WattMan, Afterburner and Black Screen

Specs:

Sapphire NITRO R9 390 8GB GDDR5 with backplate running the 17.3.1 driver

i5 6600k

16gb RAM DDR4

Gigabyte z170x-UD3

EVGA Supernova 750 G2

Windows 10 64-bit

I've had problems with black screens since the jump to Crimson when watching and streaming videos of varying quality and codecs, using pretty much any application or playing older games (such as original Doom). It can, however, run fairly modern games without a hitch for a long time(such as Mass Effect 1 up to Battlefield 1). I'm going out on a limb here, but perhaps it has something to do with the 2D drivers.

I found a workaround that solved the problem without being too annoying. It consisted of running MSI Afterburner and having two profiles. One with stock numbers and one for watching videos, using applications and playing older games. It consisted of changing the power limit to +5, downclocking the core to 875 MHz and Memory Clock to 950 MHz.

However, since the ReLive/WattMan update MSI Afterburner does not work anymore. Any changes I do result in a black screen.

I've tried to revert to the last driver I know worked with Afterburner, but I can no longer make changes in Afterburner regardless of driver. The attempts to downgrade has involved: uninstalling MSI Afterburner and drivers (both with and without using DDU) and I've tried the former in combination with removing the card and putting it back in about 4 times.

I've also tried to use WattMan as a substitute for Afterburner, but it wont allow me to change voltage or memory clock, nor does it seem to offer the ability to use two different general profiles.

I would like some help solving the issue of black screens.

0 Likes
8 Replies
viniciuslc
Adept I

Re: WattMan, Afterburner and Black Screen

I was having problem with this drivers on R9 280x, rolled back to 16.9.2 driver resolved for me.

Now i cant say anymore couse my card burned to the end, coincidence or not the card did last 30 minutes after i updated to ver 17.3.1

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

With wattman any 3rd party oc util. conflict for many 390s'.

I have wattman disabled.

It has been mentioned by tech support staff that not all card gens will have full W/man functions due to AIB design/mods.

I do not have to downclock for any application on my 390.

I would also contact Sapphire tech. support re having to downclock.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
miltrivd
Adept I

How did you disable Wattman? I keep hearing about this but I see no way to disable (or avoid installing it in the first place).

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Preferences > Reset factory defaults.

Resets all settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Likes
miltrivd
Adept I

Oh, that doesn't disable it at all tho. Even if you never accepted the "Terms and Conditions" it still works and crashes (for the people with issues). Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Your the first that I know of, where restoring default has not disabled wattman.

max0x7ba
Adept III

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

Wattman is pretty much useless for anyone that doesn't have a 4xx card, its even written so in their own documentation.

I have a 390x and you can't change the memory clock, WattMan is horrible, remove that crap completely and let all other previously fine working utilities manage the clocks, voltages and fan speeds just like they did prior to this mess.

Now I can't OC my card at all.  MSI AB seems to be able to alter voltages but not the clocks.  Sapphire Trixx if loaded causes my GPU memory to be stuck at 150MHz.

Yay............AMD drivers strike again.

I waited 4 months for this, the first Relive caused so much screen corruption I had to plug a monitor onto my motherboard output and use my iGPU to see anything.

Prior to that Crimson nearly melted my GPU by locking the FAN rpm at minimum.

Prior to that I had to wait 3 months to be able to run any DX11 game in Windows10.

I don't know why AMD makes drivers at all, they should seriously outsource.