cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VR-Tek WVR1 Virtual Reality Headset Doesn't Work With Adrenaline Versions Past 18.1.1?

First of all, yeah, I've got a really uncommon headset that barely anybody seems to know about or have. I got it because it's cheap and I wanted something to play No Man's Sky VR with when it comes out. So the cool thing is that the headset works great! The bad thing is that it only works so long as my Adrenaline version is no higher than 18.1.1. Why? I don't know, and that's what I came here to maybe find out, and I kind of hope to get AMDs attention on the matter, because people with Nvidia cards don't seem to have the problem I'm having on this headset (I know this because I have looked around all over the internet for answers, and have dissected every comment on the slickdeals website regarding the headset for clues). 

So here are the details:

The problem that occurs is that on any Adrenaline version above 18.1.1, SteamVR DOES start with no errors, but the headset itself only gets pushed the first frame of the game when it starts and no further frames get loaded. This results in my seeing a static image of the room you start out in in SteamVR home in the right eye. If I show the headset mirror, I can see that the mirror itself works properly; even the tracking works in the mirror. I can move the headset around while looking at the mirror on my monitor and the game responds just fine on the mirror, just not in the headset. Moving back down to 18.1.1 version of Adrenaline fixes the problem and I can use the headset just fine, but then I can't play Star Wars Battlefront 2 (unpopular opinion but, I looove that game, it's my favorite online game). 

As a formality and to help anybody who may know a fix, here are my hardware specs:

Headset: VR-Tek WVR1 

Monitor: Acer G276HL

GPU: AMD RX 580

CPU: Intel I5 4690

RAM: 24 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (can't remember the brand, don't feel like opening my case)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-SLI-CF (SOCKET 0)

Storage: 1863 GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164(SATA)

931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA)
111GB INTEL SSDSC2CW120A (SATA (SSD))

Sound: Presonus AudioBox USB 96

Also, some extra info. I tried this Trinus PSVR trick that other people who have used the VR-Tek headset have tried and said worked, and that didn't work either. Supposedly, installing Trinus's VR drivers to SteamVR made the headset work... Normally, you would install Direct-Tek's Holoview drivers, and those are what allow the computer and the headset to communicate. I'm assuming that the drivers Trinus offers must be compatible with the headset, but they probably would only work right if I had Adrenaline ver. 18.1.1, seeing as the headset's normal drivers don't work on any version above that. Another side note, the headset itself works as a monitor just fine on any Adrenaline version, it just won't play VR games above Adrenaline 18.1.1 because of the frame issue. 

I tried contacting Direct-Tek about the issue, and they never responded. Seeing as it is a compatibility thing between the the headset's drivers and AMD, I figured maybe talking about it here could possibly yield some desirable results, although I'm not going to get my hopes up on it; I'm thinking a lot of people are going to say something like "just return the headset, buy a Vive," to which I'm going to say right now: the Vive isn't an option for me at the moment, and neither is the Oculus. If you are going to make that sort of comment, don't waste your time on it, because I won't take it into consideration or give it any attention. 

Regards,

-The Janitor

0 Likes
7 Replies

AMD has it own VR software that works with AMD Processors while Intel also has it own VR Software the works with Intel Processors.

This is Intel VR Software : Virtual Reality Powered by Intel® Technology 

This is AMD VR Ready software: Radeon™ VR Ready | Latest Graphics Technology | AMD 

You may need to use Intel VR Software since you have a Intel Processor and see if it helps with AMD GPU driver  for the RX 580. Here is the latest one: Radeon™ RX 580 Drivers & Support | AMD 

It is possible your VR Headset, which are very inexpensive, may not be compatilble with the current VR software or AMD Driver.

Found out the Manufacturer is Direkt-tek which has drivers and manual for your VR Glasses from here: http://direkt-tek.com/support/ 

If you still are having trouble, I would open a Direkt-tek Support Ticket and see what they recommend.

At the moment, I have a support ticket open with AMD. Direkt-Tek didn't follow up with me on the support ticket I submitted there (they probably don't care, to be honest). Hopefully this issue can get resolved. I think it will require a driver update either on AMDs end or Direkt-Tek's end. It would obviously be better if Direkt-Tek did it, but they never responded to me, and I don't think they're going to. 

