cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

84 Replies

Since I am still getting @colesdav  from @SofiaBonez and others despite her telling me to "get of the thread" I will reply once again.  

@elstaci 
This issue is about GPU drivers not  SD card drivers.
Maybe you should read the entire article you refer to before you post as it recommends keeping your GPU drivers up to date.
It sort of shoots yourself in the foot.

There is a reason to install Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 driver properly versus Adrenalin 2020.2.3. 
Frame Rate Target Control is back in the driver.

The Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ has a completely different VRM design with +33% power delivery capability and has two PCIe-VGA power lead power connectors - one 8pin and one 6pin at the side of the motherboard.
The cooler on the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ is much better on the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+

The Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ has a completely different VRM design uses inferior and older components and has only 1 8pin PCIe-VGA power lead power connector at the rear of the motherboard. The VRM components are inferior.

There is a reason for the  much improved VRM and Cooler.
The default TDP for the RX580 is higher than the default TDP for the RX480.
The TDP on those Polaris GPUS refers to the "GPU die power", NOT the Total Board Power. 

There is no direct control or monitoring or limiting of the power input to power pins on those GPUs.
Nvidia GPUs use current shunts on all power input phases for a long time and control input power, that is why they report and control Total Board Power.

If you run an RX480 with an RX580 VBIOS, you are not just running the GPU with the increased power target of an RX580.
You will also be running the inferior VRM at higher power that it is designed for.
When you run a VRM at higher power than it is designed for, the VRM itself pulls more power from the PCIe-VGA power lead(s).

Add in the inferior cooler on the RX480 and you have a recipe for problems.

On top of that, do any of you remember when the RX480 was launched that they were pulling too much power from the PCIe x16 power connector on the motherboard?
AMD had to put out a hotfix in their drivers for that one.
It was causing many crashes and claims of dead motherboards.

Guess where the only alternative to pull additional power is for a single 8 pin socket on a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ when flashed with a Sapphire  RX580 Nitro+ BIOS?

The PCIe x16 connector.

Downclocking the GPU may help.
Reducing the GPU power limit should help.
Install the correct VBIOS is the real solution.

@crazyserb 
I am not sure if you are talking about keeping AMD Adrenalin GUI / UI and using Windows device manager to uninstall, re-install/ rollback GPU drivers. That can work ~o.k. with some loss of functionalty.  

Or:

If you you are actually talking about completely ignoring AMD own install instructions, not uninstalling the previous driver at all?  Are you suggesting simply running full Adrenalin 2020 installer over an existing installation of:
Adrenalin 2020 or Adrenalin, or Crimson Relive, or Crimson, or even Catalyst software?
Or even in reverse?

If it is the latter then I suggest you contact AMD Radeon Software Team and tell them what they have been getting wrong for the past 25 years. They will likely hire you and pay you a fortune for your expertise.

You should also contact the DDU developers and tell them their own software is useless.

I have seen problems directly running Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 over Adrenalin 20.2.3 recently myself.
I forgot to set the new Factory Reset option. (which uninstalls the existing AMD driver and prevents Microsoft Driver install) , by mistake.
When I ran that botched install and then tried to run BFV on one of my GPUs, the GPU ran, the driver crashed, the PC crashed and the GPU completely dissapeared from my PC on reboot.
I had no display output at all.

I had to use DDU to recover from that one.

Finally @SofiaBonez
Why are you now talking about your old laptop and drivers and discussing the performance of Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 on that?
How is that in any way relavent to a problem with a desktop Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 GPU with the wrong BIOS flashed on it?
Does that laptop have a Discrete Polaris mobile GPU fitted on it?

From your specifications that laptop has an AMD APU on it.
It has an old GCN 1.1 based GPU on the APU.
I did find Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 driver for it,  or at least for for the APU you specified from the AMD Drivers Download page.
AMD do state that IF you get performance problems you should really get the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer website, as they are often modified to work correctly on a laptop.

I suggest you open a new thread about your laptop, report the exact specifications on it this time,  and tell everyone if your "PC Builder" has gone within one mile of it and done any jiggery pokery on that as well.

This Forum Thread is a circus.
Clown World for real.

0 Likes

You need to learn how to understand and  comprehend what you read @colesdav .

The articles says if you are a GAMER then it is recommended to update to keep up with the latest games in performance.

In general the article says if there is no need to update  drivers than don't. This is something that Kingfish and I and others have mentioned here at AMD Forums.

Kingfish always mentions that if something isn't broke don't fix it and I agree.

As fas as I can tell by the OP answers she isn't a GAMER but does plays games once in awhile.

just because you have the philosophy that if a driver is older than 1 day (being sarcastic, since you don't comprehend what you read)  it is required to update. The article above disproves your philosophy.

EDIT: When someone insults you in a thread or reply,  you immediately start crying and whining to the Moderator to have that person's reply deleted or banned. Yet when you do the exact same thing and insult others or the thread then it is fine.

I called that being a hypocrite in my book.

@elstaci 

If someone reports a bug concerning a problem on a game, that is enough of a definition for me to say they are a "gamer".
Sounds like a twisty turny argument of desperation to me. 

To use AMD Bug Reporting Tool or get support you have to use the latest (current) released driver to report the issue or it will get ignored until you do.
You will get asked to do that by AMD email support as well. 
Been over that before in this very thread, all explained, go back and read it.

Regarding "just because you have the philosophy that if a driver is older than 1 day "
I do not have that philosophy at all.
I asked that the latest driver is tested because that is what you have to do to get AMD to look the problem as per their own documentation and previous experience with reporting bugs and email support myself. 

Regarding this: 

"EDIT: When someone insults you in a thread or reply,  you immediately start crying and whining to the Moderator to have that person's reply deleted or banned. Yet when you do the exact same thing and insult others or the thread then it is fine.

I called that being a hypocrite in my book."

I have not reported anyone to the moderator at all on this thread and very rarely have done on any other Forum threads.
If someone reported you to a moderator on this thread, it was not me. 

0 Likes

Since this thread has served it's purpose and has now descended into a flame war, it's locked.

darmazat
Journeyman III

For my RX 6800 OC Rog Strix, this is AMD's worst driver so far and the previous were already very bad.

I had the 21.3.1 drivers installed after using AMD cleanup in safe mode, but both my monitors start flickering randomly with this driver when gaming. And yes that happens with freeSync/Enhanced Sync/VSync/VRR in Windows totally OFF. The pc even just freezes after one minute of that flickering.

At that time, eventlog says: "Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." yeah right.

Windows' reliability monitor says the cause is the 21.3.1 AMD openGL driver located at C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0365275.inf_amd64_136741f59e43f995\B364966\atio6axx.dll

I've now had this two days in a row, right after the upgrade, so now just downgraded to 20.12.1 using veeam backup restore and the issue is gone. will never update it again.

0 Likes