cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

brucer
Forerunner

Re: Whats up with these new Fury cards, Video Tdrfailure, Atikmpag.

I'm running an nzxt s340 case with two 140mm intake fans and one 120mm rear exhaust fan and one 140mm top exhaust fan.

0 Likes
xeleron
Miniboss

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I'm seriously thinking of going green...  This has really put a bad taste in my mouth for amd cards.

Also I'm running a 2k monitor right now with future plans of going up to a 34" monitor so I need more than the r9-390x, then you look at the less than stellar driver support we are already experiencing with these new amd cards, I can see no plus in going with a 390x

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I have verified both of my old gpu's, which are an Gigabyte HD6850 and a MSI r9-290 run flawlessly in my new system...

My new system:

I5-6600k@4.4ghz

GigabyteGA-z170x-gaming g5

16gig Gskill ddr4 3000mhz

samsung 850evo m.2

Windows 10

I installed both my old cards exactly the same way I installed the failed Fury and any other gpu I would install, and have pretty much done it this way for the last 10 yrs..

Download CCC, DDU and Latest AMD drivers..

System on with old card installed, I go to ctrl panel--Progams/uninstall program-- highlight AMD install manager--- click uninstall/change---make sure everything is checked and accept to uninstall..  Then I run CCC and DDU, power down the system, turn the psu switch to off and unplug.. open case, remove old card, insert new card, close up case, plug in psu, turn psu on...  turn system on, after it gets booted up and install latest drivers.

Both old cards installed perfectly..

Now over the years of using AMD cards, Why hasnt AMD made it a default action to remove everything when you UNINSTALL AMD DRIVERS with AMD's uninstall utility, instead of having to use CCC and DDU as an added step, this completely amazes me, this is 2016, not 1995..

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

Now, I have verified both of my old gpu's, which are an Gigabyte HD6850 and a MSI r9-290 run flawlessly in my new system...

My new system:

I5-6600k@4.4ghz

GigabyteGA-z170x-gaming g5

16gig Gskill ddr4 3000mhz

samsung 850evo m.2

Windows 10

I installed both my old cards exactly the same way I installed the failed Fury and any other gpu I would install, and have pretty much done it this way for the last 10 yrs..

Download CCC, DDU and Latest AMD drivers..

System on with old card installed, I go to ctrl panel--Progams/uninstall program-- highlight AMD install manager--- click uninstall/change---make sure everything is checked and accept to uninstall..  power down the system, turn the psu switch to off and unplug.. open case, remove old card, insert new card, close up case, plug in psu, turn psu on...  turn system on, after it gets booted up and install latest drivers.

Then I ran CCC and DDU.

Both old cards installed perfectly..

Now over the years of using AMD cards, Why hasnt AMD made it a default action to remove everything when you UNINSTALL AMD DRIVERS with AMD's uninstall utility, instead of having to use CCC and DDU as an added download/install and program run, this completely amazes me, this is 2016, not 1995.. Why not include it within the default uninstall utility?

I even ran Unigine Valley at default install settings with the hd6850 and r9-290 in both systems, quite a bit of boost in fps between the two, lol...  Actually the fps difference between my I5-6600k@4.4ghz and my FX8350 parked and locked @4.2ghz with the r9-290 was quite a bit..   The I5-6600k saw a 27fps increase between with the fx8350 running with a 1680x1050 monitor and the I5-6600k on a 2560x1080 LG 29um55 uwhd monitor..   That was a fun test..

i5 r9290.JPG

fx8350 r9290.JPG

0 Likes
jokash
Journeyman III

Had blue screens with atikmpag and and atimdag

Flashing the video cards bios solved my problems

Its simple to do:

How to Upgrade Your GPU BIOS - GPUs - Graphics Cards

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

It also voids your warranty if you had one.

You should not have to flash your vbios to fix a new gpu, thats ridiculous, but wouldnt surprise me being its an amd gpu.

0 Likes
leggir
Adept I

For anyone else reading this forum, its surprising that most people have no problems updating the BIOS on a motherboard to 'fix' issues, like the Kaby Lake compatible Z270 I just bought which had 3 BIOS released inside a month. So why not on a GPU?

0 Likes