cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zelda412
Adept II

When will the RX 580 driver support end?

I bought a RX 580 8 GB OC edition from Asus in 2018 and I know that the RX 500 series released in 2017.

The question is when will my graphics card driver support end ? Because I don't want to replace it by an another one until 2024 or even 2025.

My PC (Desktop System) :

• OS : Windows 10 October 2018 update (1809 - OS build 17763.1192)
  • Motherboard : GIGABYTE Z370 HD3P version 1.0 - BIOS version F14a
  • CPU : Intel core i5 8600K 3.60 Mghz (Coffee Lake - 8th Generation)
  • Graphic Card : Asus ROG Strix AMD RX 580 8 GB OC version
  • PSU : FSP S Raider 750W - 80+ Silver
  • Memory : DDR4 Corsair LPX vengeance 16 GB - 2100Mhz : 4 slots of 4 GB
  • Driver version installed : AMD Radeon Adrenalin software 20.4.1
  • Display : Acer XV272P "27 - connected to my PC with DisplayPort with a refresh mode set at 144 Mhz
  • Case : Be Quiet Base 600 - black edition
0 Likes
17 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

AMD still provides support for HD 7000 series GPUs that were released in 2012.

0 Likes

Yet again you are wrong, Windows 1809 is supported until November 2020.

zelda412‌ Nobody knows how long they will be supported, although the term "support" has a couple of different meanings. If you mean, "How long will the RX 580 continue to receive performance and feature updates", then quite likely not much longer, since if you look at the release notes mostly everything since the RX 5000 series was released is focused on them. Vega users experienced this as well despite having much more expensive cards. AMD is also set to release their first ray tracing capable cards later this year, so their resources are going to be heavily focused on those.

If you mean, "How long will the RX 580 continue to receive new driver packages", then likely for at least two more years. The HD 7000 series through the R300/Fury series will be the next batch to be moved to legacy support.

There is precedent, however, that cards not even out of warranty have been moved to legacy support, namely the HD 6000 series, because they were not DirectX 12 capable. A similar thing may be about to happen as DirectX is about to receive its largest update in years, DirectX 12 Ultimate, which will have features only supported by the next generation of cards coming later this year, RDNA2, but again if a card doesn't receive any updates, is it really supported?

run windows update

refusing to update windows invites security lapses

0 Likes

Windows 10 1809 will receive security updates until November 2020. Your responses have nothing to do with the OP's question.

zelda412
Adept II

Okay, I get it. Thank you for your responses.

Now I ask you an another question: If my RX 580 has definitely no more updates from AMD and switch to the legacy package driver, can I still use it for my current games and update my Windows 10 (major updates) or not at all ?

0 Likes

Legacy drivers do not contain the required DirectX, OpenGL and Vulkan driver API files. The answer to your question is no. If you fall into such a situation, your graphics card will already have bad performance for current games. You probably will not use it, anyway... If you will use it, you can try it with the old OS and an old display driver.

0 Likes

You have years before support for the RX580 stops...I would not worry about it now. Especially since I just bought one....

zelda412
Adept II

mstfbsrn980‌ I have doubts about this, but right now it's clear, thanks for your fast response.

Sadly, it means that I have to change the graphic cards when my RX 580 is done (lagecy mode by AMD) and if it happens so quick, then I have to act.

I realize now why this is the very bad point of a PC. Especially with Windows 10 since it's a OS As a Service, so when my RX 580 has no more support, I have no longer the possibility to update my PC.

0 Likes

RX 580 will have driver support for a long time. If AMD will support it, your GPU may even have ray tracing. ASUS RX 580 is a good GPU for 1080p entry level gameplay. However, your processor remains a bit high. Half of your processor will probably sleep in most games with it.

mstfbsrn980 wrote:

RX 580 will have driver support for a long time. If AMD will support it, your GPU may even have ray tracing. ASUS RX 580 is a good GPU for 1080p entry level gameplay. However, your processor remains a bit high. Half of your processor will probably sleep in most games with it.

The Crytek raytracing demo and other DXR demo are pretty slow on the Polaris cards.

The original demo used a Vega 56 wich is substantially more powerful

0 Likes

Yeah. I haven't tested it with my RX 480, but it probably is. I try to give a correct answer to the question OP has.

mstfbsrn980‌ Okay, I'll be waiting for your feedback !

0 Likes

kingfish‌ I hope so, thanks for mentionning it.

mstfbsrn980‌ "However, your processor remains a bit high. Half of your processor will probably sleep in most games with it" => Speaking of which, I don't know if it's true but according to the pc-builds.com website, the result of the bottleneck with i5 8600K + RX 580 is a surprise : https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-8600K/Radeon_RX_580/0O00Ygf2/16/ 

While if I get RX 5500 XT with my current cpu (i5 8600K), it's quitely an another story, even if it's lightly the RX 580-like : https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-8600K/Radeon_RX_5500_XT/0O015kf2/16/ 

How about get the new RX 5500 XT from Asus (for example) in the end ?

0 Likes

zelda412 wrote:

mstfbsrn980  Especially with Windows 10 since it's a OS As a Service, so when my RX 580 has no more support, I have no longer the possibility to update my PC.

Windows update does not depend on the graphics drivers or the graphics card. You will just have graphics drivers that are out of date...and probably work fine. Don't worry...be happy

kingfish a écrit:

zelda412 wrote:

mstfbsrn980  Especially with Windows 10 since it's a OS As a Service, so when my RX 580 has no more support, I have no longer the possibility to update my PC.

Windows update does not depend on the graphics drivers or the graphics card. You will just have graphics drivers that are out of date...and probably work fine. Don't worry...be happy

Then why there is always a driver update which optimize the graphics card when Microsoft deploy a major Update (Spring or Fall in a same year)? There is certainly a reason.

0 Likes

This is because of changes on DirectX. Windows 10 doesn't just offer a gaming platform. It aims to ensure recording and streaming of DX games without any other program. And I do not want to comment on the reason. I can be misleading. Win10 tries to open even DX9 games with a fake fullscreen window and requires a driver update. For similar reason.