cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

majorfail
Journeyman III

Why doesn't AMD OD detect my AMD gpu?

I have searched, and find a lot of discussion on OD not detecting Nvidia cards, but I have R9 390. (complete AMD system)

I will show up in the details, but not in status. I am currently using afterburner for card monitoring, but would like to be able to just use OD for all of it.

Thanks for any help, I hope I didn't just overlook something... (actually, I hope I did, and it's simple...)

Details.PNGStatus.PNG

0 Likes
6 Replies

Uninstall MSI Afterburner after putting it on "Default' and reboot and see if Overdrive recognizes your GPU card. It is possible MSI Afterburner is preventing Overdrive from using your GPU card.

Also you may want to update your Graphics driver for the R9 390 from here: AMD Radeon™ R9 390 Drivers & Support | AMD

Also try and see if you can use AMD Wattman which replaced AMD Overdrive for your GPU card. Here is info on AMD Wattman: How to Tune GPU Performance Using Radeon Wattman and Radeon Chill | AMD ​. If Wattman is not available it means you then need to use AMD Overdrive.

Note: Someone else can show you how properly configure Wattman for your GPU card like kingfish​ or pokester​.

Thank you,

I will try uninstalling Afterburner this evening.

The drivers are current at 18.11.1

Thanks again.

0 Likes

The utility is for cpu/apu only.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

This website says that AMD Overdrive can be used to overclock GPUs also. It is not only for CPU/APUs. : AMD Overdrive - The AnandTech Guide to Video Card Overclocking Software

Plus AMD Overdrive is part of Radeon Settings for GPU cards.

Maybe a Stand alone AMD Overdrive is available for CPU/APU which seems to be the case. But the Overdrive in Radeon Settings is used for AMD GPU cards.

0 Likes

Your looking at the CCC overdrive, the AOD utility is a separate/stand alone download.

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Okay, goodplay​ made a good observation. The Overdrive stand alone Utility is used for only the CPU/APUs. Yet, why it has GPU STATUS setting I don't know. But at least you will be able to see some very basic GPU settings under "Details".

I installed AMD Overdrive on my computer just now. It works fine for my AMD CPU but didn't recognize my Nvidia GPU card but did give general information on other hardware in my computer. I removed it because I have Gadgets on my Desktop that allows me to constantly keep track of my CPU and GPU status.

The AMD OVERDRIVE that you need to use to check and configure your AMD GPU Card is included in the AMD Driver Package. Once you install it, Under Radeon Settings, there will be a Overdrive Menu which will be used to check and configure your AMD GPU card.

This AMD OVERDRIVE was replaced by AMD WATTMAN in the later versions of AMD Driver Package. But MSI Afterburner at times has conflicts  with AMD WATTMAN even it Wattman is not activated. But when you install AMD Driver Package and you don't see AMD Wattman is because your GPU card is not supported by Wattman and you must use AMD Overdrive.

So, you can use the Overdrive Utility to check and configure your CPU if it is supported.

NOTE: you can mark goodplay​ answer as "Correct" since he was the one that spotted that you were using the wrong AMD Overdrive for your GPU card.