cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

irongiant
Adept I

Why do I only have OpenGL 3.1 installed when my AMD Radeon HD 6750 supports OpenGL 4.4?

As in the title, I have an AMD Radeon HD 6750 that is running the graphics for an Intel Core i7 2600 processor running Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (bionic beaver). According to techpowerup.com this card should be able to support OpenGL 4.4, but after running

>> glxinfo | grep 'version'

my OpenGL version is only listed as 3.1. I saw that a potential fix could be to install oibaf graphics drivers . After trying without success on Ubuntu 18.04.5, I tried again on Ubuntu 21.04 (one of the supported releases) and still was not successful. I am trying to run Arma 3 via Steam and I am pretty sure this problem can be solved because I played Arma 3 on this same build just with Windows OS instead of Linux. I even tried reverting back to Ubuntu 14.04 which is supported by AMD's official software for the AMD Radeon HD 6750, but my OpenGL version actually downgraded rather than upgraded. Furthermore, I've tried the advanced console commands within Steam to try and force the application to load, but it always crashes on startup. I refuse to accept that Linux can't do something that Windows can, so I have been at this problem for a couple of days but I always end up breaking the graphics drivers on my image and needing to reinstall the desktop image. If you have any tips or suggestions on how to fix it, I would be very appreciative.

0 Likes
5 Replies

I did my due diligence in looking through the forum for identical posts, and I am fairly confident that I couldn't find anything. If I've missed something it's my fault, but that link y it I posted just took me to the general drivers forum discussion. 

Could be a Linux issue with the AMD Driver installed for Linux.

Found this several years old Ubuntu Thread with the exact same issue you are having with the same GPU Card: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1005564/unable-to-update-opengl-to-4-x-from-3-3

Screenshot 2021-04-30 164028.png

I would open a thread at Phoronix (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/amd-linux) and ask them if it is possible to enable OpenGL 4.5 on your HD6750 GPU Card and how do to it if possible.

Thank you for the response, it was really helpful. I'll take your suggestion and try and open a thread on Phoronix. Kudos to you for finding the old forum post, I guess my sleuthing abilities need some work!

I have become experienced in searching Google.

To get the best results in Google is HOW you ask the question or sentence to get the best results. 

If you ask too general of terms you will get millions of hits that will not get what you are looking for.