cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

wnightmare
Journeyman III

Video shutting down while playing games

Hello, recently my pc turns off the video while playing games. Thinking it might the PSU i got a new one (650W) but the problem still happens. It crashes on most game, for exemple Guild Wars 2, Black Desert Online and ANNO:Mutationen to list a few.

The only to recover from said crash is to restart the PC, and i also need to reinstall the driver. Did try to search for a solution but did not find any.

My specs:
Card: ASUS AMD RADEON RX 580 OC 4GB, GDDR5 - DUAL-RX580-O4G
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor 3.79 GHz
Ram: 32Gb        
PSU: Corsair RM650X, 650W, 80 Plus Gold

0 Likes
9 Replies

The cards dying were used in mining and all came from the same sellers.

Ignoring your nonsense, @wnightmare you should try running OCCT and try the power test. It will draw as much power as your system could under any load, so if the problem is power delivery, it will trigger the shutdowns.

Also you should check event viewer and see if there are any errors that coincide with the shutdowns.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

OCCT shuts the video the same way. It looks like its a power problem, but it might be cause the GPU has died or some of its components anyway.

I just changed my PSU for one a 650W one, and i had a 600W which has worked with this GPU for at least 3 years, so it seems my gpu need to be laid to rest =/

Thank you for your help

That is unfortunate, however the life cycle of a gaming GPU is around 5 years. Some can get their hardware to work longer but it may just be the end for your GPU. It's always sad to hear hardware is no longer functioning properly. 

I am personally waiting for next gen and going to keep using my RX 6800 XT until then, that is if the 7800XT doesn't blow the 6800XT out of the water. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Solved: Claims that Radeon Driver killed RX6800/6900 cards - AMD Community

0 Likes
sirJoke
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.. total freeze of the video and the computer since I can't use any commands, but the audio keeps going. I resolve only with the restart. It all started from the adrenalin update to version 23.3.1 (I skipped the first release due to the problems we all know) AMD should start to product drivers more INTELligently.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

If you would like help with this issue, please provide the information required to get help.

Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

vydenis
Journeyman III

My video output crashes playing Battlefield 2042, but yesterday I crashed in Modern Warfare 2 also in a similar fashion, therefore it makes me think its not the games... I have 5900x and 6800xt.

You can hear fast weird beeps on the earphones and the screen goes black. My motherboard debug leds jump from CPU to GPU and stays there. The post code reads d6.

Its weird that these problems coincide with both 2042 season 3 update and the yesterdays mw2 update lol.

hope it gets solved, because I could play BF 2042 flawlessly before season3.

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I have zero problems with Modern Warfare 2, but I have not played BF2042 yet. It could be that you need to verify game files, or your drivers are corrupt for some random reason. 

I would start by running elevated Command Prompt and using SFC /scannow, to verify your file system is fine. Then I would open elevated PowerShell and run DISM /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth, if this finds issues I would run DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Moving on, I would then verify the games files. If there are still issues, I would run DDU and restart then reinstall the GPU drivers that work for your hardware. 

0 Likes