cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

verity2007
Newcomer

Which driver should I install for my external GPU AMD radeon RX vega 64 on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 2017 system?

Which driver should I install for my external GPU AMD radeon RX vega 64 on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 2017 system?

I've got a Breakaway box and having trouble making it work! 

Any help would be great!

Thanks so much

Verity

0 Likes
3 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

All driver support for Apple Mac products comes directly from Apple.

Ah, so @ray_m do I download the driver from Apple's website? Do you happen to have a link? Or do is everything I need with this Mojave 10.14.5 update?

Thanks again!

0 Likes

If Apple OSX supports your card it will use the driver automatically if it is an AMD card. I know of no list that shows all possible models that are truly plug and play but do know they are all AMD based. Apple does have a page that shows a few enclosures and lists some models known to work. Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support So basically AMD works but does not supply drivers.  The macs don't officially support the NVidia cards but Nvidia does actually offer drivers that work, but I have no first hand experience. If you ever have any product that falls outside that scenario such as a third party product, then whoever made the product would support it and supply the driver. AMD likely did not make the card, someone such as Saphire, XFX, Asus, MSi, etc.....  did. If their box or website claims Mac support then you would ask them about a driver supporting that claim.

Other World Computing is a big seller of ad-on mac products. They sell a lot of cards that are already Mac friendly bios flashed to work with Macs. They also have a great support team. Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More 

This is a pretty good how to article  https://appletoolbox.com/2018/11/how-to-use-an-external-gpu-with-apps-on-your-mac-computer/ 

0 Likes