cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kunoraccoon
Adept I

Vulkan software not working on A8-9600

I'm trying to run videogames (specifically DOOM, but also happens in other games) using the Vulkan API settings, but after changing the setting, the game crashes with no error messages, or doesn't open at all. For what I've read, my APU supports Vulkan, but I can't seem to run anything under it. I already updated my drivers (it's currently on Adrenalin 20.4.1), how can I fix this?

Here's a video that shows DOOM running under an A8-9600 using Vulkan settings:

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

0 Likes
20 Replies

A little confused.

You mentioned you can't run DOOM in Vulkan mode yet you post a video showing DOOM running with Vulkan

"For what I've read, my APU supports Vulkan, but I can't seem to run anything under it."

Can you clarify your question, please?

0 Likes

I apologize if it sounded vague or confusing, I was quite tired at the time I wrote the thread;

The video isn't mine, it's a benchmark video uploaded by another user. I, myself, can't get the game running in that mode because it crashes as soon as I switch it (and then I can't launch the game anymore unless I change it from the configuration file)

0 Likes

Download GPU-Z and run it.

At the bottom it will show everything that is enabled for your GPU whether it is integrated or discrete.

If the box next to Vulkan doesn't have a check mark on it, that means the Vulkan is disabled on your GPU. Which means your AMD Driver installation is corrupted.

I have an Nvidia GPU card but just showing you what to look for when you run GPU-Z (Free program):

On your AMD is should show Vulkan, OpenCL, OpenGL, DirectML boxes check marked. DirectML is a new one for me but it used to be DirectX I believe.

CUDA, PhysX, & Ray Tracing is for Nvidia GPU cards.

Here is the latest AMD Driver Release Notes for your APU (you can download it from here also): https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-4-1 

If that doesn't work then try a Previous AMD Driver in case the latest is buggy: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/apu/amd-series-processors/amd-a8-series-apu-for-desk... 

I have downloaded GPU-Z and all of those boxes seem to be checked. However the bottom image you sent is amazing news and got me really excited! I already gave up on DOOM Eternal but I'm going to redownload it now and update with results. Thank you so much for this

Amazing news, the game does open! This is definitely progress since DE crashed completely on launch.

In other not so amazing news... it has the exact same issue DOOM 2016. After about 3 seconds, it freezes on the Bethesda/ID intro. I have yet to test DOOM 2016 to see if it works, but this is what I have so far.

EDIT: DOOM 2016 shows no new results. It still freezes when it hits the main menu.

0 Likes

Just know you have to have one of the last couple AMD drivers to run DE. The older ones don't have the latest Vulkan version compatibility. Hopefully them listing it as known issue means it will get fixed really soon. 

Do the latest games specify which version of Vulkan, OpenCL or OpenGL is needed to run the games?

Normally I haven't seen that type of info when I go to a game site for requirements.

0 Likes

No I have looked and they do not but many of the review sites for the game mentioned it. Regardless the older driver wont even launch DE. 

0 Likes

Vulkan 1.2 that DE uses though was just officially released by Khronos back in January 2020. 

0 Likes

I believe iD Tech 7 is the first and only game engine currently using Vulkan 1.2, just as Doom 2016 sported Vulkan 1.1.  There will be more games in the near future though as some of the next gen consoles are going to support Vulkan games. I believe both Sony and Nintendo have announced official support. 

0 Likes

Actually it is a good idea as part of a Game's requirement to state which API (Vulkan, OpenCL or OpenGL) versions are supported by a game.

0 Likes

I could not agree more. I don't know exactly why they don't. Once upon a time games used to always list this stuff. If I had to venture a guess as to why they don't do it often these days, it would go like this: Now that games exist for years in many cases in active development, they now evolve and have changing requirements as they evolve. I would guess if you leave it vague you don't confuse future version wrong older information either. I would guess they just leave it up to developers to coordinate with the driver teams what is needed. 

0 Likes
kunoraccoon
Adept I

Sorry for the bump, but I'd really like to get this issue fixed...

0 Likes

FYI this is a USER TO USER forum. Nobody from the AMD driver development team here participates. If you want AMD to know make sure to open a support ticket with the issue:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
kunoraccoon
Adept I

I read somewhere that I had to install the Vullkan SDK to fix this, however I found the Vullkan Runtime Libraries, so I thought I'd give it a try, and it fixed it! There seems to have a problem with the ones AMD built in their drivers.

Here's a link to anyone having the same issue (download the latest Runtime/ZI, not the SDK)

LunarXchange 

Thank you all for your answers, I really appreciate your help!

I imagine that the Vulkan included with the AMD Driver package should have installed the correct Runtime libraries but since in your case it fixed DOOM I suggest you open an AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) advised them of what fixed the game for you.

It is possible DOOM requires some extra Runtime LIbraries that is not installed by AMD Driver which AMD could add in their next Driver update. Plus it might also fix Vulkan issues with other latest games that run on Vulkan.

You can advise AMD Support from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

By the way, Good troubleshooting!

True! about the other games. I know there have been many reports of issues with recent drivers with the older Doom 2016 that used to work great with AMD drivers. 

I think it I will mention amdmatt. This is a significant find that hopefully he will pass along to engineering. 

That'd be amazing! I used the contact form above, but it would be great if you did. Thanks a lot

0 Likes