cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Varuna
Journeyman III

Why is AMD suddenly demanding that users accept Microsoft malware on their systems?

When Microsoft Inc. chose to write ineradicable malware - including a keylogger - into its Orwell 10 OS, and to push that malware backward via its "updates" to older OS versions like 7  (which I currently use, and which will presumably be the last MS OS I will ever use,) it forced Windows users to adopt Draconian methods to protect their online security. 

So for the last several years I've had to revert to saving absolutely nothing to the system drive, performing a complete drive-wipe, secure overwrite and OS reinstall every couple of months, and along with a number of unnecessary processes, leaving Windows "updates" disabled from the outset.  Which means a hack risk for the duration of that two-month period - but a preferable alternative to transferring my passwords, bank accounts, correspondence and all other vital information to... the magically-angelic MS employees in their cubicles in Redmond, WA?

And "Oh, but you can turn those features off" is like someone selling you a house, keeping a set of keys and telling you "Oh, if you tell me not to, I promise I won't go in while you're away."

Up until a few months ago, installation of AMD's Catalyst software - which I keep on a USB drive - worked without a hitch irrespective of Microsoft "updates" or their absence.  I've been using ver. 15.7.1 (which for some reason calls itself 8.0.916.0 in that red installation pop-up,) for a tiny 6670HD card - necessitated by the physical constraints of a small form factor chassis and MB - and it's always installed just fine.  Until a few months ago.

Now selecting the "Custom" button brings up only the Install Manager itself and no other options - and once I set it in motion, an "Application Install:  install package failure!" error pop-up.

Please tell me there's a workaround for this, or simple reversion to the installation software which worked perfectly fine up until a few months ago.

I absolutely will not be forced to swallow Microsoft's poison as a precondition for getting something as simple as a graphic card driver installed.  I paid for this card on the expectation that it would function as advertised, and it has, well.  So can someone please explain to me why AMD is now demanding of its users that they acquiesce to the acceptance of irrelevant third-party malware?

Again, this driver software functioned perfectly for years under all of the identical conditions, irrespective of Microsoft's "updates" or their absence.   

AMD needs to stand by its products - without demanding of users that they compromise their system security choices for no good reason. 

0 Likes
16 Replies