cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sbstk1
Adept I

Vulkan without radeon software

I have R7 260x XFX 1gb edition. Not the best gpu, but uni fees and just surviving has its toll on my gaming.

My main game is Dota 2 and recently with this gpu i had some clock drops, but I just got used to it.

Until one day in dota my fps droped after some time playing .Other games work fine, dota dosent. I try reinstalling drivers, monitor my performance all kinds of stuff, and in the end I had to switch to my older (yea, i got one thats older) gpu.

Few days ago I tried R7 once again but this time I did not download drivers from web, but in win10 devmgmt I pressed auto update.

And my GPU works better than ever.

I only have one problem. Recently I got No Mans Sky, and I cannot play it because I get this error :

Vulkan Initalization Failure

Unable to initalize Vulkan (vkEnumerateInstanceExtensionPropertiesfailed.) You may not have a Vulkan driver installed, or an old driver on your machine may be corrupted.

I am not gonna install drivers from web again, as it causes problems.

0 Likes
1 Solution

According to AMD Vulkan API was added in:

Vulkan™-compatible components

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 and later support the following AMD APUs and Radeon™ GPUs1 based on the Graphics Core Next architecture on Windows® 7, Window® 8.1, Windows® 10, and Linux®

Seems like you need to download the full AMD Driver package to get Vulkan installed. Device Manager is just installing the Driver and any related software like Radeon settings but not installing Vulkan.

You can download the full Crimson 17.1.1. AMD Driver package from 3dGURU: AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.1.1 driver download 

This is the Driver that GPU-Z is showing that you have currently installed. It does support Vulkan. So once you download the full package it should also install Vulkan API and enable it in your GPU Card.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What is the year of the AMD Driver Device Manager installed?

What is your computer setup information?

The error you received is a AMD Driver issue since Vulkan is installed by the AMD Driver.

Run GPU-Z with the AMD Driver you have now installed and look at the bottom of GPU-Z.  See if OpenCL and Vulkan are checked marked. If they are not, this means the AMD driver hasn't enabled OpenCL and Vulkan on your GPU card.

I have an Nvidia GPU Card but the APIs that I underlined should be the same ones your GPU card should have checked mark. The others are specifically for Nvidia GPU Cards.

I have R7 260x 1gb XFX,  i3 4130 and 8gb ram

Driver version is in screenshot below, but as I said, if i update it, my stuff stops working

gpu.JPG

0 Likes

According to AMD Vulkan API was added in:

Vulkan™-compatible components

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 and later support the following AMD APUs and Radeon™ GPUs1 based on the Graphics Core Next architecture on Windows® 7, Window® 8.1, Windows® 10, and Linux®

Seems like you need to download the full AMD Driver package to get Vulkan installed. Device Manager is just installing the Driver and any related software like Radeon settings but not installing Vulkan.

You can download the full Crimson 17.1.1. AMD Driver package from 3dGURU: AMD Radeon Software Crimson ReLive 17.1.1 driver download 

This is the Driver that GPU-Z is showing that you have currently installed. It does support Vulkan. So once you download the full package it should also install Vulkan API and enable it in your GPU Card.

This seems to did it. 

Thanks mate, its really time to upgrade .