cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

When is AMD going to support MultiGPU Pairing options and put DX11 Crossfire Profile selection back into Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI?

When is AMD going to support MultiGPU Pairing options and put DX11 Crossfire Profile selection back into Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI?

It is a simple enough question.

Right now I am having to install Hybrid Drivers with Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI plus Adrenalin 20.8.3 Drivers to allow me to select:

(A). Which GPUs I want to pair up.
(B). To select DX11 CrossFire Profiles I want to use.

It might be a good idea if you can at least stop turning CrossFire on immediately when the driver is installed.

It might also be a good idea if your Driver Software could be fixed so it actually detects and reports the correct PCIe bus widths and speeds, because right now it is getting that wrong, and that information is important w.r.t. CrossFire.

On another note,

I am able to install and run more GPUs from one PC using the Older Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI.
I get Driver Stack Overflow BSODs using the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.

Sick to death of your Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.
Other things - you dropped FRTC, and you cannot turn off the Game Advisor FPS monitor which reports nonsense anyhow because there is no user control.

14 Replies

Your MultiGPU "support" is broken in Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1 and all prior versions of that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.

PC with Primary RX5700XT driving via DisplayPort., Two RX Vega, one connected to HDMI, and an RX590 attached.

Explain this one - there is a crossfire option on the Menu for the RX5700XT.
pastedImage_1.png
RX590:

pastedImage_2.png
Vega GPU - NO Crossfire Option.
pastedImage_3.png
Second Vega GPU - No Crossfire Option.
pastedImage_4.png

If I swap the Primary display to the output of the RX Vega  on HDMI, I then see the Crossfire option under the correct menu - the RX Vega

pastedImage_1.png

If crossfire is turned on, and I have the RX Vega running the HDMI output as primary display , and I turn crossfire off, it will not disengage.
The screen goes black.
The PC reboots, and on restart, crossfire is still enabled.

The only way to disengage Crossfire with Adrenalin 2020 20.19.1 GUI/UI is as follows.

(1). Set the RX 5700XT as the Primary Display
(2). Power down the PC.

(3). Move the PC to get access to the HDMI cable and remove the HDMI Connector from the Primary RX Vega.
(4). Boot into Windows 10, it seems not to like the fact that the HDMI connector has been removed, it is likely disengaging crossfire and then the PC Reboots.
(5). On reboot Crossfire is disengaged.

Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + 20.9.1 drivers  can disengage Crossfire without having to physically disconnect the HDMI cable.
Some times just turning Crossfire off for the RX Vega cards will disengage it.
Sometimes I have to use a restart trick to turn Crossfire off in Adrenalin 2019 GUI/UI.
I  disengage Crossfire in Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and immediately select restart menu on the PC and on reboot Crossfire is disengaged.

That trick does not work on Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI. 
Turning that Crossfire button off, either on the RX5700XT Menu or on the Vega menu (where it should be) black screens the PC and reboots, and Crossfire does not disengage.

Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is broken.

Earnhardt
Grandmaster

Having used Crossfire for many years until March of 2019,Crossfire only works with 2 cards the same:

Radeon™ RX 500 Series, Radeon RX 400 Series, and Radeon R9 and R7 300 Series GPUs must belong to the same family model number. E.g. 2 x AMD Radeon RX 580 or 2 x AMD Radeon R9 390. 

NOTE! Radeon™ R9 and R7 200 Series and Radeon™ HD 7000 Series may require an AMD CrossFire™ bridge to be connected to each GPU. Please consult the manufacturer of the GPU for more information.

NOTE! Radeon™ VII and Radeon™ RX 5000 Series graphics do not support AMD CrossFire™

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-018 

Also last I read,Crossfire and SLI are pretty much done now.

0 Likes

Yes I know you can only pair 2 GPUs of the same type.
That does not mean you cannot have 3 GPUs of the same type and select which two to pair (in Adrenalin 2019 GUI/UI with 2020.9.1 drivers I can do that)
It does not mean you cannot have a mix of GPUs on the system in addition to those for Crossfire. 

Older drivers support 4 or 3 GPUs of the same type in DX11 Crossfire.

RE: Also last I read,Crossfire and SLI are pretty much done now.

