cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Re: Why is AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 incremental update notifying and advising to upgrade to 18.12.2?

Jump to solution

Sorry for my delay in responding.

I agree - it is a small bug, and only slightly annoying, in comparison to the bug that cause my delay in responding to this post - Adrenalin 2019 Wattman Automatic Overclocking which should be renamed "Self Destruct", and require the approval of the Captain and the First Officer before you press it, if you run an RX Vega 64 Liquid for example. More on that in a different post.

I do not know why this  post and bug report has caused so much interest although other far more serious bugs / problems I have reported that rarely get a response.
Probably because this one is simple to look at and very easy to respond to.

I wasn't even going to report this one, but I thought I should, mostly since the recommendation below is given. Already on 18.12.3 and yet recommend going to 18.12.2
pastedImage_5.png

Bye.

0 Likes
ryan6700
Journeyman III

Re: Why is AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 incremental update notifying and advising to upgrade to 18.12.2?

Jump to solution

Same problem here. Not a huge issue of course, just annoying seeing the Windows notification every single time I boot up my PC. On 18.12.3 and keep getting notified that "New" version is available a.k.a 18.12.2. Even a "Skip this version" button would be nice, just to stop the notifications until the next update appeared.

waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

After multiple installs, both clean and otherwise, I found that 18.12.2 is very buggy in the UI department--it would simply lock up after making any number of option adjustments--just lock up. "End task" restoration by taskmanager was the only way out. (Note: that I am not talking about the normal "driver not responding" pauses for the UI.)  I reported it--then a day later 18.12.3 was released which is *blessedly* free of the UI lock up problem.  Neither 18.12.1 or 18.12.1.1 had the problem, only 18.12.2---the initial release of the 2019 Adrenalins.  I don't advise advise anyone go back to 18.12.2!

I also noticed the advice to "upgrade" to .2 from .3--bad advice...;)  Stick with .3.

0 Likes
johnniedoo
Adept II

Jump to solution

sure, i did turn off notifications but now the new Radeon Settings Advisor is telling me to go back to 12.2.2. it is only slightly annoying  but i get a few lock up issues with minor changes in the display settings. like turning on or turning off gpu scaling  or changing from or to RGB in either direction to either full of limited . this is a new thing. i see others have same things.  all of my equipment is rated to handle 4k @ 60hz but i can not make this happen. it reverts to 30hz. this is new too. i am not sure why or if it is windows 10 or AMD

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

A 30Hz limit may mean that the wrong monitor driver has been selected somehow through the Windows 10 interface.  Right-click anywhere on your desktop and select Display Properties from the context menu, scroll down the page and select Advanced Display Properties,  then from the next page that comes up, select Display Adapter Properties for Display 1.    A box with three tabs will appear, Adapter, Monitor, and Color Management.  Select Monitor. The Monitor tab will open and display the name of your monitor--and under Screen Refresh rates you should see "60 Hertz"--if you see "30 Hertz" then you should probably install a monitor driver that will support 60Hz at 4k.  

johnniedoo
Adept II

Jump to solution

thanks walt, but i have done that innumerable times , innumerable ddu  driver removal and clean reinstalls as well as windows 10 checks. everything 'looks' fine but that crazy 30hz pick keep on happening , since 18.11. or 18.9 something forget which.  i am  sure i have set up some conflict or other in my fiddling , that the clean install doesnt get . i have posted to microsoft forums too. i am in the 'insider program' though i have slowed down on the too far advance os build as of 6months ago. but i am still getting glitchy pre release stuff i think.  the green screen club .i appreciate the answer though.

but you do  point out an issue about mon properties and i get generic monitor 1 and/or generic monitor 2. i have a samsung 24 1080p monitor hdmi that i installed the samsung digital drivers for. the other monitor is 4k and known to be 4k/60hz capable as is my onkyo rz720 , i have tried direct hdmi 2.2 monoprice premium cables and many others with same rating direct from my pc 480 8gb and through the onkyo avr all new and properly rated hdmi cables. i have all of them 10' or less too. --i had used longer ones too and other higher price hdmi cables sposed to be hdmi 2 . all on hdmi too. i get frustrated is all.  i do not know where the 30hz came from. had been always 60hz even with the generic monitor assignment in properties. i will pursue this however. did not consider that may have regressed.

john

0 Likes
johnniedoo
Adept II

Jump to solution

i mis read your reply, i should have indicated that i do have a full range of refresh rate options from 23hz through 60hz with the appropriate ones in standard type and the non recommended ones in italics. it is just that windows or radeon or both continue to select 30hz at 12bit color, i changed to 10bit and still chooses 30hz on any change. i am certain that the drivers that amd loads support 4k at 60hz over the proper cable to the appropriate devices. i would not know where to get these special 60hz drivers if you could enlighten me. i have looked for device specific drivers for samsung and my lg or tcl tvs. i get the windows 10 generic drivers which are supposed to support 4k at 60 and do show it in the box you note. just wont keep it there since the 18.12 updates came though and do not know for sure it is the fault of the amd driver updates or one of the many buggy windows 10 updates. either or both are known for minor bugs in releases and i expect some in beta releases and work through them

thanks again

jon

0 Likes
dantech
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Yes as it seems there is no real problem but the bigger problem is getting phones from customers who does not understand the situation (i run a computer shop) and wasting half of the day on phone explaining the situation

0 Likes
peter58
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hello

I have the same problem, under WIN10, Radeon RX580.

After installing, I will get this image back and I will not be able to quit this loop because he will offer it again and again as he found a new version.

Jegyzet 2018-12-30 130059.jpg

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

There are dozens of identical posts...with the correct answer.

1. It is a bug.

2. Nothing you can do about it.

3. It in no way affects the driver function.