cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Aquacure
Journeyman III

When is AMD going to fix their drivers for VR?

For too long now, the drivers for VR have been broken.
The last good one was 22.2.3.

Example, airlink on Quest 2 is capped at 60Mbps with any driver past 22.2.3.
With 22.2.3 almost reaches the 200Mbps cap for airlink.

You market your GPUs as VR ready, and people pay big money for them, yet you can't be bothered to actually back that claim?
So are we meant to now go with false advertising?
I just don't get why you don't care about keeping your drivers working properly for VR as well??

I've seen other numerous discussions both here and on other forums, with plenty of details and screenshots, and not a peep from anyone from AMD...

I know you also won't care about losing one more customer, but I made the switch from your competitor when I got the Quest 2, because I wanted a high end GPU to wo with it, upgrading from a 1080ti to a 6900XT.
But I have to say, if by the time I'm ready to upgrade my GPU again I still have to use an outdated driver just to play VR, I am going to be going back to the other brand because with them you can keep your drivers up to date and not break your VR games, and you can also play any new games properly with the game ready drivers.
And not to mention the good old "wattman has crashed so your settings have been reset to defaults"... which never happened with the other brand...

Can someone from AMD just acknowledge this problem for once and say why they keep ignoring the encoding issue in VR in drivers since 22.2.3?

6 Replies
dtdman420
Adept II

I am rite here with you.

I also bought a quest 2 and 6900xt from a 1070ti. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!  I will never buy a AMD gpu ever again.

Glad it was not just me having to deal with that stupid wattman reset. Such a waste of money. Plus the things i have been telling people about AMD....They have lost more the a couple customers because of this, and the lack of care and response is sickening.

0 Likes
The_Franks
Journeyman III

I am fed up with this bs. They finally list is as a known issue. No telling when we'll get a fix. They need to fix their encoders. I can't believe I wasted so much money on this pos card, and it can't play a 6 year old VR game. 

Aquacure
Journeyman III

The thing is, there are 2 issues with the drivers for VR.

1. The bitrate cap to 60Mbps, which last worked properly in 22.2.3

2. The HVEC encoder which crashes in VirtualDesktop, which last worked properly in 21.10.2.

I hope they are aware of and fix both issues, not just one or the other.

0 Likes
EmilG
Adept III

So then nothing new here? The solution? Go NVIDIA.

0 Likes

I’m not super technical but I read that amd would have fixed their side of the fense. Meta would now need to fix something too…

read this: https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF/issues/364#issuecomment-1440755769 

0 Likes
Wali763
Adept I

Hi.

Im using a 6950XT mostly to play DCS (flight sim) in VR via OpenXR. 22.5 is the only driver I can use for this, since all later drivers, also 23.3 cause occasional flickers. I could use SteamVR for DCS, but that is visually and perf-wise inferior to OpenXR and also reprojection does not work well.

Its really annoying to not get any of the fixes or improvements of newer drivers because Im have to stick with 22.5.

GoogleEarthVR is also a mess unless I use 22.5. But I already posted about that.

Other than that, Im actually quite pleased with the perf of the 6950XT in VR. Halflife Alyx runs fine and also AssettoCorsa. But I also prefer the OpenXR-version of that since visually its much better. Havent tested though, if a newer driver than 22.5 also causes flickers with OpenXR in AC like it does in DCS.

I actually planned to go for a 7900XTX, but since reports on its poor VR-perf and also too high prices made me reconsider this, I got the 6950XT. Also since the 4080 is in my area (Austria/Germany) only marginally more expensive but VR-wise much better, the 7900XTX would have been no choice for me.

Right now Im quite "tired" of testing different drivers and uninstalling them again. Had to also disable Windows from updating the driver automatically.