Video freeze with 18.4.1 - Firefox and RX 480

• Radeon RX480 4GB
  • Desktop
  • Win10 Pro 64bit (1803)
  • Radeon software and driver 18.4.1
  • One 12" WUXGA screen connected via HDMI
  • Ryzen 7 1700X on an ASRock AB350M Pro4
  • 16GB RAM

Youtube videos in Firefox 59.0.3 (64bit) frequently stop playing back the video part. Audio is fine, everything keeps running, there does not appear to be an impact on any other applications, just the video stops. Sometimes it recovers by itself after about a minute, and seeking to any position in the video reliably makes stuff play again. The problem so far does not occur with older graphics drivers (used 18.3.1 before the update and now downgraded to 18.3.4).

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you update to 18.5.2 and let us know if you still experience this issue? ray_m

View solution in original post

26 Replies
erroneus
Adept I

I'm seeing the same problem in YouTube.

Also on 18.4.1 in Win 10 1803. Using a Sapphire RX580 8GB Nitro+.

0 Likes

um weird as i got a build on the 1803 with 18.4.1 drivers no issues with You tube or anything you have posted. Did you do the installs a clean installs or just as an update as it makes a huge diffrence. I clean install 10 on ssd with a DDU dump before I ever clean install 18.4.1 drivers or any AMD drivers. My builds run nothing special still use Windows defender/ Edge & ccleaner without an issue considering this build was plagued by issues due to nvidia drivers. Its not the 1803 or 18.4.1 drivers can tell you that its either the way its been installed or something conflicting you drivers to cause this. My stepson leaves his You Tube running when he goes to sleep with out it cutting out stuttering or replaying fire it up in the moring from where he left off no issues. Could be you internet connection to. All desktops in my house are on 300mb add in wifi cards they chop back when the networks maxs out but You tube not effected thinking maybe you internet more.

0 Likes

Not a clean install, but going to do one in a couple of days as I'm building a new Ryzen 7 2700X system. Not my Internet, works fine in Chrome, but not in Firefox. Works fine on a Lenovo T460s and a Surface Pro 4, both with Firefox and Win 10 1803.

It seems to be an issue with Firefox, Win 10 1803 and the 18.4.1 drivers.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

Tried Chrome?

Yes it works in Chrome.

It seems to be an issue with Firefox, Win 10 1803 and the 18.4.1 drivers.

Gonna try a reinstall of the 18.4.1 driver later and see if it helps.

I have seen this in Firefox randomly too. It just varies from video to video not sure if it is a certain encoder that it has issue with or what. Have seen this in earlier drivers and then it was fixed again. As said it works in other browsers so not a biggie. Open a support ticket to let AMD know about it, the more that do the faster it gets resolved. I already did. Here is the link for the support ticket: Email Form

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Just use edge its better than those 3rd party junkers they promote as browsers, stick with the tried a true Edge works wonders.

0 Likes

O_o While Edge is not as bad as it used to be, it could never be my daily browser, it simply lacks so many features and proper container support.

0 Likes

firefox is known to be problematic with youtube which has has been rebuilt to fight off adblocking

0 Likes

Can't say I've had much issues with video playback before. There was a time when Firefox would pretty reliably TDR AMD drivers regardless of programme (because who in their right mind uses Direct2D, I mean, come on, not even Microsoft themselves seem to be dogfooding it), but the video freezes appear specific to 18.4.1.

0 Likes
erroneus
Adept I

Reinstalling the 18.4.1 driver solved my problem with video freezes in Firefox.

I did a reinstall, but after maybe ten minutes of hope (longer than ever before), video froze again. Submitted it via feedback, hopefully there's a fixable subtle gremlin in there.

Disable your addons.

Try Crhome.

The issue does not occur with older drivers with the same (very few) addons.

I do not want to use Chrome; I find it to be a quite horrible user experience. Telling me to do so is not helpful. If I wanted to use it, I would do so. If an error occurs with a specific driver version and a specific game, you don't (usually) tell people to go play another game either.

0 Likes

Just to be clear it is helpful because, all any of us here, can offer you is suggested work arounds, that we have found ourselves or remember reading in these forums. So all of us are doing our best to help you. So if you don't like that help you are welcome to follow or not follow any advice you are given. These forums are not AMD Employee support forums. It is peer to peer support, meaning those helping you are users just like you, trying to help you as best we can, we don't fix drivers, we don't work for AMD. So yes, when anyone offers help for free and more importantly their time they are giving you, then yes it is certainly meant to be helpful, and whether or not you will use that advice, you should recognize that fact and be appreciative. All of this is explained in the links on the Forum Headers. If you need help from AMD then you need to let them know you don't want to use Chrome and they should fix their driver so you can use Firefox. You may open a support ticket here: Email Form

0 Likes

''You dont wanna use Chrome'' Or try at least to see if its better.

Some other guys ''Dont wanna use windows 10'' because they think windows 7 is better...

You guys come here for help, but you really dont accept any help.

0 Likes

Dude saying they should switch browsers are not helping, There can be multiple choices for choosing a specific browser.

Stop being but hurt, because your suggestion was not accepted.

0 Likes

Thanks. I'm gonna do the same. I thought I had it fixed, but seeing the same problem again now. It's clearly a problem with 18.4.1 as I'm not seeing this problem on two others systems running Win 10 1803 with Intel GPU's and also using Firefox with the same addons and settings synced.

0 Likes

I hope you opened a support ticket to let AMD know about this issue. Obviously you won't want to be stuck on an old driver forever.

0 Likes
evenprime
Journeyman III

I was able to fix it without having to reinstall the 18.4.1 drivers.
A simple "reset to factory settings" (or whatever that menu item is called in English) in the "Radeon Settings" software fixed it for me.

Based on that I'd guess that some (default) setting from a previous driver version is in conflict with this newest version.

Edit: Using Windows 10 with April 2018 Update, Driver 18.4.1 and Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card.

That seems correct. I haven't had the problem on a freshly built system, even though I'm using the same Firefox profile. I had the problem in Firefox.

0 Likes
erroneus
Adept I

So the problem occurred again for me, on my new system. Defiantly a bug in the latest AMD drivers.

Found a fix for Firefox from 1461166 - youtube video freezes but audio continues playing in background

In the URL bar, type about:config

Then search for media.wmf.amd.vp9.enabled the right column with the value will contain true, change it to false.

Tested with multiple videos now, this fixes freezes in Firefox.

0 Likes

My lenovo t500 has redeon graphics and it also has issues with rendering using the driver on windows update

I removed it and used the one on the download page and it worked better, maybe you should use DDU and clean up the driver stack

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please can you update to 18.5.2 and let us know if you still experience this issue? ray_m

Thanks, I've been using 18.5.2 for a few days now and it seems to have fixed the issue, but I need to see if I rolled back all acceleration-disabling in the browser.

Thanks, please let me know if you experience the issue again, I will mark my answer as correct.