cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

voidseeker
Journeyman III

What's the best way to limit the FPS when using a Freesync monitor?

I recently got a new Monitor which supports Freesync and I'm now using it in conjuction with an RX 570.
Before I switched I had an GTX 960 plugged into a normal 60Hz screen and used RTSS to cap the framerate and achieve a solid frametime. Since I made the switch I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the new features I'm able to use now.

I want to know what's the best way to cap the framerate when using a Freesync setup. It seems that this question is highly debated. There is the Ingame Limiter, RTSS, FRTC and Chill. The Ingame Limiter seems the most straight forward.Capping it slightly below the max Freesync range which in my case is 75Hz. RTSS and FRTC both seem to add additional input lag compared to the Ingame Limiter. And then there is Chill which is an power-saving tool. I don't know if I should use it as an FPS Limiter (Min FPS = Max FPS) or if I should just put in the Freesync range of my monitor (40-75Hz). Some guy from AMD named Robert advices to just use Vsync. But doesn't Vsync negate Freesync?

With so many options availabe I'm more than confused on what to use. I wish AMD would clear things up.

2 Replies

0 Likes
alex_b
Adept II

Chill is a very controversial technology.....
Freesync, makes sense only if the monitor refresh rate is higher than the frame rate in the game.
VSync works well but... directly affects the responsiveness in the game. Perhaps a more suitable option for single player games.
The best way to limit the frame rate is an option in the game, if available. Other external software solutions will be the same in their work, in limiting the frame rate. But Freesync is still not perfect. Let's just say "capricious." May not always work under certain conditions.
RTSS is the easiest way to limit. Works good. But you can also use RadeonSettings to limit frame rates. But this software is heavier.

0 Likes