cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ks42
Adept I

Videocard AMD+Intel

Hi, i have problem with discrete video card in my notebook HP 350 G2. In driver found two: Intel HD Graphic 5500 and AMD Radeon R5 M200. But when i rendering video (example in Adobe Premiere) or have other hard graphic work. Discrete video card (Radeon) is not working - in Task Manager see 0%, when Intel have 100%. I use notebook several year and tried install different driver (last win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.2.2-mar5).

19 Replies

By default..all laptops will use the integrated (in your case Intel) graphics to run Adobe Premier. There are ways to disable the Intel graphics and force the laptop to use the discrete graphics. Here is a method I found, but have not tried. If it works it is much easier than other methods.

How To Force An App To Use The Dedicated GPU On Windows 

Force App To Use AMD Graphics Card

You can force an app to use your AMD graphics card but it isn’t as easy, or as accessible as the NVIDIA  option. With AMD, you can select which apps will use the dedicated graphics card. You don’t have an option in the context menu. Instead, you add apps to the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Open the AMD Catalyst Control Center app by right-clicking on an empty area on your desktop. Select ‘Catalyst Control Center’ from the context menu. From the list of panels on the left, select ‘Power’. Under ‘Power’, select ‘Switchable application graphics settings’.

Here you will see a list of apps that AMD already recognizes as needing better GPU support. On this panel is an ‘Add Application’ button. Click it and select the EXE of the app you want to force to use the AMD graphics card.

After you add the application, open the dropdown next to it for setting graphics options. Select ‘High performance’ and you’re done. The app will always use AMD graphics card.

We should mention that some options may differ depending on your driver version and the GPU model you have. These solutions will still work but the options may be found under a different menu.

You might check Intel support for the latest driver....WU is not always the latest. Use their "Autodetect' tool..

Downloads for Graphics Drivers 

Thanks you for answers.
I tried use windows setting, but gpu 1 is not working.
All driver already updated.
In latest version software Radeon didn't have same function.
Please, see in screenshot. windows setting.jpgradeon software.jpgintel driver.jpg

0 Likes

The 'switchable' function has been removed from the graphics drivers for Win10 starting with the new 'Adrenalin 2020'. The option is now located under  'Display' of your computer...."Graphics'. 

Yes, i try with Win10. See in first screenshot.

Install and run Hardware Monitor while you are playing a game. When you quit the game check/post your readings:

windows setting2.jpgI installed and ran Hardware Monitor. Check test: converting video (about 10 minutes), next i opened video 4K (have a freezes). Uniconverter and mpc player added in win10 setting. During test GPU1 is not working.OHM test1_1.jpg

0 Likes

It looks to me that the R5 is being used.

0 Likes

I'm not sure, that 300 may just be the idle speed of one core?

I would suggest the OP run DDU and return to the last driver provided by HP. Then see what results they get. 

0 Likes

On the Hardware  Monitor screenshot...it shows the graphics used as the R5 M200 series

0 Likes

the task manager says 0%. The open hardware monitor has the core results of the screen. Wish we could see that. 

Maybe its at idle? Yeah..OP please take another screenshot so we can see the graphics results. It's cut off in the screenshot.

0 Likes
ks42
Adept I

You want to help? That's wonderful!
I repeated the test on example "UniConverter". I start the programm on converting video. CPU have 100%, GPU 2 is 0% during test. All driver is updated. "UniConverter" added in windows 10 setting graphics how "high performance". "Open Hardware monitor" has running. See in picture.OHM test2.jpg

0 Likes

The Intel GPU is only 1% usage and that is likely just the OS subsystem. I am not familiar with this software. It doesn't appear to be using a GPU at all only CPU?

The high performance graphics applies to 3D graphics...not 2D. Some programs ,OGL, Adobe, etc will not use the performance graphics by default...all laptops are the same.

0 Likes
ks42
Adept I

You right. In "Uniconverter" and "Premiere" i try install GPU accelerate but setting in not active. Maybe because my video card doesn't have Open CL.
But how i can to test work GPU on my laptop? What is programm?

0 Likes
ks42
Adept I

Used AIDA64 with GPU test. Result is very strange. During test the GPU 2 not active again.
Maybe in games video card is work, but i don't game. In this laptop Radeon AMD is unnecessary  device. Maybe Intel CPU better work with NVIDEA card.20200510 aida64 gpgpu.png

0 Likes