "Keep User Settings") and since then, I didn't experience any black screens.

Tuning is set to "Automatic", I've tried switching to "Manual" and see 2095MHz are still here, instead of 2010MHz suggested by Sapphire Nitro+. Anyway, it works good.

I've switched to old DP cable and have Freesync enabled (monitor is switched to "Ultimate Engine" in Freesync settings). Let's see how it will work when gaming (I'll find some time on Sunday hopefully). Selected "Standard" settings in Adrenalin:

pastedImage_2.png

By the way, I'm also on Windows 10 (build 2004, Insider Preview) if that makes any difference

colesdav
MVP

Thank you.
I am on Windows 10 Pro Version 19.09 (OS Build 18363.720).
My backup is still running.
I will let you know if I can get these new Drivers to install once I run Windows update to install any patches since April 16th.
Thanks.

curse127
Adept III

I think that in vain you are in a hurry and put the insider assembly of windows. This can increase the number of crashes caused by a raw system or driver for it.

With this damned video card, it’s better to stick to the “reference” windows build - 1803 (LTSC) or 1909.

curse127
Adept III

A few days ago, I was in the mood. And I decided to torment my RAM and processor a bit.(yes-yes overclock)
Of course, I had both black and blue screens. Not because of the video card, please note. In this case, adrenaline still resets the voltage settings. But what seemed extremely unusual to me was the selection of automatic voltages with a drain or automatic voltage reduction. After numerous failures, the stock voltage start will be determined 20 millivolts more. What it is? Not really some tricky "self-stabilization" mode?

It is very bad that at the slightest failure, not even a video card, the voltage settings are reset. Can’t they be fixed in any way? I had a plan to find the configuration file that stores this information and make it read-only. But so far I have not found it ...

mickeekung
Challenger

I think AMD don't want people to discuss in that thread and they can't fix the problem about black screen/freeze. So they need to close that thread because many people interest in that thread too much.

colesdav
MVP

Are you certain you have no other third party overclocking tool installed?
If you do they can interfere/conflict with Adrenalin Driver settings on reboot. 

I had not noticed this "self-stabilization mode"

Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Perhaps they are 100% convinced that Adrenalin 2020 20.4.2 fixes everything?

Yet it says this in the release notes:

"Some users may still experience black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay. AMD will continue to monitor and investigate reports of these issues closely."

Maybe there is a limit on the number of updates a post can have and that might cause the forum thread to crash as well.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

And the response to my technical questions on Reddit is:
"File an AMD Reporting form".

I believe everyone I was talking with did that already.
I guess I will try to find out if it is possible to mod VRM/VRAM limits in other ways.

0 Likes
andrulko
Adept II

I can't disagree but I was trying everything to solve black screen on 20.4.1 driver and decided to give it a try. The 2004 build is going to be released officially on May 10th, so I'll keep my Insider Preview for now and once 2004 is available officially, I'll install clean copy of Windows. If I encounter any issues before this date (I didn't have any black screens today during work but I didn't try gaming), I'll install 1909 back. Nevertheless, my GPU had a little stress tests today (videocalls, >100 Chrome tabs opened, 1040p recording in OBS during meetings) and I did not notice glitches/freezes/black or green screens. Fingers crossed! 

0 Likes
johnnystorm
Adept I

they should have said that then

0 Likes