cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

blackmaninc
Adept II

What happened to Frame Rate Target Control?

Who was the genius that decided this needed to go? This was one of the best features available. Are they planning on bringing it back? They should be, if there is any sense of justice left in the world for the customer. 

19 Replies
levi-san
Adept I

No, it was just a normal frame limiter. You can achieve the same thing with Radeon Chill, which is even better since it won't cause you (as much as FRTC) input lag. If you just want to use it as a frame limiter set both the min FPS and the max FPS to the same value.

0 Likes

You can achieve the same thing with Radeon Chill

Sorry but this is not the case, chill and FRTC work differently.

Chill, won't cause you (as much as FRTC) input lag.

Citation needed.

Unfortunately they removed FRTC from the disastrous 2020 drivers and gave no explanation why. They have been completely silent on the issue. My guess is they don't have a good reason and don't want to draw attention to it by making a statement. So they just silently remove it and hope people eventually forget about it. Real scumbag behavior.

Chill is not a replacement for FRTC. Chill often does not work at all. When it does work, it often doesn't work in menus or turns on and off seemingly at random. FRTC has much more even frame delivery. If you are concerned at all about smooth consistent frame times FRTC is superior. FRTC produces much more fluid and consistent results when recording or streaming. All other framerate limiters result in stuttery output, while FRTC keeps it smooth for the fixed-FPS video recorders.

Chill sucks, and even the UI for it sucks. Those sliders are fiddly, you can't even type in the number you want. And the global setting doesn't even work at all. What a joke. Stop pretending this non-functioning feature can replace a perfectly working one that actually operates differently and better.

You don't have to take my words for it, here's a few comments on YouTube by (one of the) the developer(s) of the technology: FreeSync vs. G-Sync Delay Analysis - YouTube (comment linked, but if it doesn't take you straight there, it's the comment by Eugene Fainstain)

It doesn't work in menus since it only activates when 3D content is being drawn. You can use V-Sync or another FPS limiter above the chill FPS target if you really want to, but 2D content won't really kill your GPU just because it draws more frames. 

0 Likes

Ok so you are conceding that chill doesn't always work and is not a replacement for FRTC. Good.

As for your linked comment, I am not at all surprised that the guy who made chill thinks chill is better. Of course he does, it's his baby. But I would prefer evidence.

Just stop trying to shove chill down our throats, it is not a replacement for FRTC. FRTC actually works. It works in menus, it works in vulkan, it provides much more consistent frame delivery, has better UI, has a global toggle that actually works.

CHILL IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR FRTC

The slider while you can't set exact numbers, you can use the arrow keys to move to the exact numbers.

The only problem I've ever ran into is Chill not activating instantly in some titles utilizing Vulkan API, mainly thinking of RDR2.

Also, AMD made the pro drivers available for nearly all GPUs, which uses the old UI and still has FRTC, so you can grab that if you really want the features back. It's also still using the most recent driver versions, so you're not gonna be behind on updates

0 Likes

Will I still have all the newest features if I have use the pro drivers, like anti-lag, enhanced sync, and radeon boost? 

0 Likes

Not exactly like with 2020. You will gain older drivers that released before 2nd whql adrenaline 2020 with interface from 2019. But you always can replace older libraries by new one to gain fixes and game optimizations.

Gains:

- FRTC

- Antilag

- good old interface with new features

Cons:

- no settings for image sharpening

- optimized only for CAD

- no radeon boost(you can gain it partially by using trixx software)

- need to change atidxx64.dll(atidxx32.dll for 32 bit) to new one from adrenaline 2020 to gain game fixes, for directx games

Same thing about Power Efficiency option for RX480 and others supported, they are playing the mute because it's not an popular feature and **** the few who use it.

@hardtecnica wrote:

Same thing about Power Efficiency option for RX480 and others supported, they are playing the mute because it's not an popular feature and **** the few who use it.

Hi,

It isn't activated by default for RX580 ?
Because the comportement of them looks to be similar to RX480 with the option activated.

Anyway, it's what I observed since I flashed my 480 with a 580 BIOS ... but yeah, they could let the choice to the users to activate or not in any case ... but looks like something usual now ...

0 Likes
felichella
Adept III

Every new AMD driver without FRTC will be reported as missing feature until AMD shows respect for their costumers.

For now while use AMD gpu´s ill be with 2019 adrneline version and if later no response from amd about frtc will buy an Nvidia card. Easy and if more people do the same next time they probably think better before take stupid decisions. 
NO CHILL IS NOT SAME AS FRTC AND WAS NOT CREATED TO THE SAME OBJECTIVE.

