cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Cyborg6
Journeyman III

Why are the latest Radeon drivers rubbish ?

Updated my Radeon drivers 2 weeks ago.

All my sound whas gone after that.

Not fixable in any way.

I had to use the restorepoint before i installed the driver to fix it even...

SAPPHIRE HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 VAPOR-X, AMD Radeon HD 7900-series

0 Likes
4 Replies

If you are unhappy with the latest drivers you don't have to upgrade to them. You can still run whatever driver you were happy with. Just run DDU first and re-install the one you want.

They have not made any new optimizations for that card in years and many of us have pretty much had problems with pre vega drivers over the past year. 

If you need an older driver that isn't on the AMD site anymore. I find the last December 2019 driver still works well on the old cards. You can get that from GURU3D dot COM.

By all means do report the issue to AMD, the newer drivers should be working as the 7970 is still a supported card. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

I have had constant issues since i got my radeon card last year. choppy audio microstutter in games, stuttering cutscenes, tearing etc. I updated to the latest driver last night and now i have had 3 driver timeout and 3 BSOD! never picking radeon again.

0 Likes

I don't know what card you have but the 20.8.3 works great. Use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the AMD GPU drivers, not audio! Then reboot/reinstall with 20.8.3. AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT Previous Drivers | AMD scroll down to the 20.8.3 Windows 10 x64 or 32. The driver works for most AMD cards from 2017 onward. The RX 5700 XT link will take you to the same list as will the RX580,570,etc.

I fit still acts up, there are other things that can cause it, like RAM settings, more. But would need more info about your system.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 Previous Drivers | AMD Pick the one that worked then uninstall via DDU like @pokester  said but do it in safe mode. Install after reboot, you should be fine. I found out a while back that when you have a working AMD driver with no issues, leave it be. Unless there's a specific issue or game update in the release notes, I just run this driver.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes