cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is the 'Power Efficiency' feature on the new VII and XT range?

AMD why did you remove the 'Power Efficiency' feature from the new VII and XT range?

The core MHz is fluctuating from 150mhz to 1700mhz causing framerate issues, it simply cannot keep a stable 60FPS.

Its the exact same bloody issue with the FuryX back in 2015, here is my own thread describing the issue.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193069

A program was created called Clockblocker which half worked at the time, now a new program called MorePowerTools is available which hacks the driver, why are we again having to use hack programs for your bloody driver.

The thread describes the exact same issue, until AMD fixed this with a new feature called ''Power Efficiency'' which prevented the core from downclocking in 3D applications, it was brilliant from 2016-2019

We need that option back ASAP!

We spent nearly a year howling you to add this feature and you just remove it?

''Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon™ 300 series and AMD Radeon™ Fury X available under "Global Options". This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.''

This would 100% fix the VII and XT.

Here is a RAW video showcasing the issue, what a complete mess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivo4iqjbjogge8j/Powerplay%20Issue.rar?dl=0

The FuryX was SOLID60FPS.

139 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How about you prove to me that it isn't the issue like you stated?

Go ahead, be my guest.

0 Likes

Got it, you don't have any proofs to provide.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you have owned a FuryX and gone though the same crap until AMD added the feature, your words are meaningless.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

Unless you have owned a FuryX and gone though the same crap until AMD added the feature, your words are meaningless.

No Fury card in my junk box. Got a GTX 1060 and a GTX 750 but no Fury.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will never find a FuryX in a junk box because the FuryX is treasure.

AMD give me back my 'Power Efficiency' !

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

You will never find a FuryX in a junk box because the FuryX is treasure.

AMD give me back my 'Power Efficiency' !

are you using that card at the moment, I recall you were battling the Radeon VII and drivers for it

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

No we don't own a FuryX anymore.

We own a Radeon VII.

Cannot believe HBM users are back to square one. Back in the lake of AMD fire again.

We need that feature back. 

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

No we don't own a FuryX anymore.

We own a Radeon VII.

Cannot believe HBM users are back to square one. Back in the lake of AMD fire again.

We need that feature back. 

OK I was unclear as some have more video cards than I do

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

We received a reply from AMD directly, they stated the feature would be taken into consideration.

They said the same in 2015, it was fixed.

Problem is, its not the same driver team from 2015.

The issue is listed on the known issues.

'Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products'

Not mentioned the VII experiencing the same bloody issues.

0 Likes

Just like your thread.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMD have directly requested videos regarding this issue, all this week we have gone though many debug theories so again, we have sent videos to AMD directly.

AMD have already acknowledged the issue.

0 Likes

john007 wrote:

AMD have directly requested videos regarding this issue, all this week we have gone though many debug theories so again, we have sent videos to AMD directly.

AMD have already acknowledged the issue you donut.

I have noted that my old GTX 260 has lower idle power than my RX 480 which cannot seem to get below 15W 

This is from looking at the CPUID hardware monitor tool which shows my card at idle still uses a fixed 15W. My HD 7870 was able to get down to 1W but I am not sure if the design of my card is set this way or what?

0 Likes

And where are those videos ? Can we see it ?

Also, watch your language.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

With all due respect with quotes like ''Just like your thread'' and ''perhaps you are not actually serious'' then what do you expect?

Change your attitude on this thread and I will watch my language.

Yes I will link you some raw videos to download if you wish.

You can clearly see the core downclocking to 250mhz and reducing the FPS. Its a complete mess.

Once you see the videos you will understand, we are on the same side are we not?

I'm just answering to your own comments, perhaps you should indeed watch your language, not because i tell you to, but because there are rules to follow.

Also i'm not sure why you are talking about downclocking, isn't your thread about the crashes ?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry for the comment.

The next few comments on the thread describe the downclocking, I will edit the thread and link the video with the powerplay issue.

You can clearly see in the video, the core MHz downclocks so extreme that it drops under 60FPS as the core fluctuates. Its a mess.

Same game, same settings, FuryX was SOLID60FPS

Here is the link to the video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivo4iqjbjogge8j/Powerplay%20Issue.rar?dl=0

Please watch the video and reply back with any theory as to disable the powerplay downclocking the core mhz.

Thanks again.

