Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

waltc
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: Why are the drivers so terrible right now? Can't play games

It's not quite that simple...;)  The assumption that gpu activity less than 100% means lower frame rates just isn't so categorically.  Many factors come into play...such as cpu restrictions, resolution, etc.  I've got a benchmark for instance that opens a tiny window only fractionally the size of the screen but can pump the gpu to 100% activity--it's doing other things than punching pixels, obviously.

I own an R9 380 4GB & I don't notice any diminished frame rates with the Crimsons--at least that is perceivable by me when playing (without some artificial visual crutch running to convince me how much "slower" they are.)  But then, I'm running the Crimsons inside the Catalyst CC shell and not through the Crimson interface.  People are assuming that the Crimson interface must entail a lower overhead than the Catalyst interface--because .Net isn't being used--but I'm not so sure about that at all.  (cnext.exe seems to use a lot more ram, 41MBs, than the < 10MBs used by CCC.exe.)

0 Kudos
adrenalinemech
Adept III
Adept III

Same machine, same games, different driver version its pretty simple. You must be playing solitaire or some other GPU non-intensive games. Obviously you are using GPU-Z to put a synthetic load on your GPU to pump it up to 100% but that is not even the point of the conversation. in reference to your comment "The assumption that gpu activity less than 100% means lower frame rates just isn't so categorically." If you can roll back a driver and run a program and get your GPU to reach its maximum clock speed in a game while watching GPU usage with HWMonitor or some other program.... then install the latest driver and repeat the same steps and see the GPU usage at half its rated clock speed say 495mhz on a R9 380 4GB that has a clock speed of 1030mhz without changing anything else then it is pretty clear that the latest driver is inadequate.

And as I mentioned in earlier in the post the current driver breaks several "Triple A" titles that run fine and have less or no GFX issues.

This forum is full of complaints about bugs and performance with the 300 series cards in numerous game titles, most of which were performing better prior to the Crimson release. So it is MY opinion that the new drivers in their current state are not acceptable performance wise.

We are suppose to be trying to help each other solve their technical problems here so that others can play their games and enjoy their computing experience. Not posting a bunch of useless info about "artificial visual crutches and benchmarks" that mean absolutely nothing.

adrenalinemech
Adept III
Adept III

I hope they improve with the next release. But like you pointed out... More known issues on the list than resolved =P

I'm afraid that we will end up with a WHQL version of what we currently have to be honest

0 Kudos
mwnn
Adept II
Adept II

@That's basically what they seem(ed?) to be - with two extra fixes:

Highlights of AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12

This release provides users with a Microsoft WHQL certified version of the AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.11.1

• [83112] Radeon Settings driver update check is not available for minor driver versions
  • [83111] System has higher idle power usage on Windows® 7 when running with Radeon Settings

I assume the plan has changed.

I can understand why they'd want to replace the stable broken 15.11 driver with a "proper" stable driver (Why 15.11 is still downloadable with the fan bug - I don't know - so much for WHQL!)

But if they release a new driver without some Fallout 4 fixes - the Bethesda faithful around here will probably torch this place down =D

Bethesda don't get any blame of course - we all know that they make perfectly stable & tested games

I wouldn't say AMD's drivers or hardware are terrible in general; certainly no worse than Nvidia - how about the:

> Faulty mobile chips melting laptops

> GTX 970 memory con

Usually they're playing catchup down to Nvidia GameWorks sabotage aka:

> Crysis 2 concrete blocks and underground water

> Witcher 3's hair

...etc, hence the tessellation settings.

Will GPUOpen change things - I suppose that depends on:

> How big the check is from the green teams Chairman Huang and the axis of evil

> Whether developers have any integrity left

xboxshqip
Elite
Elite

I don't have CrossFire but yeah, there are problems, I will test more games.

Perhaps today, I was just messing around in GTA V and spinning the tires on dirt, frame drooped to 34fps like the game was utilizing PhysiX.

We can only hope at this time that they get fixed , and keep reporting bugs and stuff.

xboxshqip
Elite
Elite

I can confirm this thing on the clock speed, and i tested it with the Leo demo.

adrenalinemech
Adept III
Adept III

Thank you!

0 Kudos
adrenalinemech
Adept III
Adept III

Yes... we need everyone that is involved it the forums that are having issues to keep filling out bug reports and sending them in. And we need to keep posting our findings, fixes and complaints on the forums. The more we voice our thoughts on this matter the more likely it is to get fixed. Keep up the good work Gentlemen!

0 Kudos
nilsatis
Adept I
Adept I

My rig: 2500k@ 4.6ghz and gigabyte r9 290 @ stock clocks. 8gb Kingston Hyper x ram; running Windows 10 (latest update).

Just thought I would voice my opinion on the performance of these drivers. I have had absolutely fantastic performance in all of the 50+ games I have tried with the new BETA crimson drivers. Like everyone I had the fan bug on the WHQL release (which is absolutely unforgivable tbh AMD), and I also experience compass corruption in Fallout 4. Aside from that, performance has been great. I am noticing on *some* games there seems to be a bug where browsing on the web becomes slow when alt tabbing out of a game etc. and this really is the only thing I have noticed; apart from maybe.....the temperature at idle/load going up slightly in a lot of games.

I have not used Overdrive to overclock and quite frankly would never use it to overclock. There are better tools out there, but I have heard there are also problems with this; they need to be fixed. Clocks getting stuck at the upper edges of an overclock is not good.

Aside from this I find it really, really odd that people are experiencing completely different results from the new drivers...is it the new 300 series in particular that is not liking them I wonder, as my experience has been really good. Noticeably smoother (without specific frame rate increases imho) and gaming wise...solid and bug free aside from Fallout 4.

Due to purchase Just Cause 3 in next few days...will see how that goes as have heard it doesn't run too well on AMD. Everything else has worked great. 

0 Kudos
sharky7337
Adept I
Adept I

So crimson 15.12 today.....

GW2 still launches to black screen... unplayable

SWTOR same -- balck screen unplayable

Way to go! these are the released drivers that aren't beta?