cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zash
Adept I

WattMan profile resetting / loading

My WattMan profiles keeps resetting on reboot. It does not matter what settings I change, It always reverts back to default. For e.g. undervolting of high GPU P-states, like -50mV for the states 4-7 on a RX580. The profile runs perfectly stable, I tested it thoroughly.

Tested up to AMD Radeon v19.4.1.

Is there any other way to load the profile from the saved xml file besides loading via the menu button, like from the command line? It is really annoying to go through the menu every time to reload the profile.

Additionally switching between (global) profiles would also be much easier via something like a command line interface.

1 Solution
zash
Adept I

I found a solution / workaround for the resetting:

0 RPM only

(@lowenz maybe?)
Saving a profile, opening the resulting xml file and changing the following lines: (source)

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="False">

and change it to

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="True">

to enable 0 RPM with custom fan curve.

General workaround

For profile resets and problems with the fan curve: OverdriveNTool
This tool uses the (native) AMD OverdriveN API to save the settings, including fan states without restriction (my ASUS STRIX RX580 has a false minimum fan speed of 40% in WattMan, which is way too high).
It does not run in background and does not need admin rights!
Although it also resets after reboot / standby, it can be used via command line, which gives us an easy solution via Task Scheduler, trigger on login and resume from sleep:

1. Save a profile in the OverdriveNTool: New, enter profile name (used below), set settings, Save, Apply.
  2. Open Task Scheduler: Start Menu, enter "tasks" or (WIN+R and) "taskschd.msc"
  3. Use either the xml file below via Import Task

or create it manually via (Action /) Create Task...
  4. Enter a name, like "OverdriveNTool"
  5. Trigger / New:
    1. Begin the task: At log on
      Check Enabled
      OK
    2. Begin the task: On an event
      Log: System
      Source: Power-Troubleshooter
      Event ID: 1
  6. Action / New:
    Start a program
    Browse: (enter path to) OverdriveNTool.exe
    Add arguments: -r0 -p0"profile name"     (reset settings, load profile)
    Start in: copy path from above (for the folder, except for OverdriveNTool.exe)

xml file for import: replace PATH and PROFILE in OverdriveNTool.xml
In Task Scheduler, select Import Task... from the right sidebar or right click menu.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2019-09-09T20:47:43.6572512</Date>
    <URI>\OverdriveNTool</URI>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <EventTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="System"&gt;&lt;Select Path="System"&gt;*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and EventID=1]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
    </EventTrigger>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>PATH\OverdriveNTool.exe</Command>
      <Arguments>-r0 -p0"PROFILE"</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>PATH</WorkingDirectory>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>