As for the info about Intel's VR software, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Intel has 3D videos you can watch. As far as I could tell from looking at the site, they don't have any kind of actual drivers for VR devices. As far as I know, no integrated graphics can handle VR anyways, so they don't have any reason to provide VR drivers. That's strictly a GPU thing, as far as I know. 

0 Likes

Are you using Windows built in VR feature or AMD VR software?

Try updating your Intel processors and other intel hardware using Intel own Driver Updater called "Intel Driver and Support Assistant". Once you have all your Intel hardware drivers updated including the Intel integrated Graphics then also make sure you have the latest BIOS installed on your motherboard. Now try installing the latest RX 580 AMD Driver and see if it works. I believe Intel must have the latest APU driver installed for that latest AMD Driver to work, at least, in laptops but maybe also in Desktops.

I went to Intel Support for driver downloads and saw an updated driver for your Processor series dated 03/2019.

If you continue to have problems with the VR Set after installing the latest AMD Driver. Go to "Device Manager" and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks or Error messages.

From your original post it does sound like a driver issue since it worked in a previous AMD Driver and not the latest. So, as you mentioned, it is either a VR Headset Driver needs updating or AMD Driver needs to be updated to support your VR Headset or Windows VR needs to be updated.

You did the correct action by opening a AMD Support Ticket. Lets us know what they say. But I suspect the problem is with your cheap VR Headset which probably needs a VR Driver update from the manufacturer.

Both the RX 580 and your legacy Intel Processor supports VR. Have you tried using a different resolution on the VR Headset or tried using different configuration settings?

0 Likes

I thought maybe it would be a resolution issue before, and that maybe what happens when I launch SteamVR is that the first frame gets through and then the AMD drivers start doing something that doesn't agree with the headset or its drivers. However, since the headset only works in direct mode, I can't change the resolution for it when it's trying to play games. When it isn't in direct mode, Windows recognizes it as a monitor, and it shows the resolution as being the only resolution it supports: 1920x1080. However, that option is greyed out; I cannot changed the resolution. I think it's something to do with freesync... One of the changes from 18.1.1 to the driver version after that was something to do with freesync. I'm just guessing, though. I have yet to try the driver update stuff for my processor because I have been working on a paper all day. I am going to try that when I get the chance.

So far with the AMD support ticket, the support expert has asked me to provide extra details, which I have. I should hear back from them soon. As for Direkt-Tek, I still haven't heard anything back from them. 

Thanks for the helps so far; hopefully, this can come to a conclusion which will be a learning experience for everyone involved. That way we will at least get something out of it, even if my issue never gets resolved. 

shasta
Journeyman III

Hi, I am having the same issue you were having, with the exception that I did hear back from Direkt-tek, but wasn't able to resolve the issue with them. After purchasing mine in November, I contacted Direkt-Tek because the headset didn't work, and their response was that there was going to be an update on January 25th to fix the issues. After the update didn't work, they told me to send in the headset for repairs, and to give them 6-8 weeks for the repairs. I contacted them again after 9 weeks, and received a reply back stating that the headset I sent in wasn't repairable, and they sent me a new one. I received it March 25th, contacted them to let them know that I was experiencing the same issue as before, and haven't heard back from them. I periodically google to see if anyone else has had the same issue/was able to resolve it, and came across your post. I was wondering if you and AMD were able to come to a resolution with getting the WVR1 headset to work?

0 Likes
thesnowman24
Journeyman III

Hi, I am looking to buy the wvr1 and I have an rx 570. My software is Adrenalin 19.5.2 I am looking to use this for american truck sim. I have seen many people have problem with software higher that 18.1.1 but these problem are months ago, so I am wondering the issue where it won't work is fixed. Please let me know if it is fixed or I am just dumb and it is still broken.

0 Likes

Unsure if the OP was able to resolve their issues, but for me, it's still broken Seen on a few forums where some users said the WVR3 works but haven't tried it.

0 Likes