Hello
What is the difference between using FRTC and Chill Min = Chill Max as a framerate limiter (besides that Chill doesn't work via global settings which is apparently a bug and should be fixed)?
It's been discovered that Nvidia's fps limiter which was introduced in one of their recent drivers performs identical with limiting framerate by setting Chill Min=Chill Max. AMD's Chill vs. RTSS & In-Engine Limiters / Input Lag Test - YouTube 
If FRTC is giving you superior perfomance it would be great to know what is your secific usecase and what is the advantage. Thank you

0 Likes

Chill often doesn't work at all, especially in menus, no other limiter has this problem.

FRTC has more consistent frame delivery. When recording gameplay with relive or obs, FRTC produces smooth output, other frame limiters produce stuttery output. Same when trying to match framerate with a non-freesync monitor's refresh rate.

They are different technologies that use different methods and behave differently. People like to pretend that Chill is just a better version of FRTC, but it's not the case.

Not sure why you linked that video, all it shows is that Chill has worse input lag than Overwatch's in-game limiter, yet another reason not to use chill. What does that have to do with FRTC.

I came upon this thread when trying to find FRTC in the Radeon driver. I am really annoyed they removed it for no good reason. Extremely stupid decision and it's clear many people agree because there are a million complaints about it. Now just another feature that Nvidia has that AMD doesn't. 

I have written to AMD and Tweeted at them etc about putting FRTC back in. I encourage everyone to use the "Launch Bug Report Tool" in the top right corner of the Radeon software. Tell them you want FRTC back. 

Also, I have a question about Chill. My monitor is a 144Hz monitor. But for some reason when I activate Chill it sets my maximum FPS to 140FPS. Does anyone know why it is doing that? Doesn't make sense to me. Think it might be a software bug?

0 Likes

@riekopo wrote:

I came upon this thread when trying to find FRTC in the Radeon driver. I am really annoyed they removed it for no good reason. Extremely stupid decision and it's clear many people agree because there are a million complaints about it. Now just another feature that Nvidia has that AMD doesn't. 

I have written to AMD and Tweeted at them etc about putting FRTC back in. I encourage everyone to use the "Launch Bug Report Tool" in the top right corner of the Radeon software. Tell them you want FRTC back. 

Also, I have a question about Chill. My monitor is a 144Hz monitor. But for some reason when I activate Chill it sets my maximum FPS to 140FPS. Does anyone know why it is doing that? Doesn't make sense to me. Think it might be a software bug?

A feature AMD had before nVidia, and now don't have. It's even more stupid ...

Chill set by default maximum to 140 for everyone, like FRTC set at 60. Just the default value, but you can change it.
Anyway, it's not obviously a bad thing to keep it to a sligtly lower value as you screen (if you have Freesync), because like it's not lock precisely everytime (and less far than FRTC, when Chill works ...) that avoid to move out from the Freesync range.

But if you want to continue to use FRTC with new UI, you can by modifying some registry :
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
Then, modify this three value like that (in decimal value) :
- KMD_FRTCInitialStatus : 1
- KMDFRTEnabled : 1
- KMD_MaxFrameRateRequested : the amount of FPS you want to limit

That works like Global Setting in practice.

0 Likes
tfninja
Adept I

Chill is bad and I will not move from 19.12.1 until FRTC is back.

With 100hz freesync monitor i set games i can comfortably play faster to 80 FPS and it is constant, lovely and slick.

With the new drivers if I try to lock fps at 80 using min/max chill, it's a stuttery mess.

Besides the lack of existing features, I also hate the new arrangement and ingame overlay.

lhorace
Adept II

Funny thing, I could never get FRTC work in any games that I played. Used Riva Statistics server isntead.

0 Likes

Yeah this Riva Stat Server works like a charm. It maintains a smooth, steady 60 fps in 'Squad'. 

0 Likes

Global FRTC control is back in Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 Driver for RX5700XT -> R9 390X. 
This is great news. 

It works with Radeon Chill do you can set FRTC = 59, Chill min FPS = 30 Chill max "FPS" = 300 and run an RX Vega 64 Liquid on BFV at 4K Ultra with ~ reasonable 59 FPS 4K Experience with Vsync off. 

Now  all Radeon Team need to do is adjust chill behaviour so that you can hit more than 55 FPS with those settings with keyboard only input. 

Please mark this as the correct answer. 

Thanks.

Global FRTC control is back in Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1 Driver for RX5700XT -> R9 390X. 
This is great news. 

It works with Radeon Chill do you can set FRTC = 59, Chill min FPS = 30 Chill max "FPS" = 300 and run an RX Vega 64 Liquid on BFV at 4K Ultra with ~ reasonable 59 FPS 4K Experience with Vsync off. 

Now  all Radeon Team need to do is adjust chill behaviour so that you can hit more than 55 FPS with those settings with keyboard only input. 

Please mark this as the correct answer. 

Thanks.