cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Why the 21.3.1 being Recommended (WHQL) with so many issue's?

So ... did the PC Repair / Construction person visit and discuss what exactly your GPU is? 
Did they DDU and install Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1?
Does it work now? 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

This is strictly my sole opinion on this whole thread:

1- The OP should stay on the AMD driver that works flawlessly with the GPU card and computer and not update it unless she obsolutely has to. Either because a specific program or game requires a newer Graphics driver to work or run correctly or to fix a Graphics issue that started.

2- Next the OP will need to verify which GPU card she has installed. The GPU Card on the PCB board somewhere should have a Serial Number or ID which she can ask Sapphire to check for her.

3- Wheher her GPU card is a RX480 or RX580, the AMD driver is the same for both GPU cards.

4-If the OP was given a RX480 but payed for a RX580 is a good reason to verify the GPU card she was sold.

5-If the OP should start having issues and the current working AMD Graphics driver needs to be updated to fix the issue then she can start installing the latest AMD driver and see how it works.

6-The OP can always upgrade her GPU card to a newer Model, if it is within her budget, instead of relying on a used GPU card. Not knowing the full history of the used GPU card.

colesdav
MVP

If you read the post the serial number for the GPU is on the backplate. 
Sapphire have already been contacted. 
It is a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+. 
You do NOT need to look at any "Serial Numbers" on the GPU PCB. 
That PCB is the PCB for a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 and no mistake. 

The OP has been sold a second hand an RX480 GPU and it has been flashed with an RX580 VBIOS.
You should not do that.
They should actually flash the VBIOS back to the original Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 VBIOS for the GPU.
I even posted a link to an extremetech article regarding that, if you care to read it. 

The "Drivers" for an RX 580/480 are the same? 
Mmm. 
Really? 
So ... what about the higher power limit, clocks, different fan curves etc on RX580 versus RX480 GPUs?
I think the drivers need to identify the GPU first, and they likely use the VBIOS to do that. 

Regarding "staying on the driver that works...
So are you telling them to stick with Adrenalin 2020 21.2.3 forever?
There are features, like FRTC that are back in the Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 driver that definitely help reduce GPU power consumption and temperatures of the GPU.

That might help the artifacting problems reported.

0 Likes
mat777
Elite

made you absolutely right but performance is less good with Driver: 21.3.1 I am going back to Driver: 20.11.2 more stable and but performance is better

elstaci
MVP

If you also read she said the cowl/covering was replaced so that Serial number is invalid. The Serial Number or ID number on the PCB can not be replaced  or removed without being noticed.

@SofiaBonez:

"When I confronted the builder about the sticker showing RX 480 8GB he said "I put the wrong faceplate/heatsink on it" which can happen as I seen like 4 other video card that he had of the same one different heatsink/faceplate and since he's colorblind it can happen even more"

The Drivers are the same, the only difference is how the driver is used by the GPU card.

Is there a written rule or law that says you HAVE TO UPDATE a driver whether you need it or not?

Most Techs suggest not to update unless the current driver is giving problems or for a specific program. Unless the User wants to add some new feature by updating to a newer version.

Plus the OP has already proven that the newer driver is causing artifacts to occur while the previous driver worked flawlessly. So why are you insisting the Op to update from a working driver to one that is giving her issues and most likely newer version might have the same problem.

I, personally, if I was in her position I wouldn't update until it was obsolutely necessary since I know that newer versions will give me problems. If it comes to where I have to update then I would and hope the latest doesn't cause any issues as the previous drivers.

Since the OP is not very computer savvy I don't blame her for being cautious since she has to depend on the expertise of the person who built her computer.

Like I mentioned, my previous reply was just my sole opinion and not to get into an arguement with you @colesdav rather to clear up the issues the OP has.

If you want to force the OP to update that is your perogative.

colesdav
MVP

You are wrong but I cannot be bothered replying to you unless you really read the thread properly.
Rant away.
I am not fighting with anyone. 

The builder is lying about the "wrong faceplate by mistake". 
It is rubbish.
The GPU needs to be flashed with the correct VBIOS for the Sapphire RX480 Nitro + card as a starter for 10.

As for the 21.3.1 "driver not working" after DDU 
From my understanding the OP PC builder ran DDU, installed Adrenalin 2020 21.2.3, that worked. 
The OP then installed Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 over 21.2.3 without uninstalling the previous driver. 
So no wonder it doesn't work. 

The PC builder is supposed to be running DDU and installing 2020. 21.3.1 for the OP.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Ok, that is fine that is your personal opinion and have the same personal opinion about you.

The only opinion that counts is @SofiaBonez .

So it really doesn't matter what you or what I suggest.

She has enough information to form her own opinions on what to do.

She seems to be very good at finding information so she can always verify everything that is mentioned in this thread herself.

elstaci
MVP

@colesdav,The only person that is ranting is you. All I have done is state the facts the way I see it and nothing more.

You on the other hand are trying to pressure the OP into installing a driver that isn't necessary for her computer to work.

colesdav
MVP

Nonsense.

0 Likes
SofiaBonez
Adept III

Sorry @colesdav I see it the same way @elstaci does 

BTW @colesdav  the 21.3.1 driver is available for a laptop thats 4 years old that the CPU is AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD R5 Graphics and it's listed on the RX 480 website of AMD so much for your theory for it not being working for that graphics card.

And even @mat777 mentioned the 21.3.1 not working as you said it should and that he's going back to the 20.11.2 for a more stable and and performance better driver maybe you need to stick where you belong which is off this thread

Any computer builder or tech needs a few days to look at a computer and upgrade it as well it isn't done in 1 day when they have a job and only do the building/tech as a side job.

Sorry I'm not computer savvy enough to do it myself or trust myself enough to know what I would be doing so I trust other computer builder's/tech or computer shop's.

0 Likes