cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zash
Adept I

WattMan profile resetting / loading

My WattMan profiles keeps resetting on reboot. It does not matter what settings I change, It always reverts back to default. For e.g. undervolting of high GPU P-states, like -50mV for the states 4-7 on a RX580. The profile runs perfectly stable, I tested it thoroughly.

Tested up to AMD Radeon v19.4.1.

Is there any other way to load the profile from the saved xml file besides loading via the menu button, like from the command line? It is really annoying to go through the menu every time to reload the profile.

Additionally switching between (global) profiles would also be much easier via something like a command line interface.

1 Solution
zash
Adept I

I found a solution / workaround for the resetting:

0 RPM only

(@lowenz maybe?)
Saving a profile, opening the resulting xml file and changing the following lines: (source)

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="False">

and change it to

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="True">

to enable 0 RPM with custom fan curve.

General workaround

For profile resets and problems with the fan curve: OverdriveNTool
This tool uses the (native) AMD OverdriveN API to save the settings, including fan states without restriction (my ASUS STRIX RX580 has a false minimum fan speed of 40% in WattMan, which is way too high).
It does not run in background and does not need admin rights!
Although it also resets after reboot / standby, it can be used via command line, which gives us an easy solution via Task Scheduler, trigger on login and resume from sleep:

1. Save a profile in the OverdriveNTool: New, enter profile name (used below), set settings, Save, Apply.
  2. Open Task Scheduler: Start Menu, enter "tasks" or (WIN+R and) "taskschd.msc"
  3. Use either the xml file below via Import Task

or create it manually via (Action /) Create Task...
  4. Enter a name, like "OverdriveNTool"
  5. Trigger / New:
    1. Begin the task: At log on
      Check Enabled
      OK
    2. Begin the task: On an event
      Log: System
      Source: Power-Troubleshooter
      Event ID: 1
  6. Action / New:
    Start a program
    Browse: (enter path to) OverdriveNTool.exe
    Add arguments: -r0 -p0"profile name"     (reset settings, load profile)
    Start in: copy path from above (for the folder, except for OverdriveNTool.exe)

xml file for import: replace PATH and PROFILE in OverdriveNTool.xml
In Task Scheduler, select Import Task... from the right sidebar or right click menu.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2019-09-09T20:47:43.6572512</Date>
    <URI>\OverdriveNTool</URI>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <EventTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="System"&gt;&lt;Select Path="System"&gt;*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and EventID=1]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
    </EventTrigger>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>PATH\OverdriveNTool.exe</Command>
      <Arguments>-r0 -p0"PROFILE"</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>PATH</WorkingDirectory>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Why do you do underVolt ? I have the same gpu and I need set to +50% energy

Undervolting, overclocking, custom fan settings, it does not matter. The settings get reset to default, even when I am not using any other tool besides the AMD driver.

As to why I am undervoltung: because of less heat and silent fans.

I got a ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 580, which can be very silent with the right settings: undervolting and either a temp target of 75°C (instead of 65°C) or a custom fan curve give me an almost not audible GPU, even under stress, with temps around 70°C max.

0 Likes

I have the ASUS DUAL OC RX 580 the I can say that I have any problem with the settings and saved profile in RAdeon Settings even after rebbot  / wake up.

Only bug with my gpu or driver is the second Monitor that after plugged show pink screen but with display settings of Windows or Rebbot solve it.

0 Likes
netquik
Adept II

Same problem here again. I had this problem with previous drivers but version 19.2.2 fixed that.

see https://community.amd.com/thread/236427

Now again with #19.4.1 wattman profile/settings reset after reboot or also suspend/wake up.

Zash maybe you could try revert to 19.2.2 to see if the problem goes away.

0 Likes

For me All settings Keep as I modified : +50% energy , +1.5% clock freq, 1800mhz mem freq that after rebot and wake up Continue the Same

0 Likes

Do fan ZeroRPM and manual fan speeds keep after reboot wakeup?

0 Likes

Yes. Did you try save profile ?

0 Likes

yes. Actually i did some test and i lose settings only when suspend/wakeup.. not on reboot.

0 Likes

Try disabling fast start...like so:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

0 Likes

Fast boot already disabled. Wattman settings (maybe ZeroRPM and fan only) missing on wakeup (fan has 0 RPM while my manual profile set it at 37%)

0 Likes

I have this Problem too. I set Wattman Global Settings to a User-Fan-Curve without zero RPM (so the fan is always on) which works fine for the first System-Start. But after wakeup from energy saving states it shows my settings BUT does have 0 RPM on the fan.

Reload my profile does not solve it: At first I have to reset the settings and than load my profile to get it work. Alternative is while in Alt-R Overlay under Wattmann/Fan turn 0RPM on and off again makes it work at once.