Yes DX11 Crossfire for new games is not supported but that does not mean the drivers should be complete tripe and not pair GPUs properly or not allow the user to select which 2 to pair.
That does not mean that  DX11 Crossfire Profile selection  should have been removed from the drivers.

DX12 MultiGPU is not dead, and you need to be able to select which pair for that as well.

The Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is useless for MultiGPU, and leaves people with older DX11 Crossfire set ups in the dumpster.

0 Likes

The GPUs do not need to be exactly the same model.
The following can run in DX11 Crossfire.
R9 Fury X in Crossfire with R9 Nano or R9 Fury.
HD7970 with an R9 280X.
I can Crossfire an RX Vega 64 Liquid with a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56.

0 Likes

Yep.That's what it said above.Same series only 5000.500 etc,I ran Crossfire on every series since the 3000 series,and loved it,the problem now is single cards are extremely powerful and dual cards really aren't needed anymore.Times are changing,

Franken-CrossFire: Radeon RX 5600 XT Joins Radeon RX 5700 | Tom's Hardware 

AMD RX 5700 and RX 5600 XT multi-GPU setup boosts frame-rates by over 60% – but there’s a catch | Te... 

0 Likes

Still no excuse for useless/broken Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI for DX11 Crossfire / DX12 MultiGPU.

You are correct it really doesn't matter if crossfire is worthwhile in 2020 or not. It should still be available as option in the drivers as long as AMD claims support and they have not ended support as far as I know on any of the cards that once supported it. 

Unfortunately as far as gaming goes even many games that once supported crossfire/sli have had updates that break that support. For the most part the DX11 tech is dead and DX 12 multi-gpu is stillborn. It seems that nobody wants to support it for the less than 1% of gamers that will use it. 

AMD should however either officially claim the end of support or at least allow the interface to properly pair the cards if they claim they still support it. 

With NVidia having just announced the end and AMD has not given it much attention for 3 years now, I would be shocked if official end of support isn't coming soon for Crossfire. 

Now Multi-GPU is a feature of DX12 and if game developers game and engine supports it, it may live on. Unfortunately very few games have done this and I believe it still adds latency. So realistically only serious gamers would pay to do this and the latency in this day and age would be a deal killer for them. 

0 Likes

Multiple GPUs on PC can be used for Blender / Compute.
When AMD drivers are installed, they are putting a couple of GPUs into Crossfire and I cannot turn it off with that Adrenalin 2020 Driver w/o BSOD.
You may also want to drive separate displays of separate GPUs.

That is another reason I am bored with the implementation in the Driver.

RE: Unfortunately as far as gaming goes even many games that once supported crossfire/sli have had updates that break that support.
I know of one game where that is the case, BF1.

0 Likes

Okay? I get all that and didn't refute any of that. I was just stating with you that they should fix what they are supposed to support. 

You must have missed my first 2 sentences where I said " You are correct it really doesn't matter if crossfire is worthwhile in 2020 or not. It should still be available as option in the drivers as long as AMD claims support and they have not ended support as far as I know on any of the cards that once supported it. "

I am fully aware that some compute applications can render independently on some some cards while others for instance would need an SLI bridge.

While AMD had eliminated the hardware bridge years ago. I have seen in Steam discussions many complaints of various games where crossfire is no longer working over the past several years. You can find those same complaints in these forums as well. 

0 Likes

Sure no problem.

CDO kicks in sometimes, like OCD but in the correct alphabetical order...

In BF1, DX11 Crossfire is broken but DX12 MultiGPU still works well last time I checked.

DX12 MultiGPU control is usually implemented using the "AMD Crossfire" switch in the driver GUI/UI.

In some cases the switch needs to be on, wheras in others (Ashes of the Singularity) it has to be off, and MultiGPU control is in the game settings menu.

DX12/Vulkan MultiGPU has been implemented in a few games and works well.
It may become more important in the future if multiple GPU chiplets are ever used on die.

0 Likes

Well it is interesting because there was a discussion here well over a year ago. I know it was 2 games that did use multi-gpu and one was AOTS. Can't remember correctly. But for it to work in one game crossfire had to be off in radeon settings while on the other it had to be on. I wish I could remember both games. 

0 Likes

Looks like someone managed to run a pair of RX5700XT in DX11 Crossfire: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X,ASRock X370 Professional Gamin... 

0 Likes