cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

CloudyZhou
Journeyman III

What's the current support status of AMD Radeon RX 6000M series mobile graphics on Linux?

I am considering purchasing a laptop for psychological experiment. The current recommended environment is Ubuntu 20.04 with AMD GPU. I find that the ASUS ROG Moba 5R (AMD R9 5900HX+ AMD Radeon RX 6800M) might be a good choice, but I still have two questions:

1. The AMD Radeon RX 6000M series graphics card launched at May 31 this year, do they have good driver support on Linux? Our experiment needs to run at 1080p with 240 Hz refresh rate. In our lab we have a desktop with RX 6700XT GPU and it works great, but that's a desktop GPU. The current amdgpu 21.30 diver does not say it support RX 6000M series graphics.

2. Even if the RX 6800M works on linux, the laptop still have a integrated GPU inside the R9 5900HX CPU. I know that dual graphics (specifically Intel + Nvidia GPU) does not work well on Linux, but what about two AMD GPUs? Specifically, during the experiment, I want the laptop to only display at an external screen (1920*1080, 240Hz). The laptop has a USB type-C that supports DisplayPort 1.4a output directly from the discrete GPU, so I guess dual-GPU should not be a problem here, right?

0 Likes
1 Reply
dp27thelight
Journeyman III

No opencl support everything else is fine.

0 Likes