Batman Arkham Asylum saturates my R5 2400G as well as my RX 480, same uses Denuvo so this game is brutal to play at 3840x2160

The gameplay has batman jumping around like Tarzan from building to building and jumping back down to the street etc

0 Likes

AMD did not answered me yet, I'm trying a second time (in vain). Since our request is the same with opposite objectives, If you could mention to AMD about people with RX480 that want that optional feature back I would appreciate it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This is the reply from AMD,

Thank you for your email.

I understand that you willing to have  power efficiency option back.

We take our customers’ problems seriously and are glad to hear from you.

As I can see that you have raised same query in AMD community also I will take your response as feedback and forward to the relevant team with in AMD for further consideration.

https://community.amd.com/thread/247970  

Thanks for contacting AMD. 

That's indeed pretty extreme, i've never seen anything like this.

I don't get something, do you think the downclocking issue the cause of the black screens or you are just talking about it separately ?

You believe downclocking is caused by Power Efficiency setting, is this correct ? Should that be ON or OFF for it to produce this problem ?

Power Efficiency (from my testing, on the cards that have the setting, i used an R9 280X) is off by default, do you know if it's the same for the newer cards that doesn't show ?

If the newer cards including the VII doesn't support Power Efficiency / was removed, then it would be equal to the setting set to OFF on the other cards, right ?

I'm currently using a Vega 64 and i've been getting those black screens for years but i never had downclocking issues though, in fact i even tried locking both the core and hbm memory and that still resulted in black screens.

By the way, Power Efficiency (or at least the switch) was also removed from 2020 drivers on cards that supported it, it seems (or perhaps moved it somewhere else in Radeon Settings.)

Now that i think about it, this looks similar to the behavior i had with a crossfire of R9 Furys

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the blackscreen issue is caused by the powerplay voltage fluctuation, it simply doesn't know what its doing.

Never seen a FuryX blackscreen with the power efficiency disabled. Why did AMD remove the setting for the Vega and VII? Its beyond idiotic. 

This is what I have to deal with right now, its a joke. Absolute mess.

AMD didn't test ****

The media hates them right now, who actually recommends an AMD GPU right now?

This black screen issue has occurred for years since the Vega, well I didn't know this seeing as we had the FuryX until the VII, then all hell broke loose.

If I owned a vega back then, I would have noticed the missing Power Efficiency years ago. We could have fixed this.

Its beyond proof that they simply don't care.

We paid 660GBP for this utter lag, cannot keep 60FPS on a 2005 game, cant see the edges of my display because it locks to 30FPS.

What a bunch of donuts.

AMD gets no gratitude from me, bad AMD.

john007 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the blackscreen issue is caused by the powerplay voltage fluctuation, it simply doesn't know what its doing.

Never seen a FuryX blackscreen with the power efficiency disabled. Why did AMD remove the setting for the Vega and VII? Its beyond idiotic. 

This is what I have to deal with right now, its a joke. Absolute mess.

AMD didn't test ****

The media hates them right now, who actually recommends an AMD GPU right now?

This black screen issue has occurred for years since the Vega, well I didn't know this seeing as we had the FuryX until the VII, then all hell broke loose.

If I owned a vega back then, I would have noticed the missing Power Efficiency years ago. We could have fixed this.

Its beyond proof that they simply don't care.

We paid 660GBP for this utter lag, cannot keep 60FPS on a 2005 game, cant see the edges of my display because it locks to 30FPS.

What a bunch of donuts.

AMD gets no gratitude from me, bad AMD.

What game cannot achieve 60 fps?

I play at 3840x2160 so my RX 480 has its work cut out for it.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please download the RAW video showcasing the issue, you can now see what I have to deal with.

Links on the thread.

Thanks again.

I have it and it suggests CPU/RAM bandwidth issues

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be so silly, its the same system as the FuryX.

Same system, FuryX, SOLID 60FPS, so with all due respect don't blame my system.

0 Likes

Not sure what is up with the Radeon VII

The card uses GCN 5 Vega logic so it should be as stable as the Vega 56 and Vega 64 cards which are not seen much as miners have them all

All I know is the RAM I have was chosen to match AMD processors so that performance would be relatively good.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know exactly whats up with the VII.

Take my 2015 thread for example, the FuryX on release date with no 'Power Efficiency' option had the same issue, read my thread please.

https://community.amd.com/thread/193069

AMD then updated the driver with the 'Power Efficiency' option for the FuryX, this fixed the downclocking and all the issues regarding stuttering/lag.

Its as simple as this, the VII demands the 'Power Efficiency' option be disabled to fix the issues.

0 Likes

I disliked the Fury as it has a attached cooling fan.

I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 which has air flow the way I like it;                   s

So My RX 480 has dual fans which seem to be very effective. Not as much experience with 3  fan offerings.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The standard Fury yes, but the FuryX had an AIO which the gen2 version was awesome.

I should have watercooled the VII by now AMD, stop pissing about now, give us back our 'Power Efficiency' 

0 Likes

My old HD 6970 came with a blower that howled. The person before me installed an Arctic 3-fan cooler. That is how it came to me and I liked the cooler which was very effective. Gavel came down at $50 as nobody would touch an ex mining card so I had the flagship card for less than the cooler cost.

I replaced that card with the HD 7870 which was the first of the GCN cards. Now the card is the RX 480 with way more VRAM.

I have always played games on their higher settings unless the game is too demanding. Batman Arkham Asylum is very demanding at 4K.

0 Likes

I don't know what is happening, but Gears 5 constantly crashes if my system has been on more than an hour. Typing this right after a crash... My radeon 7 never had this problem until the new Adrenalin version, which was introduced, for me, with 19.12.2. After that has been crashing, crashing, crashing. it crashed on Steam startup, it crashed on Cod Infinite startup, and it crashed on idle. But it definitely crashes during Gears 5.......... I am so frustrated........ I can't even install the 19.11.3 because it automatically installs their latest drives...... PLEASE FIX IT ALREADY! How do they go backwards in driver stability, i don't know!!!

0 Likes

engineer_h4rr7 wrote:

I don't know what is happening, but Gears 5 constantly crashes if my system has been on more than an hour. Typing this right after a crash... My radeon 7 never had this problem until the new Adrenalin version, which was introduced, for me, with 19.12.2. After that has been crashing, crashing, crashing. it crashed on Steam startup, it crashed on Cod Infinite startup, and it crashed on idle. But it definitely crashes during Gears 5.......... I am so frustrated........ I can't even install the 19.11.3 because it automatically installs their latest drives...... PLEASE FIX IT ALREADY! How do they go backwards in driver stability, i don't know!!!

Gears 4 was horrible for bugs and Gears 5 is giving it a good run for the money.

0 Likes
gaav
Adept II

I had hd 7870 xt... 100% gpu usage in overwatch 170-240fps (100% gpu usage all the time) upgraded to rx 5600 xt pulse. Now i have 140-200fps with avg. fps of 146fps !!! lower then on a 10$ card

0 Likes

gaav wrote:

I had hd 7870 xt... 100% gpu usage in overwatch 170-240fps (100% gpu usage all the time) upgraded to rx 5600 xt pulse. Now i have 140-200fps with avg. fps of 146fps !!! lower then on a 10$ card

I am playing the beta of Halo: CE at 4K with a RX 480 so I know full well how hard my card works for gaming.

0 Likes
gaav
Adept II

im just gonna refund the rx 5600 xt and go back to rtx 2060 super. screw this unplayable mess.

gaav wrote:

im just gonna refund the rx 5600 xt and go back to rtx 2060 super. screw this unplayable mess.

I am on a fresh install of Windows and my RX 480 is working so I am playing Halo while it is working

0 Likes

Ye im going to put my hd 7870 xt back in at least i have 180fps+... wait for rtx 2060 super to ship and bye bye amd. If they dont fix this in 14days i can return it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I sent another email to AMD regarding any updates.

They replied back stating they take this issue very seriously, the AMD driver team have taken this into consideration and are working on the power efficiency but cannot provide a timeframe for the update.

They said the same back in 2015 with the FuryX and the AMD team did actually fix the issue in the end.

Somebody has lit a fire under AMD's a**, lets see how good the next update is shall we? Lets hope.

Crysis 1 coop mod with raytracing is round the corner, I do not want to see any 300MHZ downclock in Crysis.

I have not played Crysis for some time now. I have the game in the Origin loader, but the 32-bit version does not work. No way to change the loader to play the 64-bit version that does work fine. I have to launch the game via explorer to be able to play it.

Been play testing Halo: MCC in Steam where Halo:CE is in a closed beta for testing.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great you can even play a game, the VII is a load of crap right now, where is this update AMD?

0 Likes