cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ari_580
Journeyman III

When I plug in HDMI for audio my monitor/tv goes black

I am experiencing a unique problem. I've been researching this for the past 2-3 days and haven't found any answers yet.

I recently purchased a Dolby Atmos system, and I'm trying to connect it to my PC, which is connected to my TV.

The problem is that there are two HDMI ports on my RX 580; one is being used for video to TV and whenever I plug in the HDMI for audio the screen goes black in a second.

Even when I unplug the HDMI for audio, the display doesn't come back. This forced me to restart my PC many times and I noticed that the PC doesn't really restart when the HDMI audio is plugged in (or if it does I can't see anything, not even the BIOS start up logo).

I used DDU to delete everything, and reinstall the latest drivers (adrenalin ed. 18.11.2). When I uninstalled the drivers, I was able to have  both HDMIs plugged in without any video issues (sound didn't work). When I installed the drivers, the same issue started occurring again.

Additionally, yesterday while I was reinstalling the drivers I had the both HDMIs working properly for an hour or so. I'm not sure if it's related or not, but when things were working there was a warning icon next to " AMD PSP 3.0 device" in device manager. When I updated the drivers for AMD PSP 3.0 to get rid of the warning icon, the black screen issue came back again. Since then, I've tried disabling it or uninstalling it but nothing worked.

As an interim solution, I'm using Lav audio decoder to bitstream the audio through the HDMI connected to my TV. This works in theory because the TV can also bitstream to the soundbar. However, the supported formats visible to my PC is more limited than if I had an HDMI cable plugged directly to my soundbar.

Can you provide some guidance so that I can have two HDMIs plugged into my RX 580 and use one with the TV and the other with the Soundbar for Dolby Atmos?

Computer Type: Desktop CyberPower : link for reference

GPU: AMD RX 580 4GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

Motherboard: Bazooka 350M

RAM: 4 x GeIL EVO POTENZA 4GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4

PSU:  450 Watt 80+ Bronze certified EVGA PSU

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 home - Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin ed. 18.11.2

Chipset Drivers: 10.0.17134.1

0 Likes
0 Replies