cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rageoholic
Journeyman III

Weird persistent driver timeouts

So sometimes when I wake my machine up from sleep I end up getting a driver timeout. After said timeout, playing Hollow Knight will eventually cause another driver timeout, the hollow knight window will go black, and other apps will lose graphical resources (e.g. firefox playing youtube videos). Additionally, relaunching Hollow Knight will then consistently black screen although certain other games seem to run fine? (Tested by booting up and running around a bit in Digimon: Cyber Sleuth) A reset fixes the problem which makes me think it's somewhere in the driver not handling sleep properly and then certain apps tickling parts of the driver that rely on improperly restored state. I've submitted a crash report to AMD but I was wondering if anyone here knew a fix. Running an RX 580 with 8192 MB and a Ryzen 7 3700X with 32 gigs of RAM, I ran a RAM test and it seemed good

0 Likes
1 Reply
Booosh
Journeyman III

I'm getting these, as well. They began recently after I upgraded my drivers to 21.4.1.

At the end of the day, I'll put the computer to sleep. When I wake it in the morning, I'll be greeted with the AMD Bug Report Tool and a message that says it "detected a driver timeout issue." Event Viewer reports "display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

The computer functions normally and there are no artifacts in stress tests and no in-game crashes. It only happens upon waking from sleep.

I used DDU to uninstall the 21.4.1 driver and reinstalled 21.3.1 which was rock solid for months and months. Now the problem is occurring with 21.3.1. This makes me wonder if a Windows update has introduced a bug and that the AMD drivers are triggering it.

Anyone know if this is a "known issue" with AMD?

System details: i5-8400, 32GB RAM, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 SE (8GB)