cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is the 'Power Efficiency' feature on the new VII and XT range?

AMD why did you remove the 'Power Efficiency' feature from the new VII and XT range?

The core MHz is fluctuating from 150mhz to 1700mhz causing framerate issues, it simply cannot keep a stable 60FPS.

Its the exact same bloody issue with the FuryX back in 2015, here is my own thread describing the issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193069

A program was created called Clockblocker which half worked at the time, now a new program called MorePowerTools is available which hacks the driver, why are we again having to use hack programs for your bloody driver.

The thread describes the exact same issue, until AMD fixed this with a new feature called ''Power Efficiency'' which prevented the core from downclocking in 3D applications, it was brilliant from 2016-2019

We need that option back ASAP!

We spent nearly a year howling you to add this feature and you just remove it?

''Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon™ 300 series and AMD Radeon™ Fury X available under "Global Options". This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.''

This would 100% fix the VII and XT.

Here is a RAW video showcasing the issue, what a complete mess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivo4iqjbjogge8j/Powerplay%20Issue.rar?dl=0

The FuryX was SOLID60FPS.

139 Replies

john007 wrote:

That's great you can even play a game, the VII is a load of crap right now, where is this update AMD?

I wonder how well Halo would run on the Radeon VII v something from the RDNA lineup

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Halo original remaster on Steam? I guarantee it will downclock severely and cause massive stuttering just like the DAW video, just like any game with the VII, its a mess, well at least they have acknowledged the issue and have stated they are working on the power options.

I don't own any Halo games so I cannot test out the application.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

The Halo original remaster on Steam? I guarantee it will downclock severely and cause massive stuttering just like the DAW video, just like any game with the VII, its a mess, well at least they have acknowledged the issue and have stated they are working on the power options.

I don't own any Halo games so I cannot test out the application.

I have Halo on max graphics to push my rig as hard as possible and so far on this fresh install of Windows there is no stuttering or frame dropping. 

I have the Steam fps overlay on so I can see if the game is too slow etc

Halo is designed for Radeon which is what powers the console

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

May work ok on GDDR but HBM no chance.

Have you received an email from AMD with the new Power Efficiency ad?

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

May work ok on GDDR but HBM no chance.

Have you received an email from AMD with the new Power Efficiency ad?

Nothing but spam from appspot, which I see in abundance

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not one decent comment on the video, what a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9amVZ67NYw

0 Likes

Both of those cards are far too expensive for most to consider. Lots of CAD users have bought gaming cards for less pesos and found they are not so bad as long as the higher VRAM models are selected.

Digital coin vendors that have the 8GB cards found the resale value was way better when it was time to divest of old cards. My RX 480 8GB was $99, you do not want to see how low the 4GB cards fell too. Price rot from hell when a coin miner wants to liquidate.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to know if the Power Efficiency on the pro GPU's can be disabled, because if not, those GPU's are duds. 

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

I would like to know if the Power Efficiency on the pro GPU's can be disabled, because if not, those GPU's are duds. 

very few of those cards even surface on eBay, hard to sell a card with no video ports

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I'm saying is, they better be working on the power options for the VII, the GPU is packed away because its useless. Were waiting for this update, hopefully it will be fixed and we can enjoy the VII, I want to watercool it asap but not spending another 300GBP without this fixed.

0 Likes

I have to feel for you  as the Radeon VII was far from the mainstream. My RX 480 is also above mainstream but note as bad as your card.

I dissuade water cooling, seen too many leaks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We didn't purchase the VII for mainstream use by far, it was mainly allocated for development, 3D renders and such.

Still cannot test our projects on the VII, its a mess.

We need to somehow hack the DPM0 state and disable the 25mhz downclock, hopefully allocate the values from P0 state instead.

On what planet is 25mhz acceptable? Have a word AMD.

Like I have time for this AMD bloody hell fire.

Have you tried any rendering on the Radeon VII and how well it performs?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes its a joke, same issues with the downclocking, even with development we have to constantly check the profiler, just spikes GPU calls its a mess, what do you expect with 150mhz spikes.

AMD Team what are you doing? Disable the DMP0 state of 25mhz and disable the px states, which is the 'Power Efficiency' option.

Bloody hell what a mess.

Have you tried Handbrake and see how well the Radeon VII can convert an AVI file to H.264 etc

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No but I'm talking more about 3D modeling, it was more stable on the old 19.x.x driver, but still suffers from massive downclocking.

This shows 100% they didn't test anything with the prosumer VII GPU, and this is the standard 1 year later.

I have Blender and I have done some rendering with that for demonstration purposes. Blender recently was backed with a fat wallet to support the tool for a long time to come.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didn't fix anything regarding the VII with the new update, absolutely disgusting.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

They didn't fix anything regarding the VII with the new update, absolutely disgusting.

There does not seem to be anything for Radeon VII in drivers for the last 3-4 months anyway.

0 Likes

The AMD utility has a function to increase the power to the card but it does not persist at reboot. I would prefer it would do that so that my RX 480 is not being power limited when playing demanding games.

It does offer to add it to particular games it recognizes but I cannot get it to persist globally.

MSI Afterburner also cannot load a profile at boot.

0 Likes