cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lubchoh
Adept I

Vulkan problem - games not launching

I mainly play World of Warcraft Classic and haven't had much issues, games runs solid. Fallout 4 runs stable. Problem is with all Vulkan games which crash at start without even seeing game logo. Some just hang with black screen. Some throw an error or exception. Doom even appears to switch off the display. Game tested so far - Doom (runs in OpenGL mode); Doom Eternal; Red Dead Redemption 2. Also Civilization 6 it starts in DX11 mode but I've never made it into the game itself.

The tests with Doom made me realize it is somehow Vulkan-related since Doom also runs fine on OpenGL. Also that the games don't start at all when Vulkan is enabled (it is not the usually reported black screens or crashes 2 minutes into the game but not reaching the menus at all).

GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700

Dual-monitor setup: HDMI Freesync 75Hz 1080p primary monitor + VGA-DISPLAYPORT (adapter) secondary 1366p no Freesync

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 2x8 @ 3200Mhz ran both Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and memtest - RAM is fine

PSU: AORUS P750W - two separate cables go to GPU; also tested with Corsair 650W supply

Motherboard: MSI B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX latest bios 7B86vH7

Windows: Windows 10 first 2004 and then 20H2 - same problem with both

Temps seem fine. Never overclocked anything. No boost software enabled.

So far:

1. I've tried DDU multiple times deleting all NVIDIA, AMD, Intel drivers in Safe mode and re-installing AMD drivers, even tried older drivers like 19.12.1

2. Any minor fixes and tweaks that I found online like disabling game mode, disable fast boot, xbox bar, disabling shader cache in steam, disabling all overlays in steam, removing software that might use overlays (discord, etc), any possible hooks to Vulkan, increased virtual memory size manually, verified and reinstalled game multiple times, disabled and enabled most options from radeon software, disabled and enabled freesync etc, etc

3. Re-adjusting the video card and connectors (but World of Warcraft and several other games seem to run fine, so I don't think it is that)

4. Fiddled with BIOS settings - force PCIE3, different XAMP profiles on and off, different settings for PCIE 4444 88, etc

5. Logs before I reinstalled Windows DxDiag (https://justpaste.it/76kyi) and Vulkaninfo (https://justpaste.it/9cscz)

6. Reset Windows 10 - after that unplugged Ethernet cable and installed only video card drivers "win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.9.1-sep29" - same issue remains.

7. Tried removing secondary monitor, issue persists.

8. Installed Vulkan SDK and runtime separately.

9. Tried to overvoltage a bit and underclock GPU a bit - no improvement.

10. GPU-Z lists Vulkan as working properly, but there are couple of problems render test makes both monitors blink and also some how changes slot version from x16 3.0 to x16 1.1 and to x16 3.0 and to x16 1.1 etc (I heard the render test doesn't always work properly with 5700 tho), if I disable f. GPU-Z also lists some strange memories here, not sure if normal: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/20/11/06/qmy.png - can it actually be a problem with the motherboard or pcie slot or motherboard bios?

11. Added all games and folder to Windows Defender exclusions. Ran games as admin.

Any help or tip appreciated. Getting out of ideas. On a side note what is the Vulkan support forum or how can I report it to the Vulkan team?

Roadmap of future ideas I will try: reset CMOS; downgrade the mother board's bios to different versions; test with my old rx480 card to check if it mother board or card related; remove chipset drivers.

6 Replies

Sounds like you have done the right things to isolate the issue. 

Granted it was several drivers back but I played Doom with no issues on an RX 580 with no problem. Navi is a different architecture so it could be a driver issue still or another issue in your system causing the problem or the GPU hardware. 

You might want to run the issue past Saphire support to see if they think you may have a card issue. 

You can contact AMD support here:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Want to do couple of more tests tomorrow before contacting the support. Meanwhile I did couple more tests and updated the post.

0 Likes

Some of the game developers have support and or forums too. You might contact their support as they may already know their games are having issues on certain architectures. It may be something they, AMD or both need to work on to fix. Often times those game developers can have better contacts at AMD for getting something fixed then we do as end users. The more reports of issues all of the above get the faster issues get resolved. 

Meanwhile tested another Vulkan game Rise of the Tomb Rider - same stuff, not launching... The computer is AMD-based it has AMD processor with AMD GPU with AMD compatible mother board, gonna mail the AMD team. Hope they can work it out.

I deleted my previous reply since I didn't fully read your original post.

Here is Khronos Forum : Khronos Forums - Khronos Standards community discussions 

Khronos is the developer and creator of Vulkan API. But not sure if you will be able to post there or not.

Maybe they might be able to direct you to a Forum or Support site that can help you if you can't post.

Thanks they seem to have driver issue category will post there too.