cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

cereal0
Adept I

Why latest driver for 7950 doesnt work with vulkan?

i instaled vulkan runtime but no, doesnt work.

had to instal some old driver from 2016 to get game working but its still not perfect cause driver sucks,

just wanted to report that

could you say at what point driver vulkan support stopped it? so i can install latest that work

game is doom

My system
hd 7950

i5 2500k

8gb 1600 hz ram dual chanel

1tb hard drive ps 650 W

0 Likes
24 Replies

You can ask AMD Email Form

0 Likes

i hope amd dev gods visit support and thay will see my message

0 Likes

They don't visit here if that is what you mean. These are User to User support forums. Not AMD employees. Kingfish gave you the link for tech support.

I can tell you I ran Vulkan in the 18.3.3 driver with Doom no problem if that helps.

0 Likes

i tried that, didnt work, the only driver that worked out is 16.7.2, what card do you have?

0 Likes

I have played that game with my HD 7950, R9 380X and RX 580.

0 Likes

according to the latest AMD Driver for the HD 7950 Release notes. It does support Vulkan: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Release Notes | AMD

Added Vulkan™ Extension Support

• VK_EXT_descriptor_indexing
    • This extension adds several small features which together enable applications to create large descriptor sets containing substantially all of their resources and selecting amongst those resources with dynamic (non-uniform) indexes in the shader.
  • VK_KHR_get_display_properties2
    • This extension provides new entry points to query device display properties and capabilities in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions, without introducing any further entry points.
  • VK_KHR_8bit_storage
    • This extension allows use of 8-bit types in uniform and storage buffers and push constant blocks.
  • VK_KHR_draw_indirect_count
    • This extension allows an application to source the number of draw calls for indirect draw calls from a buffer.
  • VK_KHR_create_renderpass2EXT_vertex_attribute_divisor
    • This extension provides a new entry point to create render passes in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions through the substructures of render pass creation.
    • This extension allows instance-rate vertex attributes to be repeated for certain number of instances instead of advancing for every instance when instanced rendering is enabled.

Can you post the name of the Game that doesn't work?  Have you checked to see if there are any latest Patches for the game that might fix your problem?

How do you know that the Vulkan Runtimes is not working?

This website explains about Vulkan Runtime Libraries: https://www.drivers.com/update/pc-fix-tips/all-you-needed-to-know-about-vulkan-runtime-libraries/

so i had this driver i installed 17.10.3 17.12.1 18.3.3 18.8.1 17.11.1 and 16.7.2 and only that 16 worked out
how do i know? i got error message, if i add vk dll to doom folder it will also show blue screen in program (not BSOD) that will show me vkCreateInstance failed with error (VK_ERROR_EXTENSION_NOT_PRESENT)

i dont know why i cant get that blue screen now

/edit

Ok i uninstalled every driver i could and after i got same message i copied vk dll to game again, and now i got new vk error (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER) hmm.... any ideas gentlemens?

0 Likes

just curious to why you have to add VK.dll to the game. If the game needs to use Vulkan it will access the libraries or the game itself will install whatever files it needs to run vulkan.

EDIT:  Is this the Vulkan error you are getting by any chance :vulkan-1.dll error.

If you google DOOM with Vulkan Error you will see quite a few entries concerning this. Check some of the websites for possible fix to your problem.  By the way, In 2016, DOOM came out with a patch to make it work in Vulkan.

0 Likes

Very good points here making me think. I didn't have to install anything other than the driver for Vulkan to work . I know to this day the Demo does not work but the full up to date game does. Is your game fully up to date? Is this a steam or other service version of this game? I would verify the game cache and make sure it is up to date. Even reinstall it and see if this help. It really ran flawless for me.

