Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

When AMD will fix UVD bug?

Jump to solution

Seriously I am really tired to write to support every few days and explain the same problem all over again. So i asking here maybe finally will get an answer. When you guys fix this bug? I really want my GPU work as intended, but at the moment memory clock stuck at 1400Mhz GPU clock at 450 and also while gaming it won't go higher than 1000Mhz. So please fix this ASAP I dont wont to go Green but also I don't want to have bad drivers. Nvidia lately had problem too with clocks I know, but they fix it immediately. This bug is for long time I see on many forums people complain about it and what you doing guys? Fixing some flickering in CSGO. Here is screenshot,  GPU in idle mode... This bug is related to hardware acc I notice that after watching some videos or pictures on Twitter also it may happen when game is played in windowed mode.

Pardon My English.

My pc specs:

Windows 10 x64

MSI 970 Gaming

FX 8320

R9 270x Oc Asus

8Gb Ram

Be quiet 600W

Never had this issue before it started few updates ago. Come on guys, why I should turn off something to make bad driver work? Is AMD problem, and they should fix it, not me.

Wiadomość była edytowana przez: G P Edit 22/11/16 PC Specs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: When AMD will fix UVD bug?

Jump to solution

All, i've been stumped by this UVD clock state issue for a long time, and as a result i've continued to stay on 16.7.2 to allow idle clocks and boost clocks. However, today, i discovered how to restore access to all clock states on 18.5.1. I had a program in my task bar called NokiaSuite - yes i'm still kicking a Nokia phone. When running this app, my GPU would only use UVD low and UVD high clock states. Upon closing it my clocks went immediately to idle 300/150. Opening up a 3D application now brings up Boost clocks. I recommend to anyone still experiencing this issue to try looking for applications and killing background software that might be tasking the GPU by stealth like NokiaSuite. What's unclear is what has changed from 16.7.2 to later driver versions that leads to this different clock state behavior in relation to NokiaSuite. FYI, my GPU is an R9 270.

Software i've identified so far that seems to cause undesirable clock state behavior includes:

NokiaSuite v3.8.54 - when loaded in taskbar, the GPU will only utilise UVD clock states.

AMD UVD Decoder (13.3) - video playback with this decoder leaves clocks locked at UVD low (450MHz) after quiting video player. Alternative decoders such as Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and LAV Video Decocer test good, allowing 300/150 after video playback is discontinued.

View solution in original post

37 Replies
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Turn off hardware acceleration in browsers ?

Can't offer much more without INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Turn off H/W is not always a solution if it is low-end CPU platform.

The card still have to works properly on H/W since it should be a part of video card's normal factory function.

I know this bug, it happened on my old HD7850 at 16.7.3(16.7.2 is still fine). But my HD7850 is dead and I can no longer test this issue, so I can not make sure this bug anymore.

If I were OP:

1.Use older drivers that do not have the issue.

2.Keeps reporting to AMD and provide as detail as PC spec.

As for RX400s, My Powercolor RX460 do not have this issue as far as I have tested. So I believe this issue is specific on older AMD GPU with new driver if it still exists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

The same problem, red absolutely akhrenet, don't ispravlt and don't even recognize it a problem, litter for my English.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Didn't bother to write you it? Switch-off of the hardware acceleration doesn't help, offer, what is better?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

UVD a mistake is on 280 280x 380 and older models so it is a concrete failure of AMD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Seems like, everyone know this bug, but no one know how to fix it... I am dissapointed in AMD :-/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

It will never get fixed because AMD does not have people who could possibly manage to use HW acceleration on their GCN 1 cards, imagine then trying to fix it. Last working driver for 1st GCN cards is 16.7.2 from July 9. 20 days later, bug was introduced with 16.7.3. I reported bug several times thru driver and then I gave up.

Now, the only real difference between 1st gen GCN and newer is updated hw encoder and thats it. Everything else on their chips is essentially the same.

Almost 4 months later, this bug is still not in known issues in driver release notes, which is far more important thing than possible flickering in CFX for example.

I hope that these 3 monopolistic US companies will go down one by one. You can buy octa-core phone these days for 160 euros, but decent GPU or 4 core CPU will cost more for PC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

THAT for nonsense, you though understand how many owners of cards with GCN 1.0, they can't but correct it stupidly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

They probably can, but they wont. They obviously did it on purpose. Card will be stuck in UVD clocks as soon as your player/browser/game/app use hw accel, and I had a chance to test 6 cards in 6 different PCs.

Its not a bug, its a feature. Buy new polaris card to remove it because it has updated hw encoder and will draw less power because new GloFo production process can pack 2 times more shaders on same die-size.

To be even worse, AMD employees recommend newer drivers (16.7.3+) to 1st gen GCN owners if they have some issues and not telling them what will these drivers do for something else. That kind of behavior only tells you "do NOT buy anything with AMD sticker on it"

AMD needs to learn that their products will never be better than their support, and currently their support  does not care for users of their products.