My Radeon Software is 19.4.2

Also while the setup fpr Wattman names Global Settings under games (which autmatically seem to use game-profiles) it will ignore my setting. Is it for real that I have to set up my fan-curve for every single gameprofile?

exactly same problem... actually after wake up i load up wattman turn zeroRPM and save then load my profile 

again...btw it's very annoying. Glad not to be the only one with this issue.

0 Likes

Ok, for this part of my statement I pull it back:

"Also while the setup fpr Wattman names Global Settings under games (which autmatically seem to use game-profiles) it will ignore my setting. Is it for real that I have to set up my fan-curve for every single gameprofile?"

This seems to work meanwhile (watched that one or two Radeon Versions before the last time). The Global Wattman Settings are now in every game profile AND working as intended: So my fan is always on and did not went off while gaming or leaving a game.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

I stopped having this problem once I uninstalled Afterburner. I have fast start disabled too. But it took not using afterburner to stop the resetting. The only thing I afterburner for is the onscreen display. Now I use the amd overlay if I am curious about performance and temps.

unfortunately i don't have Afterburner installed in the system.

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

Same here, sometimes my custom settings get applied at startup, sometimes they don't. 

I know for a fact that if I let windows' shut off the display after x minus of being idle after boot with no log in, that the settings will need to be reapplied. 

I can also, usually, count on the same behavior if I turn off my primary monitor while logged in to windows. 

Lately I have just resorted using radeon chill with a narrow framerate rather than trying to undervolt my vega 64. It just runs too hot and I don't want to rebuild it to replace the pads on the vrms. ( Asus strix oc variant ).

I can, in fact get it stable for testing purposes at the advertised clock for that card. But meh, might be better off without the whirring of 3700 rpms directly behind my monitor.

Have you disabled fast start?

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer 

Note..you must restart your computer for the settings to apply.

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on
0 Likes

Yes. I wouldn't be posting if I had not tried that. And those other things I did when I set windows up to begin with. I know the evils of hibernation. 

Like I said, it seems completely random unless I cause a link state failure, or windows turns the monitor off on me because I've been staring at these forums in frustration for too long. 

lowenz
Adept I

19.9.3 here and 0 RPM keeps resetting to ON every reboot (and re-awake from suspensio too maybe)!

0 Likes
zash
Adept I

I found a solution / workaround for the resetting:

0 RPM only

(@lowenz maybe?)
Saving a profile, opening the resulting xml file and changing the following lines: (source)

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="False">

and change it to

<FEATURE ID="18" Enabled="True">

to enable 0 RPM with custom fan curve.

General workaround

For profile resets and problems with the fan curve: OverdriveNTool
This tool uses the (native) AMD OverdriveN API to save the settings, including fan states without restriction (my ASUS STRIX RX580 has a false minimum fan speed of 40% in WattMan, which is way too high).
It does not run in background and does not need admin rights!
Although it also resets after reboot / standby, it can be used via command line, which gives us an easy solution via Task Scheduler, trigger on login and resume from sleep:

1. Save a profile in the OverdriveNTool: New, enter profile name (used below), set settings, Save, Apply.
  2. Open Task Scheduler: Start Menu, enter "tasks" or (WIN+R and) "taskschd.msc"
  3. Use either the xml file below via Import Task

or create it manually via (Action /) Create Task...
  4. Enter a name, like "OverdriveNTool"
  5. Trigger / New:
    1. Begin the task: At log on
      Check Enabled
      OK
    2. Begin the task: On an event
      Log: System
      Source: Power-Troubleshooter
      Event ID: 1
  6. Action / New:
    Start a program
    Browse: (enter path to) OverdriveNTool.exe
    Add arguments: -r0 -p0"profile name"     (reset settings, load profile)
    Start in: copy path from above (for the folder, except for OverdriveNTool.exe)

xml file for import: replace PATH and PROFILE in OverdriveNTool.xml
In Task Scheduler, select Import Task... from the right sidebar or right click menu.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2019-09-09T20:47:43.6572512</Date>
    <URI>\OverdriveNTool</URI>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <EventTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
      <Subscription>&lt;QueryList&gt;&lt;Query Id="0" Path="System"&gt;&lt;Select Path="System"&gt;*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter'] and EventID=1]]&lt;/Select&gt;&lt;/Query&gt;&lt;/QueryList&gt;</Subscription>
    </EventTrigger>
    <LogonTrigger>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </LogonTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>PATH\OverdriveNTool.exe</Command>
      <Arguments>-r0 -p0"PROFILE"</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>PATH</WorkingDirectory>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>