I have imtresting update, dll I have in game is diferent than installed by amd, its only 125 kb and amd one is 900kb. If I swap in sys32 vk dll on 16.7.2 its working. On 900kb version vkinfo gives error leading to amd vulkan jsos. There is misspell in that file that gives error, after correcting there is no error but doom is still not working, I will test some again when I get home cause I think I might be up for something

This is from DOOM Support website concerning Vulkan FAQ. it is two years old but maybe it might help: Vulkan Now Available - FAQ | Community Beta for Bethesda.net

This thread in Reddit explains a workaround for using an older working version of Vulkan with a newer version of AMD Driver: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5x9ncl/doom_vulkan_1721

You can download the old AMD Driver with the Vulkan the User is talking about from here: Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 16.12.1 Release Notes . The download is all the way towards the bottom of the page.

that might be it, it would explain dll thats working and newer dll that is not working, that will work.
seems like it will work, brb gotta check

0 Likes

well again, that didnt work out, i contacted amd support thay told me to install 18.5.1 that i do now. it might be that doom doesnt support the new one version of vulkan that amd adds to their driver install + driver itself isnt compatybile with vulkan that much, so on 16.7.2 it worked out but not in 18 one, damn thats strange

0 Likes

Did you install the latest AMD Driver than uninstalled Vulkan libraries from Control Panel if it was there. Then unpacked the old AMD Driver and clicked on the old version of Vulkan to install it?

I not sure if the AMD Driver needs the updated Vulkan libraries to work correctly or if by installing the old version of Vulkan it will still work.

Note: Downloaded the Previous AMD Driver suggested by the User in the link. Extracted the contents using 7zip and zipped up the VulkanRT folder and attached here to this post.

Unzip the Folder and click on the VulkanRT.exe in the inside folder after installing the latest AMD Package.  Install the latest AMD Driver and then see if you can delete Vulkan separately from Control Panel. If not then see if you can install the older VulkanRT on top of the new one.

What would happen if you replace the VulkanRT folder in the latest AMD Package with the older version than run the installation package. I wonder if it would install the old version or you will get an installation error.  The ONLY difference between the Old AMD Vulkan and the new AMD Vulkan Folders is the size but otherwise identical.

If need be, Repair DOOM or reinstall it with the AMD setup with the old vulkan installed and see if it runs correctly. If not then install the latest AMD Package using the below instructions. then run SFC /scannow to see if your Windows OS is in good shape or not.

install AMD driver :

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update. Windows MUST be fully updated because the latest AMD Drivers requires all  the latest "Optional" and "Recommended" Updates to be installed.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.9.0 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum in safe mode to eliminate all traces of the current AMD driver and software from your computer.

Delete C:\AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot.

3) Go to Device Manager and click on "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you manually downloaded. Make sure to disable the Internet to prevent Windows Update from installing a newer version. Also configure Windows to prevent it from updating Drivers via Windows Update. Also it has been mentioned to disable any Anti-virus programs before installation of AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C:\AMD folder from the Root directory. To save space on the HDD.

6)Enable both the internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check to be sure your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

0 Likes

eh update, installed vulkan that worked in driver 16.7 and again, its not working, i uninstalled everything installed 18.5 and installed vulkan libary from that other driver
still nothing, i think i will just give up for now cause i must go tomorow to netherland for month, so maybe amd will actually make driver that works, maybe thay dont care about old 7950 card ;/

0 Likes

FYI: this User just opened a thread here at AMD concerning DOOM and looks like Vulkan also: windows 10 , Vulkan , Doom ( engine has Crashed )

0 Likes

Since DOOM does work with the latest AMD Package and Vulkan libraries as per pokester​ then it means you have something installed on your computer that isn't compatible or corrupted that causes errors with the new Vulkan or AMD Package.

Try running DOOM with the latest AMD package installed under a CLEAN WINDOWS DESKTOP.

How to do a CLEAN WINDOWS DESKTOP: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I know it worked as of 18.3.3 with 3 of my cards. I did however run it with the latest last night with my RX 580.

0 Likes

AMD Support mentioned to another user having installation/uninstalling issues by running this Microsoft Troubleshooter.

I have it posted here so you can download it and run it.

0 Likes

OP posted 'game is doom'(assuming it is the 2016 full vers., not the Demo ?).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

you are correct, didn't catch that . thanks

0 Likes

Yes its full

0 Likes

What version of the game and what service are you using?

0 Likes

service? version 6.1.1.1735

0 Likes