Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VirusAm
Adept I

VR motion smoothing not working with recent drivers

Good morning  everyone.

Some days ago I jumped to the red side of cards.

I just completed my ryzen 5900x build with an rx6900xt (sapphire nitro+ SE), but I am really new to Radeon cards (it was ATI last time I had one) and so I don't have familiarity with AMD options and quircks.

However I am an enthusiast Flight Simulators VR user (Digital Combat Simulator mainly) and so for me it is very important to have a good VR experience.

Well as soon as I installed the new card (after nuking old drivers with Display Drivers Uninstaller) i installed the latest ones, thinking the latest is always the best. Well I had an awful experience, stuttering, low fps (even in the main game menu), artifact and no Motion Smoothing Working (I have a valve index). I started to search and saw that many other users have the same issue. So I tried some older drivers, for example the WHQL 22.5.1 and while the situation was better (better stability and FPS) still the motion smoothing was not working correctly (as I was used with my older rtx 2080ti card).

So I tried a much older driver (I found a suggestion on Reddit), specifically the 21.5.2 from may 2021, and WOW everything butterysmooth and when needed motion smoothing working as I was used to. 
So in the end the card is very good, but there is something in the newer drivers which causes these issues.

Motion Smoothing (and the other reprojection technologies from the other vendors) are very important for the VR users, especially for flight simulators which hardly can keep the maximum frame rate for the headset all the time, so this is a critical issue and I don't understand how there are so few references with it.

Is AMD aware?Is there a fix in the works?

I don't see any mention of it in the known issues section of the drivers release notes (the latest one mentions a VR flickering issue).

And is it possible that after more then an year this important issue has not been solved or at least aknowledged from AMD?

I am willing to to a proper bug report to AMD, but which is the way?
Is this forum enough or there are other means?

As written above I am a new user (about amd video-cards), so apologies for any mistake I could have made.

Best regards

0 Likes
0 Replies