cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

killroy2963
Adept II

WHQL Drivers Release Cadence

Nvidia has had 4 WHQL drivers since October, while AMD has had one that was in October. The AMD driver team is totally lacking when compared to Nvidia. I can't wait to dump this 6900 XT and go back to Nvidia, lesson learned.

0 Likes
17 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

DXdiag says 22.1.1 are WHQL Logo'd... 30.0.14023.1009.. Windows 11..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Going on almost 3 months and still no WHQL driver from AMD.

0 Likes

Usually only 4 to 5 a year. Not a big deal.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

not a big deal you say???

It is a very big deal since Microsoft is continuously reverting the AMD drivers to an older microsoft version in windows 11.

I would say this is a VERY BIG DEAL. Either AMD or MICROSOFT get their act together or they both will fly out the door. 

0 Likes

That's your problem for not knowing how to stop/defer driver updates.

Wake up and learn how to use/modify an OS to your advantage.

You probably also let your browsers have full control. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Im just curious about WHQL drivers. My machine was having a problem with conflicting drivers for gpu. Could it be that having the optional drivers installed was creating the issue?  My card would disable, and the fix was to reinstall drivers which would work for a few days. Maybe windows wanted me to have a certain version? However, it just happened again with WHQL drivers also. So, Im lost on the driver issue. 

0 Likes

@ goodplay

dude, stop being a wiseguy, the fact is that windows has no business downgrading latest graphics drivers at all.

OK ?

of course i have disabled that feature AFTER finding out that windows keeps doing it time and time again.

OK ?

you're one of those who thinks he's THE computer expert when in reality...oh oh , i know all you arrogant types who

think they are reinventing HOT WATER.. smartasses better learn you are not the gods of computing. 

The way you respond tells all us veterans what we are dealing with. OK ?

@cplifj 

Does your computer have the issue with display drivers stopping? It disables my gpu, and starts running generic windows display driver. I turned off windows update, but didn't help. I also turned off option in the device installation settings in windows. When the failure happens my gpu light turns red until reboot. Assume that's windows shutting it down.

0 Likes

Chad,

No the graphics does not stop, it is just the windows update that whenever it runs it downloads the old drivers and just installs them, overwriting any newer drivers.

0 Likes

This does not apply to Windows Home edition, only Windows 10/11 Pro or Enterprise.

0 Likes

No...you can add it.

Add Group Policy Editor to Win10 Home:

https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/enable_group_policy_editor_in_windows_10_home_edition.html

Or > https://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/policy_plus.html

(with video and pictures) > https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/enable_or_disable_windows_10_driver_downloads.html

kingfish_0-1642627196458.png

As you can see rules are not limited to any version:

kingfish_1-1642627196667.png

As you can see rules are not limited to any version:

kingfish_2-1642627267564.png

Kingfish is correct.

In fact there are several DIY videos on YouTube of how to use Regedit to add Pro functions to Home Edition Windows 10 OS.

0 Likes

I have had to specifically stop MS driver updates JUST for AMD as I want driver updates from MS for other devices.

MS and AMD should work together on this TBH.

We also have the whole SCEP issue as well caused by TPM enablement with Win 11 rollout specific to AMD.

It just seems that AMD are slipping behind. 

My biggest issues with AMD drivers are the drivers are filled with bloatware, they even have a browser built in which is ridiculous, and possibly a security risk. I would do a minimal install but that lacks the game profiles and optimisations, unlike Nvidas. 

I still get driver crashes now and then, just from launching Chrome and playing a YouTube video, and no Im not wiping out my whole system in a vain attempt to fix it. Im very confident it's the drivers with 25 years of experience to back it up.

The cards do not perform very well with ray tracing

and of course my issue of a lack of WHQL drivers, with Nvidia I got at least one a month.

So after a year of owning a 6900 XT, it's safe to say I'll be going back to Nvidia as soon as the 4000 series become available. 

ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

AMD is pretty consistent with their WHQL releases about 1 every 2 to 2.5 months and that's with 22 years PC building experience.

MSI X370 M7 ACK Gaming Series MOBO

CPU Ryzen 7 2700x at 4.2Ghz

GPU Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT

RAM 32GB (8 x 4) PC 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum

SSD Samsung 870 EVO SATA 3 4TB

Windows 10 Pro 64 Version 21H2

PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 watt

MSI Gaming Series 200 watt TDP dual 135mm fans CPU Cooler.

Chassis Fans 6 120mm (3 intake 3 exhaust) Delta PC Corp. Each fan individually can move up to 160 CFM of air. Only draw back at full throttle she sounds like an old 70's era shop vac running with the case removed.

0 Likes
FederaluL
Adept III

they removed the non whql drivers from December and 11/1/2022 and released another non whql yesterday so we'll probably see 22.1.3 whql coming out soon (next week?) with RSR. - Radeon Super Resolution

EK watercooled 6900xt - 5900x - Lian Li XL - Samsung neo G8 - Logitech G910 - Hero G502
0 Likes