cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE ~ Atikmpag.sys | with Ryzen APU'S (Ryzen 5 2400G + Ryzen 3 2200G)

BSOD

TDR stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components in Windows.

It’s supposed to be there to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there’s an issue of long delay.

Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR | Microsoft Docs

The GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor. This behavior can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• You may need to install the latest updates for your display driver, so that it properly supports the TDR process.
  • Hardware issues that impact the ability of the video card to operate properly, including:
    • Over-clocked components, such as the motherboard
    • Incorrect component compatibility and settings (especially memory configuration and timings)
    • Insufficient system cooling
    • Insufficient system power
    • Defective parts (memory modules, motherboards, etc.)
  • Visual effects, or too many programs running in the background may be slowing your PC down so that the video card can not respond as necessary.

~ Seems to be a rampant issue with a quick search through the AMD forums

The problem here is with the GPU drivers. They haven't been fixed since the day these APUs came out. They cause BSODs, slow OpenGL performance, visual distortion, and full on crashes requiring shutdown via reset button or holding the power button.

Here's all the random possible solutions I've come across:  (FYI IT'S STILL NOT FIXED)

BIOS:

- Lower OC RAM speeds to 2133 MHz     --> Still Crashing

- Increase voltage a little to RAM + CPU (1.2 V)  --> Still Crashing

- Turn off Cool N Quiet --> Still Crashing

- Turn off Core Perf Boost and Global C-State --> Still Crashing

- Turn off auto-voltage for CPU since it can cause spikes in voltage  --> Still Crashing

- Increased VRAM to 2 GB --> Still Crashing

Hardware:

- Replace your Memory Modules with something on your Mobo QVL List  --> Will problem do this next.  (Currently using Corsair LPX ram... will probably try Amazon.com: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DR x8 Unbuffered DIMM 288-Pin Memory...

Driver:

- Uninstall all previous drivers with DDU

- Install AMD Chipset Drivers under the 'Optional Downloads' tab. --> Ryzen Desktop APU's

- Install AMD GPU Drivers under the Main Tab  --> Ryzen Desktop APU's

--> Still Crashing

List of other drivers that may be good or bad...

- Wi-Fi Driver

- LAN Driver ~ One user said he uninstalled this and the bsods went away

- Realtek Audio Drivers

--> Still Crashing

Windows 10:

- Modify registry entry to increase GPU processing time [1] & [2​]    --> Still Crashing

- Fixed when I selected 8bit (adjusted from 10bit) color in Radeon Settings.Even better when I selected 4:2:2 in HDMI output.

- Boot into a clean boot state (AMD Support through email told me to do this) --> Still Crashing

- Noticed in Event Viewer that before every Kernel-Power BSOD there was 'EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv'...

Speccy

21 Replies